Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Ace Wheels arrived

Old 12-27-2012, 07:28 AM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dbp
I've done H&R springs only on one of my BMW M coupes and it made the ride quality go to ****. The other M Coupe had full H&R Coilovers which were a vast improvement over stock. I have a set of H&R springs for the Vantage sitting in the garage and they will be installed after Christmas. I'll report back on ride quality. I've heard several people here say the ride quality improves or stays the same. I haven't read anyone say it degrades the quality. I'm a bit skeptical myself, but we'll see! The Aston has "coilovers" already, so it's probably that the struts are just of higher quality and able to deal with the lowering springs better than the BMW's I've previously used them with.

David
I have H&Rs on my DB9 and the ride is definitely stiffer, not horrible stiffer but more firm then the sport pack springs my car came with. The trade off is a much improved stance and better handling. I would do them again....

Old 12-27-2012, 09:05 AM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by drcollie

Wow DR. C, that offset really is to the max. Another couple of mm out and it would have been too much! Is there any wheelarch rubbing when traversing over large bumps/dips in the road?

Nice job.

FF

Old 12-27-2012, 12:00 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Duane, your car looks seriously good, the wheel finish along with the color of your car. I know you said you're not going to lower it but, it would really be over the top if you did. Looks a little up in the air? Maybe it affects the ride more in a V8V but my ride is not terrible and I went from sport pack springs to H&R. Are there any options for a softer ride?

From another thread:

Old 12-27-2012, 03:38 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
No rubbing as it is now...but boy - maybe if lowered. Then that's a real PITA when that happens as its either get the fender roller out, go back to stock springs, or change the wheels. And while I've rolled a lot of fenders in years gone by, I don't think I could do that to this car! I might try it if I can pick up some used springs, I'll keep an eye out for some that are for sale like the H&R's, they're only 3/4" drop and I can put them on myself - think I can still find my spring compressor.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:45 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ No need for a spring compressor, these cars have coilovers from the factory just replace the springs and re-install and re-align. The only issue is camber gain, but that's a known thing. I think you can adjust the wheel spacing with spacers if needed to resolve any rubbing issues, just a guess as I have the sport pack on my DB and have not lowered it, I think it sits perfect with the sport pack which is lower and more aggresive then standard and handles just right so didn't really see a need to lower it at this time if at all.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:52 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by LRDog
Duane, your car looks seriously good, the wheel finish along with the color of your car. I know you said you're not going to lower it but, it would really be over the top if you did. Looks a little up in the air? Maybe it affects the ride more in a V8V but my ride is not terrible and I went from sport pack springs to H&R. Are there any options for a softer ride?

From another thread:

That dog is about to get its hair lit on fire by the exhaust

Old 12-28-2012, 10:50 AM
dbp
dbp is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sunir
No need for a spring compressor, these cars have coilovers from the factory just replace the springs and re-install and re-align.
That's not true. I'm in the middle of this exact process now on my Vantage (writeup to follow). The stock springs have pre-load dialed in front and rear and the fronts required more cranks with the spring compressor than any BMW spring I've dealt with in my past. I really needed to grab the WHOLE spring with the compressors effectively get them unloaded from the upper perch. The rears didn't need nearly as much compression, but they did require quite a few more cranks than this image implies. The H&R springs do NOT require spring compressors to get on, which is great. The front actually needed about 10mm of compression to get on, but your impact wrench will do that just putting the top bolt on. The rear had about 10mm of flop. So to give you an idea of how much you need to effectively compress the springs, on the outsides of this photo are the H&R springs. The inner springs are stock. The Left two are front, and right two are rear.

Last edited by dbp; 12-28-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by dbp
That's not true. I'm in the middle of this exact process now on my Vantage (writeup to follow). The stock springs have pre-load dialed in front and rear and the fronts required more cranks with the spring compressor than any BMW spring I've dealt with in my past. I really needed to grab the WHOLE spring with the compressors effectively get them unloaded from the upper perch. The rears didn't need nearly as much compression, but they did require quite a few more cranks than this image implies. The H&R springs do NOT require spring compressors to get on, which is great. The front actually needed about 10mm of compression to get on, but your impact wrench will do that just putting the top bolt on. The rear had about 10mm of flop. So to give you an idea of how much you need to effectively compress the springs, on the outsides of this photo are the H&R springs. The inner springs are stock. The Left two are front, and right two are rear.

Perhaps the Vantage but, I didn't need a spring compressor to remove or reinstall H&Rs on my DB9

Last edited by LRDog; 12-28-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:05 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ What LR said. I dunno about the Vantage but doesn't appear so on DB9/DBS which are threaded coilvers from the factory, at least the sport pack is... the suspension looks like something right off the racing circuit

Old 12-28-2012, 03:15 PM
dbp
Don't mean to state the obvious here, but Duane does have a Vantage, so that's what we're talking about here. I just didn't want someone to get impaled by a spring when he removed the top bolt without compressing the spring. :-) The workshop manual is clear about the use of spring compressors though.

David

Old 12-28-2012, 03:17 PM
^^^ Excellent point David. You are right. We do not want any of our members hurt. Thank you for you valuable information and continued help

Old 12-28-2012, 04:38 PM
eelton is on a distinguished road
The rims look great, and they're quite a bargain. I'm tempted to buy a set for my Onyx black Vantage...maybe in this finish:

Old 12-28-2012, 04:43 PM
^^^ Not a fan of that color scheme at all. Have never seen it look good on any car let a,one an AM....

Old 12-28-2012, 04:46 PM
eelton is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LRDog
^^^ Not a fan of that color scheme at all. Have never seen it look good on any car let a,one an AM....
Thanks for the input. It would be good to see them on a car first. I don't like all-black wheels, but the two-tone somehow appeals to me.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:30 PM
dbp
Originally Posted by eelton
Thanks for the input. It would be good to see them on a car first. I don't like all-black wheels, but the two-tone somehow appeals to me.
Your wish was granted a few weeks ago. See the thread here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...n-vantage.html

I thought it would look good when I saw just the wheel, but on the car it looks horrible (the 20" size doesn't help, but the color alone looks wrong). I was thinking perhaps the Titanium finish would look good on darker colored cars, but I looked at that finish on some cars (there's photos online... none on an Aston, though) and even the Titanium doesn't look all that good.

David

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ace Wheels arrived