6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Ace Wheels arrived (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/294941-ace-wheels-arrived.html)

007 Vantage 12-22-2012 11:29 AM

I told you my offsets would be right on the money :). ... If they had a few mm higher it would be even better, but overall they look very good.

Definitely far superior than the stock wheels, and for $1200 that's a steal of a bargain!

shadowhusky 12-22-2012 12:04 PM

Duane,

Do you have a contact person over at Element Wheels? and what size and brand tires did you end up putting on?

Also, I was looking at the receipt that you provided in one of the earlier posts. Where does it say what the actual bolt pattern for these wheels?

drcollie 12-22-2012 12:08 PM

007Vantage: YES! I do appreciate your help - they came out well. Had I to do it over again I'd want to tuck the rears I about 1/2", but that's not enough to fuss about really.

Shadowhusky: I just ordered off their website at Element Wheel. Those are the stock Bridgestones on there, I just swapped the TPS sensors and tires from the factory 19" wheels as the tires only have 5K miles on them.

shadowhusky 12-22-2012 12:44 PM

I have a few more questions for you. Are the wheels hub centric or did you have to get hub rings for them?

I also dont see anyplace to specify Aston Martin on the Element Wheels website. Am I missing something?

drcollie 12-22-2012 12:48 PM

They are hubcentric.....pretty much just source the lug nuts and you're good to go. You *can* replace the TPS sensors if you're feeling rich, the batteries are good for 10 years in them and our 07's and coming up on 6 years old, but I decided that I'll probably burn off these tires about the time the TPS sensors need replacement.

shadowhusky 12-22-2012 12:53 PM

One more about the Element Wheels website. I think you might have responded before I edited it. You are extremely fast with your answers.

How do you specify Aston Martin on Element Wheels website? It is not even a option to pick in the drop down.

drcollie 12-22-2012 01:38 PM

LOL....I'm fast because I'm bored out of my mind in my furniture store today...no one buys furniture on 12/22 three days before Xmas, so I'm going back and forth from the Aston Forum to The BMW K1600 Forum, then to EBAY, and sadly enough, I've even gone to tmz.com to see the article about Kate Upton stripping for the Antarctic photo shoot...

Anyways, here's the link you want at Element Wheel, and just put in there for the car and they'll call you.... OR ..... my whole order was posted here earlier, I suppose in the comments you could just tell them to replicate that order using the order number if you want the same fitments. But they will call you on the phone before processing the order. Good luck!

http://www.elementwheels.com/proddet...ace-d7041910hs
http://www.elementwheels.com/proddet...ace-d7041910hs

dbp 12-22-2012 05:12 PM

They definitely look great! I think the car is in dire need of being lowered just the .75" that the H&R's provide, and these wheels somehow highlight that, but I know you said you're not interested in that. I just spent $400 on H&R spacers to get nearly this identical offset with stock 7 spoke anthracite wheels... makes me wonder if I should have put that money towards just a set like this. I do like the anthracite color, though. Oh well... Maybe another day.

David

shadowhusky 12-22-2012 05:56 PM

Thanks Duane

I appreciate all your help !!!!!!:D

drcollie 12-22-2012 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by dbp (Post 3724484)
They definitely look great! I think the car is in dire need of being lowered just the .75" that the H&R's provide, and these wheels somehow highlight that, but I know you said you're not interested in that.David

I hesitate to lower the car, David, only because in all my past rides it stiffens up the ride considerably and I'm not really willing to compromise on that for the better cosmetics of the lowered car. Now if you can tell me that the ride quality stayed the same .... then maybe my arm could be twisted!

007 Vantage 12-22-2012 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by drcollie (Post 3724341)
007Vantage: YES! I do appreciate your help - they came out well. Had I to do it over again I'd want to tuck the rears I about 1/2", but that's not enough to fuss about really.

I agree, but unfortunately 45mm offset was they highest they could offer in rear. 50mm would have been ideal. Either way, they came out MUCH better than the original offsets used in their thread which suck out WAY too much.

dbp 12-22-2012 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by drcollie (Post 3724590)
I hesitate to lower the car, David, only because in all my past rides it stiffens up the ride considerably and I'm not really willing to compromise on that for the better cosmetics of the lowered car. Now if you can tell me that the ride quality stayed the same .... then maybe my arm could be twisted!

I've done H&R springs only on one of my BMW M coupes and it made the ride quality go to ****. The other M Coupe had full H&R Coilovers which were a vast improvement over stock. I have a set of H&R springs for the Vantage sitting in the garage and they will be installed after Christmas. I'll report back on ride quality. I've heard several people here say the ride quality improves or stays the same. I haven't read anyone say it degrades the quality. I'm a bit skeptical myself, but we'll see! The Aston has "coilovers" already, so it's probably that the struts are just of higher quality and able to deal with the lowering springs better than the BMW's I've previously used them with.

David

plastique999 12-26-2012 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by 007 Vantage (Post 3722350)
Unfortunately nobody includes lugs with their wheels, also, Aston lugs are very wide in diameter and do not fit any aftermarket wheels. Most aftermarket wheels use aftermarket tuner Lugnuts in order to improve the wheels aesthetics, as big gaping holes can alter the wheels design (and integrity to some extent). One of the many headaches I learned from back when I ordered my Rennen wheels.

Luckily Aston uses Ford Truck splines (yes more ford parts bin diving). So it's relatively easy to find lugs, albeit not the best looking ones).

You mentioned Rennen wheels...how do you compare the ACE to the Rennen? Reason I ask is that I am trying to decide between the Donz Forged Ferranti wheels vs these ACE alloy wheels. I do like the 5 split spoke style although would like the split spikes to be closer together as in the Ferranti model.
ACE Wheels look great btw

drcollie 12-26-2012 02:20 PM

Goofing around with my admittedly poor Photoshop skills, and decided to post a before and after shot...nothing has changed on the car but the wheels. Photos taken about a month apart.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4adef8ef.jpg

007 Vantage 12-26-2012 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by plastique999 (Post 3726589)
You mentioned Rennen wheels...how do you compare the ACE to the Rennen? Reason I ask is that I am trying to decide between the Donz Forged Ferranti wheels vs these ACE alloy wheels. I do like the 5 split spoke style although would like the split spikes to be closer together as in the Ferranti model.
ACE Wheels look great btw

Rennens were $2500 for true CNC machined billet custom wheels. Still a great bargain compared to HREs which is $2500, but ACE are less than half of the Rennens at only $1200.

The Rennens were 21.5lbs front, 22.5lbs rear, which for 19x9, and 19x11 is very impressive weights.

Rennen the company is a huge pain in the ass to deal with, their recommended offsets are terrible, and they do not provide good lugnuts for the wheels (you are on your own kinda).

The wheels themselves were absolutely gorgeous, but it too 7 months to get them after wrong offsets were ordered and had to be redone.

All in all, I would not recommend going back that route, if you can get cast wheels with custom offsets that can easily be done quickly, I would recommend going that route to reduce headaches. If Ace could do 50mm rears they would be perfect offsets, but they only go up to 45mm unfortunately. (maybe with enough persuasion they will do it)

$1200 you cannot go wrong.