Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

High mileage Vantage V8-issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 12:46 PM
911MTB will become famous soon enough
High mileage Vantage V8-issues?

Perhaps I'm crazy but I have found what I believe to be a good deal on a 2006 Vantage V8, but, and it's a big but, it has 81,000 miles on it. Are there any known issues on these cars with that kind of mileage? What should I look for when I inspect it? It is a six speed manual. Thanks.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Aston502 will become famous soon enough
Hopefully it would have it's service papers or has a history of service at an Aston Martin dealership. I don't know of anyone with that many miles. Unless you are well versed in Aston Martins, you need to take it to someone that can put it on a computer and check it out thoroughly. Maintenance is pricey.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:23 PM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
I have been monitoring the UK based pistonheads user group for quite some time before I purchased my 2009 Vantage two years ago. The folks in the UK drive their Astons more than those in the US seem to, some of them near or over 100k miles on them.

The car and engines seem relatively bullet proof more so than Porsche's that I have been involved with for the last 25 years.

Clutches are a week point particularly if you abuse them. Oil leaks from the timing cover is another area to inspect especially on the pre 09 cars.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:16 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Is this a budget related decision? With all the choices, I would certainly look for one with fewer miles.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:25 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
I think I saw that car on autotrader.ca and it looks like it's in decent shape at the lowest price I've ever seen for a 2006 Vantage in Canada. Might just be flattering photography. Really that's only about 12K miles a year. About double what most seem to be used for, but maybe a lot of those were highway miles?

It might need clutch, brakes, tires, maybe wheel bearings or other suspension parts that could run you $10K+. Depends on the service history. Potential there if you go in with eyes wide open.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by yvr
I think I saw that car on autotrader.ca and it looks like it's in decent shape at the lowest price I've ever seen for a 2006 Vantage in Canada. Might just be flattering photography. Really that's only about 12K miles a year. About double what most seem to be used for, but maybe a lot of those were highway miles?

It might need clutch, brakes, tires, maybe wheel bearings or other suspension parts that could run you $10K+. Depends on the service history. Potential there if you go in with eyes wide open.
Yes I believe you have found the car I am considering. I have not had a chance to go look at it yet but it does appear to be in great shape in the photos. When I inspect it things might be drastically different. The price is certainly attractive, it makes it a much easier "sell" to my wife so budget is and isn't a factor depending on the amount of grief I want to endure. She's a great wife but this would be the 4th car in a two driver household.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:29 AM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911MTB
...She's a great wife but this would be the 4th car in a two driver household.
Well then, that's only a per-capita rating of 2 cars/person. That's far better than the 8 cars/person going on in my household.

Jeff

Old 12-27-2012, 10:54 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Thinking about this some more...

1. That kind of mileage suggests that there's probably some Ontario winter driving involved (road salt). Make sure your inspection includes removing the under pans to look for corrosion.
2. It's already a high-miler and depending on how you plan to use it it could be 100K miles when you go to sell. Sort of uncharted territory and you could take a big hit there.

If you can dazzle your wife with some "man math" and stretch another $20-25K there are some really nice looking Vantages advertised with about 1/3 the miles. Could be a net trade-off when you take repairs and resale into account.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:05 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I don't think the miles are an issue, these cars are build robust and made to go the distace, the engines and chassis are solid, simply make sure the car has a good service history and supporting documentation, and paperwork. Aston has a service log book that reicieves stamps to mark the cars service progression, this starts from the intial service on a new car. A well taken care of high mile (and technically 12K miles per year is not considered high miles by valuation guidelines 10 K a year is considered low miles) can be a better choice then a garage queen that barely gets driven and has carbon deposits and fouled plugs...

The guys in the UK do it right they enjoy these cars and drive the heck out of them...these are tough cars...remember, built FORD TOUGH haha (had to throw that in there)

Old 12-27-2012, 08:27 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Agreed. Look at the aviation industry. There are DC3's still flying regularly and the last civilian one rolled off the line in 1942, that's 70 years ago. There are still about 1,000 in regular, active service. If the machine was built right, and maintained on a schedule, you can run them a very, very long time.

In car world, looks at the late 50's Mercedes 300SL Gullwings and Roadsters. Built similar to an Aston Martin, they are all still on the road if they haven't been balled up.

My very first Porsche, a SWB 1970 911S I bought with 32K on the clock. I drove that car to 242,000 miles before trading it in on something newer. It has some rust, and the synchros were getting temperamental, and it burned a little oil through the valve guides but that car was solid and run hard.

I'd not be afraid in the least of a higher mileage Aston Martin, just make sure its valued accordingly.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:51 AM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
1. Wheel bearings
2. Clutch
3. Rear diff

Old 12-28-2012, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by Vergis
1. Wheel bearings
2. Clutch
3. Rear diff
I'm assuming the wheel bearings would be noisy if they are going, the clutch slipping or engagng at the top of the travel. What would be the indicators of the rear diff going? Anything else I should look for with the wheel bearings or clutch?

Old 12-28-2012, 03:49 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911MTB
the clutch slipping or engagng at the top of the travel. ?
clutch engaging high is normal for Astons, from my DB9 from what I've been told and for Vantage alike...the DB series has dual disc clutch so there is much less slipping and made to handle the torque of the v12, but from what I know the Vantage clutch has more slip in it. You should have the car looked over by an expert for a PPI

Old 09-23-2017, 08:51 PM
malahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to behold
Hi all, I know this is an old thread but i didn't want to start a new one since its the same topic.
I'm thinking of 06 V8 with 66k on the clock. 3 owners and plenty of AM Dealer maintenance showing up on the Carfax. Being sold by AM dealer as well where the car was serviced for last few years.
Would you suggest that i take it somewhere else for a PPI or would you trust AM dealer?

I've been reading up on usual things like timing cover issues, rough shifting in cold (manual) and a few other things. I would think with this many miles things would have been sorted out by now. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Old 09-24-2017, 01:07 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by malahhaor
Hi all, I know this is an old thread but i didn't want to start a new one since its the same topic.
I'm thinking of 06 V8 with 66k on the clock. 3 owners and plenty of AM Dealer maintenance showing up on the Carfax. Being sold by AM dealer as well where the car was serviced for last few years.
Would you suggest that i take it somewhere else for a PPI or would you trust AM dealer?

I've been reading up on usual things like timing cover issues, rough shifting in cold (manual) and a few other things. I would think with this many miles things would have been sorted out by now. Any thoughts?
Thanks
1. Even though the timing cover leak was likely fixed not this one in the past, it is likely to start leaking again. Several owners here have reported that theirs is now leaking again. So count on that probably happening again.

2. Clutch life left ---- it will need a clutch likely either now, or within 20k miles. You are looking I think at around 5k-8k for a new one. Most people are going with the Velocity v12 clutch and having those installed.

3. Thats about all I would worry about. Yes at some point the shocks will need replacing and they aren't cheap, and then plugs, ALL fluids etc.....

Biggest thing is price---- Guessing here, but I wouldn't pay anything over upper 30's for a car with that mileage. Likely low 30's. I bet the dealer doesn't have over 35k in it. Possibly even less. For low to mid 40's you can find a several year newer car, with less than 30k miles on it. Unless a screaming deal, then add 5k + to your dollar amount and get a low mileage one. You will have the same or similar maintenance not those.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: High mileage Vantage V8-issues?