Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

How To - Emotion control key - Battery Replacement

Old 12-30-2012, 09:28 AM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
How To - Emotion control key - Battery Replacement

Greetings,
This question has come up a few times, so here's a consolidated how-to thread for battery replacement in the "emotion control" key.

Applicability: DB9, Rapide, Vantage(?)

Battery #: 2032

Notes: Experience thus far indicates no need to reprogram the key to the car, providing the key was working with a weak battery at the time the new battery was installed.

Replacement - Plastic Key
1) Turn the key over with the small hole facing up
Name:  BattRepl1.jpg
Views: 7827
Size:  1.52 MB

2) Insert a small pin into the hole and push. The end cap should come off
Name:  BattRepl2.jpg
Views: 5885
Size:  1.51 MB

3) The end cap has a directional clip on the end, make sure to put it back on the same way
Name:  BattRepl3.jpg
Views: 5395
Size:  1.13 MB

4) With the end cap off, a slot is visible

5) Insert a screwdriver into the slot and twist in order to pry the 2 halves apart.
Name:  BattRepl5.jpg
Views: 5543
Size:  1.24 MB

6) And here's the battery.

7) Assembly is simple, snap the 2 halves back together and then snap on the end cap.

Replacement - Crystal Key
Originally posted by MikeD https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/292992-dbs-sapphire-key.html#post3699855
Remove the two small screws on the underside at the end opposite the sapphire. (Actually, you need to bring the screws out only halfway.)

Slide the steel housing off and then prepare to slide the remote out.

TIP: The four buttons float between the remote and the plastic housing. They are not attached to the part you will slide out. It's better to hold the remote with the buttons facing down while you're working on it and to leave those buttons in place.

Be careful when sliding the remote out because you could tear the rubber cover of the remote if it gets hung up the any of the four buttons.

Jeff

Old 01-02-2013, 11:46 AM
gircal is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the great demo, Jeff. I just completed mine and it worked out just fine.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:55 PM
courtier is on a distinguished road
Thanks for this! I followed your steps and it worked perfectly for my plastic key.

I do have a follow up question regarding the crystal key. I followed your instructions and was able to access the battery (after removing the six nearly invisible screws holding down the cover plate). But how does one access the circuit board on the crystal key from there? I'm looking to swap a board out of a loaner (Volvo) fob and I don't see any (easy) way to access the circuit board on the crystal key as I did on the plastic one. Thanks.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:51 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
Does anyone know if you can get replacement rubber buttons for these keys?

Old 03-11-2016, 06:17 PM
Batman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura about
Ask our local dealer of they have any old, broken, chipped, or otherwise useless FOBs laying around.

Some dealers keep parts for these laying around after they replace, or are unable to reprogram FOBs when replacing the computer mechanism...

Old 10-22-2016, 11:36 AM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
Anyone know who to open the crystal key fob for battery replacement?
I removed the tiny two screws, but no results. Its different than opening the plastic one.

TIA.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:50 AM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mto
Anyone know who to open the crystal key fob for battery replacement?
I removed the tiny two screws, but no results. Its different than opening the plastic one.
Greetings!

Since the plastic and crystal key are configured differently, I included a link at the bottom of my original post above, to crystal key instructions

Changing the battery is straightforward. The innards (the remote) are the same as with the plastic key.

Remove the two small screws on the underside at the end opposite the sapphire. (Actually, you need to bring the screws out only halfway.)

Slide the steel housing off and then prepare to slide the remote out.

TIP: The four buttons float between the remote and the plastic housing. They are not attached to the part you will slide out. It's better to hold the remote with the buttons facing down while you're working on it and to leave those buttons in place.

Be careful when sliding the remote out because you could tear the rubber cover of the remote if it gets hung up the any of the four buttons.

The rest will be apparent. I think the battery is a standard 2032

Old 10-22-2016, 11:50 AM
hkg1997 is on a distinguished road
After removing the two screws, slide diwn the chrome metal side.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:57 PM
lovingit is on a distinguished road
Has anyone replaced the metal key? Wondering what it costs

Old 11-25-2018, 09:17 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
You don't really need it unless you're not a driver or neglect maintenance. Its only available thru a dealer, about $350.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:02 AM
lovingit is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by J doubleU
You don't really need it unless you're not a driver or neglect maintenance. Its only available thru a dealer, about $350.
My car only came with the crystal and plastic key fob. Assuming I only have one of the key fobs with me at all times, if the battery runs out, then I have no way to unlock the car.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by lovingit
My car only came with the crystal and plastic key fob. Assuming I only have one of the key fobs with me at all times, if the battery runs out, then I have no way to unlock the car.
You need the metal emergency key for that reason. I recently had to go through this on my F-type. I took my VIN and proof of ownership to my local dealer and ordered a key cut to the VIN of my Jaguar. I would imagine you will have to do the same with your Aston. Note that my Jaguar dealer wanted either a copy of financing paperwork or my vehicle registration showing my name and VIN before they would order the key. An insurance card was not sufficient evidence.

Contact your local Aston dealer and to learn what they need before they will order your key.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:28 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
The dealer is suppose to change the battery as part of the annual or bi-annual service.