Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8 Vantage clutch noise

Old 01-17-2013, 12:25 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
V8 Vantage clutch noise

I have 21000Km on the odo and sometimes when I start it there is a high pitched wine until I remove some pressure of the clutch pedal? the clutch has no slipping issues and takes low to mid way on the pedal, the wine is not there when its hot and i noticed it first after a few days of standing after it was washed the noise (scream) is there when I press clutch in all the way during starting and as soon as I release about a centimeter of travel on the pedal its gone?

any ideas?

Old 01-17-2013, 01:09 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Not to scare you but, usually a squealing high-pitch sound like that is caused by the throwout (release) bearing. A high pitch means that friction is occurring and that generates heat which is not good.

I had it happen at Road Atlanta in my Esprit. A couple of laps later, I was at the hairpin (turns 6 & 7) and found myself unable to get out of gear and had to limp back to the pits. When we took the gearbox out, there were molten bits of metal from the ball bearings on the inside of the bell housing.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:13 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Thanks Karl just a question how will it be hot if its just starting? from cold? and does not happen when i drive it in traffic in +30 degree outside tempratures ... the last thing I can afford now is a clutch overhaul

Old 01-17-2013, 01:25 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
^^^The heat has nothing to do with ambient temperature. If the bearing is dry (i.e. loses some or all of its lubricating grease) it will cause friction which generates heat. Spinning at very high RPMs for any sustained amount of time, this heat will get high enough to melt the metal and the bearing seizes. Once it can no longer spin, it breaks apart as torque is still applied to it.

Again, not saying this is necessarily what is happening to your car. Just pointing out that, based on your symptoms, this can be a potential diagnosis.

I wish you luck.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
If your pushing the clutch and the noise is deleted..it could be a pilot bearing.

If you were to push a hydraulic clutch and have this noise, it would then be the hydraulic throw out bearing...

If it was a regular old fasion throw out bearing, it could squeal when not pressed but when pressed noise will turn to a growl.

I have also seen the springs on the diaphram let go, with slight contact on the release bearing the springs scratch the bearing and cause this squeal..once pressed, bearing moves at same speed as diaphram so noise is deleted..with 1 of the finger springs snapped you could have this noise and not have any concern with slippage

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 01-17-2013, 11:36 PM
Thanks Karl and irish07 appreciate your comments, just one other thing this only happens now and again (its happened 3 times) in over 10 starts and over 1000Km, am i understanding you correctly if something is worn or broken off as irish07 suggests then would the noise not be consistent? and manifest every time i engage full pedal travel

Old 01-18-2013, 05:43 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by captain Greg
Thanks Karl and irish07 appreciate your comments, just one other thing this only happens now and again (its happened 3 times) in over 10 starts and over 1000Km, am i understanding you correctly if something is worn or broken off as irish07 suggests then would the noise not be consistent? and manifest every time i engage full pedal travel
Just drive it until the clutch won't work any more. Nothing you can hurt, its just a little noise. And put $ 100 a month into the clutch replacement kitty jar. You might get two months on it, or it can go ten years of driving. Who knows? If you have to go in there for a repair then you'll want new plates installed when you do.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:22 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Is the noise a metallic squeal..or more like "air in water pipes at home" ..V8's are known for the Oil PRV causing a hydraulic air noise in the oil system, by pushing the clutch changes the load on the engine and can stop the noise..this type of noise can come and go...can you get a sound recording and post on youtube or some other site..also noticed your car is jacked in your pic, can you tell if the noise in underneith(clutch area) or front engine compartment area

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 01-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Hi Irish07 the noise is more like a plastic fan hitting a radiator side for a few seconds and I mean about 2 secs most and its gone, just fitted the wheels after having them detailed - previous owner was not as pedantic as i am!!I a have fitted new rubber as well could not get the stock 235x40x19 front and went to 245x40x19 and rear went from 275x35x19 to 285x35x19, just started it and today not a peep from the thing??I went to aston dealer today and they were removing a clutch, said they have never replaced a slave /release bearing in a Vantage to date!
My mate said as i described the noise it could be a thrust bearing on the slave? but as I say its gone now, please can you tell me if those tyre sises will be ok.... albeit a bit late now, here in Cape Town we do not have too may choices indecently the Aston Dealer quoted me 65K to replace the clutch!!!! that is about 5400 pounds!!!

Old 01-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Aston502 will become famous soon enough
Maybe $300 a month in the clutch kitty per month . I just got back from Dallas Aston Martin with a new clutch for $5800 and that was just for the clutch replacement . I had a regular service and a couple of other things done as well .

Old 03-01-2013, 09:09 PM
v8v
v8v is on a distinguished road
Hey captain Greg, I just picked up an 07 v8v and have the same issue. once the engine temp gets to around a quarter way up the temperature gauge, the sound goes away. have you had to replace any parts or is everything still working as it should?

Old 03-02-2013, 10:14 AM
clutch noise

my noise goes away almost imidiatley and its intermittent... the car now has 22500km no other issues, the clutch does not slip at all I put it into 6th at low speed and floor it , the clutch seems to hold im not certain that the noise is clutch I think its the release bearing that goes from stand still to say about 2000rpm instantly when its all cold? my cat idles at 2000 or just under for about a min as it warms it drops to around 700, when its cold the mixture is rich and the 22 fuse is out, it sounds fanfukintastik!!!

Old 03-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by captain Greg
Hi Irish07 the noise is more like a plastic fan hitting a radiator side for a few seconds and I mean about 2 secs most and its gone, just fitted the wheels after having them detailed - previous owner was not as pedantic as i am!!I a have fitted new rubber as well could not get the stock 235x40x19 front and went to 245x40x19 and rear went from 275x35x19 to 285x35x19, just started it and today not a peep from the thing??I went to aston dealer today and they were removing a clutch, said they have never replaced a slave /release bearing in a Vantage to date!
My mate said as i described the noise it could be a thrust bearing on the slave? but as I say its gone now, please can you tell me if those tyre sises will be ok.... albeit a bit late now, here in Cape Town we do not have too may choices indecently the Aston Dealer quoted me 65K to replace the clutch!!!! that is about 5400 pounds!!!
Shouldn't have a concern with those sizes..so ur saying the noise is a plastic smacking type? It's not at all like a squealing belt?

Old 03-03-2013, 07:56 AM
you have mad an interesting point it could be a belt slip noise! its very brief, but as you know also very difficult to explain a noise, it happens every now and again. I drove it today and have not run it for 10 days and there was no noise on start up

Old 03-03-2013, 07:59 AM
Basic Sponsor
Well reason I ask V8's have a known issue with belt squeal when cold only..fix is a new revised idler pulley and belt..this was solved on 09+ year models

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V8 Vantage clutch noise