Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage SP10

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 01:09 AM
jonby is on a distinguished road
Sorry Grant, understand the confusion but manual is definitely an option on the S. It isn't in the literature or on the website but it is on the ordering system as an option and my local dealer specced one up for the showroom as a manual about 2 mths ago, to arrive soon (UK). But they spotted it whilst ordering - the factory have still not announced it even to them as being an option

alcantara seats & steering wheel are a cost option on the S

sat nav is standard on the S (but not the base V8) but of course premium audio is a cost option on both

grey callipers standard on all V8 vantages with cost option to black and visa versa on v12

I suspect this is a well priced 'optioned up' car but an engine plaque and different colour roof are the only things in any way unique that are not either standard fit or a 'standard/off the shelf' cost/no cost option on the S

Old 02-14-2013, 02:05 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Yep that sums it up

Old 02-14-2013, 02:15 AM
Originally Posted by mikey k
Yep that sums it up
can;t see them doing a whole lot more over & above the spec of your car until new vantage now, which may be quite a different car (e.g. engine, price point) but who knows ?

I assume the same on V12V too

Old 02-14-2013, 04:55 AM
Grant3 is just really niceGrant3 is just really niceGrant3 is just really niceGrant3 is just really nice
Thumbs up

No Need to say sorry guys this is what forums are all about, it's good stuff.

As you well know the problem with the internet is there are lots of rumours floating around and 80% of them often prove inaccurate.

This is why the guide takes a massive amount of time to keep it the most accurate and up to date resource available.

I always go to Aston Martin first for an official response in writing, to ensure best accuracy for everyone - then I keep an eye on all the "rumours" on the forums and via the dealers and factory etc, then follow up on those rumours to verify them before inclusion in the guide. Sometimes the factory are great at giving out behind the scenes advanced information, other times they deny it all until it is officially released!

As of yesterday the official response from the press office was ... "the S is Sportshift only in US/UK" hence my post above. You are both well plugged into the network, so if you say Aston are "unofficially" offering manual S via the order system for UK/US then I'm sure you are right (after all your wise words are included for good reason on page 269 Mikey ). My contacts haven't offered that one up, but I do appreciate the heads up and have now gone back to A.M. for further official clarification. So Cheers guys

With regards to the rest of the info we all agree the SP10 is simply a slightly higher spec V8S, with a manual gearbox offering cost options as standard including - Ceramic Grey Paint, (Titan Grey roof on Roadster) black calipers and black/ diamond-turned wheels - An engine plaque - Extra Alcantara on the coupe (seat centres and wheel etc) - sat-nav - Premium audio. But again the internet is awash with the wrong info, websites claiming standard light weight seats, extra Carbon, a more powerful engine etc etc!

Last edited by Grant3; 02-14-2013 at 05:02 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:03 AM
I don't envy you Grant - the factory often don't know themselves ! The dealers have never been told about the manual option, despite it being there, so you can only find out 'by chance'

There is no official info anywhere whatsoever that I can establish about the new numbered 'carbon edition' V12V, which we think might only be available in US, but certainly isn't available in UK, originally thought to only be in satin black, now thought to include other colours. There are pics of at least two of the 'gen I' carbon black edition V12Vs in colours other than black - how on earth do you keep your book accurate ?!?

Also with all the 'half model' years and minor gradual changes, it doesn;t help. On V12VR, the official brochure was only finished after all the orders and the majority of spec had gone into the factory ! The interim photocopied sheet I was given when I went to spec mine had options listed I knew in reality they wouldn't fit (e.g. alcantara upholstery which they refuse to do on a roadster) and no option for stitching at 12'0, which I ordered the car with both me & the dealer thinking it would be a £295 option, but then turned out to be FOC option.......as I say, I don't envy you !

Old 02-14-2013, 10:43 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
I have a copy of the latest AM full range brochure, titled "Aston Martin 2012." Yes, it says 2012, which seems to be an error, but nonetheless... For the V8VS, on page 28, it lists the 6-speed manual 'box and the "optional" Sportshift II 7-speed paddle gearbox. The 6-spd manual is also listed in the specs on page 61. Also, in the Autumn 2012 Aston Martin Magazine, in the section at the back that is like a brochure with specs on the current cars, the 6 spd manual is listed for the S.

Someone should tell the AM press office...

Old 02-15-2013, 01:23 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
No the press office should tell the dealers what they can sell and also tell the factory what they are building
I feel for Grant though he does a great job considering the people giving him the detail don't always know all the details

Last edited by mikey k; 02-15-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:50 AM
Grant3 is just really niceGrant3 is just really niceGrant3 is just really niceGrant3 is just really nice
now you can see why I spend so much time checking everything multiple times.
What you say is right Speedrazer, but if you check the latest website specifications for the S you will see it states Sportshift II as standard, with no manual gearbox under options.

Then if you download the current Vantage range brochure, this says the same thing, Sportshift standard, no manual option, if you talk to the press office they say Sportshift only.

So four official A.M. Sources quoting a different spec at the same time which is why I spend time checking everything and not just taking it at face value, or because someone says it is so! I have to use official factory, press office, dealer contacts alongside web rumours ( sometimes Aston don't want to release information.. for example they denied the V12Roadster right up to the official launch, yet I had full details on the car and we all knew it was coming) which is why you have to add in research on the forum rumours, as an owner somewhere in the world may have just ordered a new model ( like aRapideS!) before it is officially confirmed. Keeping track of Aston specs is like herding cats they are as mad as a box of frogs! But I do all the running around so others don't have to, and it is all in one place, from 2004 up to date . The bottom line is the Internet rumours were right in this case and the manual V8S IS clearly now available but clarifying this one has been like pulling teeth I'm on the trail of the new Vanquish Volante and Vantage now

Last edited by Grant3; 02-15-2013 at 04:03 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:52 AM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
This kind of chaotic conflict among various "official" AM information sources doesn't seem to happen with German or Japanese marques. I think that, somehow, this stuff adds to the appeal of AM.

As for the brochures, not only does the downloadable Vantage brochure suggest that the manual 'box isn't available on the S, it also still shows the V8V in its pre-2012.25 form (original front/rear bumpers/diffusers, etc.)... But the downloadable (from the same website, of course ) AM Range brochure is the same as the paper version I mentioned -- with 2012 on the cover, and with the updated S gearbox info. It's all rather

Grant, at least this means your ongoing work on the book isn't boring . It's also greatly appreciated by people like me.