Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

AM V8 Vantage Series

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 02:35 PM
LTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud of
AM V8 Vantage Series

Hi

Seriously considering moving from my '04 Porsche GT3 to a kinder/gentler car. Just starting to do my homework, but have the AM V8 Vantage high on my list. I have an $80k budget OTD, and a quick review of AutoTrader shows many cars to consider.

My question concerning the Vantage is what are the series-build of the cars, e.g., 2008-2010 are one series, 2005-2007 another, or is there such? Further, other than buying the newest I can afford, is there one series where a significant improvement was made over the previous?

Thanks for all info.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:34 PM
DoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of light
Sir (Army CPT here) -- People will highly recommend purchasing "Definitive Aston Martin Buyers Guide" which thoroughly discusses the differences between years, makes and different model series. Available here: http://www.astonmartinreview.co.uk/

Personally, I would look towards the 2009+ with the 4.7L engine. I've had both an 06' V8V 4.3L and now a V8VS with a 4.7L and there really is a night and day difference in displacement. Plus the newer 2009+ will come with the interior updates and features.

Best of luck in your search. I recommend posting your potential purchases so the forum can provide some input and feedback.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:33 AM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
Ditto on the buying guide. Also just a observation that most manuals are 06 and 07.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:41 AM
LTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud of
Thanks. A quick look on AutoTrader shows the '09+ may be out of my price range. Where else are these cars posted?

Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 AM
yankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LTCJMRamos
Thanks. A quick look on AutoTrader shows the '09+ may be out of my price range. Where else are these cars posted?
eBay? Talk with your local dealer & explain what you are looking for. A lot of times they have clients who are trading something in.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:56 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
The other site to watch is Yahoo cars. There is quite a difference in the engine going from '08 to '09 and also a difference in the controls. You'll pay a lot more for these "improvements. I have an '08 Manual Transmission and "Love it". It was not worth the extra big $$$$ for me to go from an '08 to the '09.

http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/ove...words=&start=0

Old 04-15-2013, 11:13 AM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
You can get an 06 or 07 v8 4.3 Vantage for 70K thereabouts, then throw on some mods with the remaining 10K of your budget and your running with the '09 ...throw in some more mods like supercharger or Bamford Rose build-up and now you're surpassing the v12Vantage.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:28 PM
yankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with the previous posters on not spending the $$. I have an '07 6spd with the power pack and exhaust. I've wanted a V8 for years because of the looks; not the speed. If I wanted the fastest car on the block there are plenty of other choices. I spent a lot of time searching for the right vehicle (color, 1 owner, low miles). I could have spent more on something newer but this was a good price point to start. This has left me money for taxes, insurance, fuel, and repairs when that occurs . Buy a car with good history that makes you happy. Nobody will care it has a couple less ponies when they are staring at it's beauty.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:38 AM
supersurfr is on a distinguished road
Try cars.com thats were I found my 09 Vantage

Old 04-16-2013, 09:14 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
I'm with yankee04. The upgrade and highflow cats bring it close to a 4.7. (driven both more than a couple miles) And there are quite a few very nicely maintained 07 and 08s out there. Regardless of which one you decide on, an Aston turns any little trip into an occasion often remembered fondly.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:43 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
i've got an '07 V8V (4.3L) with about 410 BHP (power pack + exhaust, dyno'd at 343 WHP).

i'm extremely happy with it, and any desire i have for more power is based entirely on uncontrollable lust for unnecessary power and an oath to avenge my neanderthal ancestors by burning the fossil fuel remains of the dinosaurs that may (or may not) have preyed upon them.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:43 AM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by oo7
I'm with yankee04. The upgrade and highflow cats bring it close to a 4.7. (driven both more than a couple miles) And there are quite a few very nicely maintained 07 and 08s out there. Regardless of which one you decide on, an Aston turns any little trip into an occasion often remembered fondly.
Agreed. I had the pleasure of meeting oo7 and seeing his just beautiful V8 Vantage a couple of short weeks ago, what a car! We had 2 Vantages, this one and Rich's ...both were superb. Plus both were nicely fast, with a throaty Aston growl...and that's the part you're going to enjoy while driving...both of these guys drive their cars, they are not afraid to really enjoy them! Bravo good sirs

Old 04-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Both the 4.3 and 4.7 are great cars. I don't know how much this matters to you, but...

The 4.3 is NOT slow (as some people contend) but stock-to-stock, there is a considerable difference in power and torque between the two. Modified as discussed above, a 4.3 will get close (but not all the way there without a considerable amount of $) to the hp of a 4.7. However, it will NOT get close to 4.7 torque unless large sums are spent.

These are wonderful cars.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:50 PM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
Yes, if torque is important to you, upgrades to the 4.3 won't get you there. Th additional power doesn't show up until 5k+rpm, feels a little like the old days when the car was coming onto the cam. My favorite analogy; horse power is like sex and money, only too much is enough. If it is in your budget get a 4.7, I would have, but I'm a bit thrifty. BTW, V8V is about the same weight as the new F-type and has a better normally aspirated engine, and IMO quite a bit better looking, though a great effort by Tata.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:04 PM
greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !
Subscribing

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AM V8 Vantage Series