Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Why does the new vanquish and db9 have the same torque?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:38 AM
brian sherwood will become famous soon enough

I just got my new DB9 and it has 457lb ft of torque. The new Vanquish with 55 more horses has the same torque.

Does anyone know if the HP is only a computer tune or it is more. Road tests I have read, say that they are almost equal on acceleration and quarter mile runs.

Is there a computer tune to up the DB9 to the same HP as the Vanquish?

Old 06-20-2013, 07:42 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by brian sherwood
Because Aston Martin.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:59 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
"Updating the big V-12 with variable timing on both the intake and exhaust cams (now hollow), larger throttle bodies, a revised intake manifold, and a few other tweaks bumps output from the DBS’s 510 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque to 565 and 457, respectively."

all of this would result in more airflow and better engine dynamics in the higher portion of the rev range, producing more horsepower. tuning is a big factor of course, but these revisions were done for higher hp.

edit: AM's website lists the same torque figures for both the DBS and Vanquish (620 Nm/457 lb-ft), but everywhere else lists the above figures. 420 lb-ft was the torque output of the original DB9 (pre-DBS engine). Soooo i dunno where the discrepancy comes from.

Last edited by telum01; 06-20-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:06 AM
brian sherwood will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by telum01
"Updating the big V-12 with variable timing on both the intake and exhaust cams (now hollow), larger throttle bodies, a revised intake manifold, and a few other tweaks bumps output from the DBS’s 510 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque to 565 and 457, respectively."

all of this would result in more airflow and better engine dynamics in the higher portion of the rev range, producing more horsepower. tuning is a big factor of course, but these revisions were done for higher hp.
My Current DB9 (2013 ) has 510 HP with 457 lb ft of torque and has all of the upgrades as the Vanquish has to its motor- including cam throttle bodies and intake manifold. It is a completely different engine from the DBS! New to the DB9 this year!

Old 06-20-2013, 08:29 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Short answer: The Vanquish is closer to a sports car than the DB9 (which is more focused on touring) so its engine is tuned more for horsepower than torque.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:17 AM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
^^^Interesting perspective. Guess that would imply that b/c my Virage has more bhp and less torque than my DB9 it's considered even more a GT car than the DB9?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
^^^Not comparing the DB9 and the Virage, which I understand have similar power/torque. In the case of the Vanq and the DB9 the power difference is 55 bhp.

Edit: BTW, my comments are based on a comment that Mike from BR made on Pistonheads about a member's DB9 and the DBS. Mike mentioned that the DB9 was tuned to have greater torque and less horsepower than the DBS and the difference was due to the different focuses of the two cars.

Last edited by Racer_X; 06-20-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:02 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by brian sherwood
My Current DB9 (2013 ) has 510 HP with 457 lb ft of torque and has all of the upgrades as the Vanquish has to its motor- including cam throttle bodies and intake manifold. It is a completely different engine from the DBS! New to the DB9 this year!
Prior to 2013, the DBS/V12V and the DB9 did in fact have physical differences between the engines (intake side) that dictated different BHP outputs.

The 2013 Vanquish & DB9 engines are both identical from a hardware point of view, they have been updated to include knock control and so on. However, as for the difference in output between the two, it is 100% software.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 06-20-2013, 11:40 AM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Racer, my comments were more of a rhetorical nature. I understand the logic you were writing about.

Stuart, are the differences between the Virage, 12 DB9 and DBS software related?

Old 06-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LRDog
Racer, my comments were more of a rhetorical nature. I understand the logic you were writing about.

Stuart, are the differences between the Virage, 12 DB9 and DBS software related?
While I'm sure there are differences in the software & settings, between the earlier V12 variants, I would say that those software differences are simply to calibrate settings correctly to accommodate the hardware differences. What I'm getting at is, while the earlier model V12 cars actually have hardware differences that produce different outputs, it is very interesting that the new DB9 and New Vanquish have no hardware differences at all, but quite a substantial difference in power output.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 06-20-2013, 12:12 PM
Thanks ^^

Not trying to drag this off topic and maybe I should be more specific? Do you know the differences be they hardware or software between the motor in my Virage and my previous DB9? Perhaps since the Virage is essentially the new DB9 in terms of appearance, are there any other similarities?

Old 06-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Basic Sponsor
Thanks ^^

Not trying to drag this off topic and maybe I should be more specific? Do you know the differences be they hardware or software between the motor in my Virage and my previous DB9? Perhaps since the Virage is essentially the new DB9 in terms of appearance, are there any other similarities?
What year was your DB9 again? (Don't worry I certainly know what colour it was )

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 06-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
What year was your DB9 again? (Don't worry I certainly know what colour it was )

It was a 2010 model.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Grant3 is just really niceGrant3 is just really niceGrant3 is just really niceGrant3 is just really nice
Thanks ^^

The output from the models your chatting about are as follows
09MY 470 bhp + 443 lb-ft engine code AM09
Virage. 490 bhp + 420 lb-ft AM25
DBS/V12V 510 bhp + 420 lb-ft. AM08/AM10

New DB9. 510 bhp + 457 lb-ft AM11

So the Db9 was tuned for a more relaxed mid-range thrust with greater torque while the other models were tuned for great more sporting high end bhp punch ( the 13MY 9 aims to achieve both!).

The main differences are in the intake systems, which vary between the DB9, Virage and DBS/V12V, with different intake lengths (and bypass valves for higher revs on the higher bhp models). But of course there are also exhaust and software variances by model.

To further complicate the equation the Touchtronic versions of the DBS and Virage feature a higher final drive ratio with the shorter gearing helping to compensate for their loss of torque, along with a different throttle map option to aid faster revving.

So in essence it is not just a case of software changes for these models I'm afraid. Each has its own internal engine code, which is noted above.

The latest re-engineered version of the V12 ( from the 13MY DB9/Vanquish/RapideS) feature some major changes so is in essence a new engine these models all share the same A11 engine code in various forms of tune.

Hope this helps

Edited to add... yes there are a lot of similarities between your car and the new DB9 as it is an evolution of the Virage, in simplistic terms the new DB9 is a Virage with upgraded engine, 3 stage ADS, extra rigidity, new DBS style rear spoiler and front pedestrian impact system...etc!

Last edited by Grant3; 06-22-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Sam0118 is on a distinguished road
Differences

Main question does the db9 and vanquish have the same engine?
I read somewhere they did and somewhere they didn't so I was confused on that. Also if someone could list main similarities and differences between them. Please thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why does the new vanquish and db9 have the same torque?