Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Considering V8 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 03:58 AM
Bryce86 is on a distinguished road
Considering V8 Vantage

Having just heard one at the weekend and been out playing in my friends Maserati GTS, I quite fancy some of this v8 noise.

I'm not sure if I'm particularly fussed on the way the Vantage looks but if it sounds as good as most say, I'm sure this will outweigh its flaws. Feel free to convince me otherwise with your pictures however..

I know nothing about Astons, so what are the must haves that I should look for? I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.

Many thanks

Last edited by Bryce86; 07-16-2013 at 04:10 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:44 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Well, there's much to consider, first of which is your budget and if you are looking at new or pre-owned.

If new and you have the budget, get the S. Since sound is what attracted you, this is the growley-est one that also happens to be brilliant in every way. And since you're in the UK, you should be able to select 2 or 3 pedals for the transmission.

Next, coupe or volante? Since looks isn't your primary thing, a volante might be. Seems like a nice way to enjoy the sound and really embrace those precious brilliant sunny days.
O

Once in the pre-owned range, the biggest consideration is pre '09 or post. The engine in the older models is smaller and weaker. Still sounds brilliant though. But all else equal, get the newer, 4.7 engine in an '09 or newer model.

The shifting system is a topic of much endless discussion. Some people simply must have 3 pedals and a proper shifting stick. Others enjoy the automated version with some input from the paddles. It really seems to fall to a personal preference. Strangely though, it seems that the automated transmission is the one that requires more attention and care (clutch learns and such) in order to enjoy a reasonable clutch life. The manual is a manual. I quite enjoy mine.

Some people care about the nav system. Newer is better.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:47 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
They are gorgeous and sound good, that is about it. Best thing to do is to drive an 2009 911S, in the same day you drive the vantage. Remember you can add a nice exhaust to the 911 and have it sound as good. The 911 is much faster, handles better, more reliable, electronics actually work, etc.

I wanted a Vantage for a long time, until I borrowed my friends for the weekend. Sooooo disappointed.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:54 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
...you can add a nice exhaust to the 911 and have it sound as good...

While it will sound like something, and some people may like that sound (for reasons that escape me), it will not sound similar enough for the term "as good" to apply.

A Vantage is not a Porsche. It is not meant to be one. It is not meant to mimic or "beat" one.

You should try one (or a few) and decide if you like it.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:05 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
They are gorgeous and sound good, that is about it. Best thing to do is to drive an 2009 911S, in the same day you drive the vantage. Remember you can add a nice exhaust to the 911 and have it sound as good. The 911 is much faster, handles better, more reliable, electronics actually work, etc. I wanted a Vantage for a long time, until I borrowed my friends for the weekend. Sooooo disappointed.
You know I did just that. Took out a 2007 Vantage and then went across the street and drove a brand new 991 Carrera with PDK. Came back after a 20 minute test drive in the Porsche (and I've owned four Porsches before) and bought the Aston Martin. No regrets! The 991 is very nice, as is a 997, but sometimes you're just ready for a change. You miss a key point about Aston ownership as well - the Porsche has a lot more orange peel in the paint and a lot more plastic fasteners holding it together, and you don't see yourself coming down the other side of the road as often as you do in a 911.

Get what makes ya happy.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Thank you for the replies so far.

I'm looking at the earlier models (though I've no idea on differences /facelift dates) and it'll need to be a manual. Not an automatic fan - well in certain car types - but I do like SMG/ DCT if that was ever an option.

Budget wise, there isn't really one. But this car would be another toy in the stable so I like to keep depreciation to a minimum hence looking at earlier models.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:01 PM
keitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of light
To get the lowdown on all your questions, buy Grant's book, highly recommended by everyone that has referenced it and a very sound investment before your Aston purchase,

http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Guide-Gaydon-Aston-Martin/dp/095068256X http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Guide-Gaydon-Aston-Martin/dp/095068256X

Old 07-16-2013, 02:50 PM
astongirl is on a distinguished road
I test drove a Vantage and a 911 on the same day and my preference was the Vantage. It's a different type of car & different feel. I enjoyed the Porsche, but there was a unique sensation about the Aston when I drove it. At the end of the day, it's what you are most happy with so I definitely recommend those test drives.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:09 PM
astongirl is on a distinguished road
Bryce... I enjoyed this review of the Vantage before I purchased mine.... Although, I may not agree on all their opinions, they do make some great points that I tend to agree with.....IMO it's a gorgeous car and I couldn't be happier with it....

Old 07-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
They are gorgeous and sound good, that is about it. Best thing to do is to drive an 2009 911S, in the same day you drive the vantage. Remember you can add a nice exhaust to the 911 and have it sound as good. The 911 is much faster, handles better, more reliable, electronics actually work, etc.

I wanted a Vantage for a long time, until I borrowed my friends for the weekend. Sooooo disappointed.
"That is about it."

Everyone is entitled to his opinion, but much of what you said is simply untrue. Many of us on this forum are past and current Porsche owners (myself included), so we've experienced both.

The notion that a 997S is "much faster" than a V8V (4.7) is simply not true -- look at the road test figures, especially if one is comparing manual 'box cars. The figures are nearly identical for a 4.7 and a 997S. I've run mine against a friend's 997S -- nothing in it (much to his surprise).

"Handles better" is clearly subjective. The V8V is an extremely well-balanced front-engined rear-drive car, and it handles superbly on the road, especially in Sports Pack form. A 911 has rather unique handling characteristics. I love them, but many don't, and for good reason. A very talented driver can get a 911 to truly perform, but most merely excellent drivers will be able to get closer to a V8V's also very high limits.

Reliability... The ease with which some of the posters here dismiss the V8V’s reliability is amusing given the disaster that the 996 engine has proven to be (no, most don’t go BANG, but far too many do). The 997 was better, but still shares those major engine problems. So bad was it that it took a whole new engine to “fix” it (hopefully) for the 997.2. Some early V8Vs had some fairly minor (mostly electrical) issues. The later cars have generally proven to be extremely reliable. Mine (owned from new) has been essentially faultless so far, which seems to be the norm, not the exception. BTW, the V8V engine uses a real dry sump. Like Porsche used to. Oh, and Aston races the V8V with the same basic engine that they use in the road car. Like Porsche used to, before they began putting a cheap engine in the Carrera and only using the serious engine in the GT3, Turbo (through 997.1) and GT2. When they start to race the new engine (the 991 GT3 now uses it, but the race cars DON'T), I'll be convinced.

Build quality: Porsche uses lots of plastic. Nice plastic, mostly, but plastic. All that “metal-look” plastic in the 997 is a huge disappointment. In the Aston, there is very little plastic and, moreover, everything that looks like metal is metal. It’s not perfect, but the Aston is exquisitely built, with materials quality and craftsmanship that is in an entirely different league from Porsche’s. The 991 is better than the 997, but still not in the Aston's league.

The Aston forums are full of people who used to own 911s, and many of us still do, so we have a solid basis for comparison. We LOVE our Astons. When I went car shopping, I looked at and drove the 997 (and various other cars), and I bought the Aston. If it had not been great to drive, I would not have bought it. It’s not only a wonderful thing to look at, it’s a wonderful thing to drive, and it’s a wonderful thing to own.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:07 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
^^^^ just for clarification and not to be too pedantic, but the V8V is not actually a front-engined car. It is a mid-engined car.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:21 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
While we're being pedantic... It's front-mid-engined

Old 07-17-2013, 06:36 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
^^^^ true. Although I've never seen people call it "rear-mid-engined" when the engine is behind your head.

PS I liked your review above.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:05 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
From Speedraser: "The Aston forums are full of people who used to own 911s, and many of us still do, so we have a solid basis for comparison."

As for me, I've owned a 2002 911 and a 2005 Boxster S. The 911 was sometimes ponderous, the Boxster, a delight (albeit a chicks car)...

My 2007 V8 Vantage has certain bespoke intangibles that the Porsches just didn't have. While I liked the Porsches, I love my Vantage. When I replace it, it will be with another Vantage... Hopefully with a V12 out mid-front!

Old 07-17-2013, 04:47 PM
Fantastic info here lads. Thank you very much.

Are there any differences between the first cars (05) through to the facelift 4.7 (around 08)?

Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Considering V8 Vantage