Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Drove the Vantage S ... I have changed my mind

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:45 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Drove the Vantage S ... I have changed my mind

I finally had a chance to drive the Vantage S, but it wasn't quite what I was expecting. I was expecting the Transmission to be like my Lamborghini E-gear... But it wasn't, not even close. The interior is gorgeous, but I cannot tolerate the transmission. Yes I am aware you can get a TCU upgrade, but I am still skeptical whether it will be able to truly fix its Achilles heel.

After speaking with a sales the dealer I found out that the Graziano internals used in the Aston transmission are actually a much older unit out of the Ferrari 360/430, and not the newer units used in the 2nd generation Gallardos. At full throttle, the shifts were pretty crisp, and down shifts were bad, but part throttle and regular daily driving it was terrible (and almost nauseating). He flat out told me he would feel guilty selling me a sportshift bc it's so bad (definitely a shockingly honest revelation). The car even stalled on the test drive (and it was new). Lol. Needless to say, not impressed.

Given this new revelation I have decided that the ideal car for me will be a 2009 4.7 6-speed manual. Both from a tuning and from an excitement standpoint I feel it will better suit my needs. In addition, clutch wear should be much better compared to the SS which is notorious for prematurely frying clutches compared to the sticks.

Another reason I realize 2009 may be the best year, is it still had the original catless headers, but with the larger 4.7 motor. It's the only year to have this setup (exhaust headers & cats changed in 2010). For that reason, the 2009 Aston may be the most tunable of all the vantages from a modding standpoint.

I also like the original design of the rear bumper much better than the newer design, if I had to I would always upgrade the front bumper to the vantage S design down the road for the updated look. The new Vantage S CF lip front bumper mated with the original rear bumper in my opinion is the most gorgeous combination.

On top of all that, not to mention they are a good $20-30k cheaper on top of that is a bonus cherry on top.

If anyone knows of a 2009 Morning Frost pearl white/ Black interior (6-speed) vantage available, I would definitely be interested.

Thanks,

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-29-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:39 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
I know of a fair few S owners in the UK none have complained about the ASM2 box in the S. Let it do the learns regularly never drive it in D and it is great. Gear changes are further improved with a light weight clutch set up.

As for ASM2 eating clutches that is rubbish, creep mode in ASM1 can cause wear but no more than a badly driven manual. ASM2 is revised in the new V12VS (ASM3) it is also modified for use in the 1-77 so it's more than capable of taking the torque.

My S will be 550 BHP this autumn

Old 08-29-2013, 05:01 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
At full 10/10th, it's a good performance box (still not nearly as good as Lambo Egear, which is #1 single clutch transmission Ever made).

But for slow driving ASM2 was very unsmooth, too unsmooth for my liking. Plus, since I want to run higher rpms, getting 6speed is a lot easier because you do not have to retune both the transmission TCU on top of engine ECU. FYI, ASM2 is available on all 2014 models now. All the 2014s got the vantage S hardware updates, minus the interior trinkets of course.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:23 PM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
At full 10/10th, it's a good performance box (still not nearly as good as Lambo Egear, which is #1 single clutch transmission Ever made).

But for slow driving ASM2 was very unsmooth, too unsmooth for my liking. Plus, since I want to run higher rpms, getting 6speed is a lot easier because you do not have to retune both the transmission TCU on top of engine ECU. FYI, ASM2 is available on all 2014 models now. All the 2014s got the vantage S hardware updates, minus the interior trinkets of course.
I love the transmission on the new Ferrari California and the the Lambo E gear was great too. If you aint happy with the current Aston offering then fair enough best go for a stick shift.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:24 PM
blue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really nice
The Sportshift was the reason I ended up selling my Vantage S and grabbing a DB9. You have to supply complementary Tylenol for your passengers from the headaches they'll hitting their heads on the back of the seat.

But honestly, it's not anywhere as uncomfortable as driving a Lamborghini in general.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:01 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
Sorry, but even with the ASM1 regular shifts are not an issue at all 99+% of the time (every now and then a very slow speed shift will be jerky). Sure, the California is better, but I've tested the 360 and 430, and the 360 was worse. The 430 was, perhaps, a hair better, but very similar.

I haven't actually tried the ASM2, but I can't believe it would be worse than the ASM1.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:19 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
I finally had a chance to drive the Vantage S, but it wasn't quite what I was expecting. I was expecting the Transmission to be like my Lamborghini E-gear... But it wasn't, not even close. The interior is gorgeous, but I cannot tolerate the transmission. Yes I am aware you can get a TCU upgrade, but I am still skeptical whether it will be able to truly fix its Achilles heel.

After speaking with a sales the dealer I found out that the Graziano internals used in the Aston transmission are actually a much older unit out of the Ferrari 360/430, and not the newer units used in the 2nd generation Gallardos. At full throttle, the shifts were pretty crisp, and down shifts were bad, but part throttle and regular daily driving it was terrible (and almost nauseating). He flat out told me he would feel guilty selling me a sportshift bc it's so bad (definitely a shockingly honest revelation). The car even stalled on the test drive (and it was new). Lol. Needless to say, not impressed.

Given this new revelation I have decided that the ideal car for me will be a 2009 4.7 6-speed manual. Both from a tuning and from an excitement standpoint I feel it will better suit my needs. In addition, clutch wear should be much better compared to the SS which is notorious for prematurely frying clutches compared to the sticks.

Another reason I realize 2009 may be the best year, is it still had the original catless headers, but with the larger 4.7 motor. It's the only year to have this setup (exhaust headers & cats changed in 2010). For that reason, the 2009 Aston may be the most tunable of all the vantages from a modding standpoint.

I also like the original design of the rear bumper much better than the newer design, if I had to I would always upgrade the front bumper to the vantage S design down the road for the updated look. The new Vantage S CF lip front bumper mated with the original rear bumper in my opinion is the most gorgeous combination.

On top of all that, not to mention they are a good $20-30k cheaper on top of that is a bonus cherry on top.

If anyone knows of a 2009 Morning Frost pearl white/ Black interior (6-speed) vantage available, I would definitely be interested.

Thanks,
Why do the cat-less headers make it more tuneable? If you have the later model 2010-on you can still fit cat-less headers and relocate the O2 sensors back to the same spot they are in on the earlier cars.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 08-29-2013, 11:02 PM
Hey Stum

True, but I meant if I did not want to go through the hassle of changing headers, then the 2009 is much easier to just do everything else but keep the stock headers.

Obviously you can retrofit to all years, but its more expensive that way

Old 08-30-2013, 04:50 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
I'm still confused on this lurching changes on sport shift
I've done 32k miles over the last few years in my ASM1 and ASM2 car in just about every environment, I've also drive other ASM equipped cars and never found the change to be "uncomfortable" nor had complaints about it from passengers.

Like I say clutch learns and avoid D

Old 08-30-2013, 05:29 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute

I might be biased but I've driven the Gallardo, Superleggera, 430, and the Scud and the Scud's F1 Superfast is the best that I have driven. Compared to the pre-2011 Superleggera (I haven't driven a new one yet) the Scud is a visceral beast if you step on it or it's very docile and smooth. It doesn't require any pedal modulation either. It's pretty much no contest in fact.

Back on topic. The ASM2 is fine but you can't drive in auto and you have to modulate the throttle. I enjoyed that I had to modulate with my right foot to smooth out shifts. It's not nearly as good as the Gallardo or the 430 but is also 100k cheaper. Also, you can get the Vantage S in a 6 speed manual so if you don't like the ASM2, just order a 6 speed .

Old 08-30-2013, 06:15 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mikey k
... Like I say clutch learns and avoid D
It's a bit disappointing to hear that owners should avoid putting the car in "Drive" when it has that function. Really hope the ASM3 is better!

Originally Posted by RossL
... Also, you can get the Vantage S in a 6 speed manual so if you don't like the ASM2, just order a 6 speed .
Good point. Forgot about this. Is this something one needs to special order?

Old 08-30-2013, 07:36 AM
The SP10 vantage S is the ideal package for stick, but they are still almost brand new and pulling an insane premium right now so it may be wise to wait a bit for them.

From what I am hearing AS,3 is worlds better than 1&2, but until I test drive its hard to confirm that. I realized the best plan may be to get the 09 4.7 vantage 6speed for now until the V12 Vantage S takes a huge hit in depreciation, then just pick one up in a couple years. Perhaps I will like the V12S more than I did the standard V12, which for some reason didn't do it for me.

If anyone knows of a morning frost 09 4.7 6spd... I am definitely leaning that direction

Old 08-30-2013, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by RossL
I might be biased but I've driven the Gallardo, Superleggera, 430, and the Scud and the Scud's F1 Superfast is the best that I have driven. Compared to the pre-2011 Superleggera (I haven't driven a new one yet) the Scud is a visceral beast if you step on it or it's very docile and smooth. It doesn't require any pedal modulation either. It's pretty much no contest in fact.

Back on topic. The ASM2 is fine but you can't drive in auto and you have to modulate the throttle. I enjoyed that I had to modulate with my right foot to smooth out shifts. It's not nearly as good as the Gallardo or the 430 but is also 100k cheaper. Also, you can get the Vantage S in a 6 speed manual so if you don't like the ASM2, just order a 6 speed .
The new Gallardo Egear is totally different, so you cannot compare. The old Gallardo gen1 Egear was crap by comparison. The Egear on my 2011 and 2012 Gallardos were unbelievable, to the point where I never even desired dual clutch.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:34 AM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
I agree that AM makes a very good manual tranny and it is a good option. As far as the sport shift goes, I have had regular early 4.3 car, N420 and now S.
I have owned or driven many of the Ferrari offerings and Gallardos as well and I have no modulating smooth performance shifts. Could be the car, drive style, etc. So many variables...thats the beauty of it, every driver can find the option that suits their needs if they look around enough.
I have manuals on some other cars and like them very much, but the thing about sport shift trannies that I like best is the both hands on the wheel at all times.
Its a great time to be a car enthusiast imo.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:05 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
The new Gallardo Egear is totally different, so you cannot compare. The old Gallardo gen1 Egear was crap by comparison. The Egear on my 2011 and 2012 Gallardos were unbelievable, to the point where I never even desired dual clutch.
Sounds like I need to take one for a test drive

Personally I prefer the single clutch because it's not smooth like double clutch (aka automatic). I had an E90 M3 and I hated it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drove the Vantage S ... I have changed my mind