Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Anyone have this issue? (AMV8 related)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 10:48 AM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Glad to be of service.

For the record, I usually have to add about 1 liter total throughout the year before it's time to do a full oil change.

so, you are a once a year guy at about 6 k miles driven??

Old 05-08-2014, 11:02 AM
tko211 is a jewel in the roughtko211 is a jewel in the roughtko211 is a jewel in the rough
Wink

Originally Posted by XWCGT
how in the heck did you get 4 quarts low????? that's really amazing, expecially since the AMV8 seems to only burn a quart every 4-5k miles. did you ever just check the oil level cold?
When I bought the car used, the first thing I did was have the oil service done. I dove the Vantage for about 8,500 miles and was preparing for the next oil change when I bumped into the 4 quarts low thing! As my first post outlines, I was experiencing the sound of the starved oil pump. (this is my first car with a dry sump) So it was all new to me. Luckily the Karl saved my bacon and I filled the car back up, then 1,000 miles later did another change.

Since then I have become very diligent about checking the oil. I also know what to listen for now and what it means. Since then I have only had to top it off about 1/2 a quart about every 3k miles.

I now suspect that when I had the first oil change done, it was short at least 1-2 quarts to begin with.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:08 AM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
wow, that's crazy! sad you had to add 4 quarts to drive the next 1000miles and then change the oil....that's almost half the new oil change cost. (and the oil was only half as dirty )

by the way, I notice a whine of my vantage when cold too, and for the first 2 miles or so. my oil is always full, and I also thought it might be the PS pump or something else spinning in the engine compartment. (water pump, etc)

its got me a little worried, but it doesn't sound too far from normal.

does anyone else just check the oil when cold or hot and not worry about the " running the car for 20 seconds" thing?

Old 05-08-2014, 11:43 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by XWCGT
so, you are a once a year guy at about 6 k miles driven??
??? As I stated earlier, I drive about 10K miles on the Aston per year and change the oil annually per the maintenance instructions in the service manual. Don't know where you got the 6K miles number from. Here's the actual quote:
Originally Posted by karlfranz
I drive approximately 10K miles a year, so my oil change coincides with both those metrics. I do check the level and top off as needed during the year, though.

Last edited by karlfranz; 05-08-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:08 PM
It was just a guess. (and missed that quoted statement) so, i figured not many folks drive their AMs more than about 6 k per year and i think just the age of the oil after a year, is reason enough to change it. but i wanted to see what everyone else was doing.
im at about 6k per year and i think ill do it annually.