Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Leather pulling on my dash...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 04:50 AM
rscultho is on a distinguished road
Leather pulling on my dash...

So I've had the car - what - 6 days now? The leather is pulling on the dash, drivers side, upper console near the center.

I've not experienced any other issues, outside of squeally brakes, but that's not an issue for me. This is not a huge pull, and it looks like the piece that the leather is on may be removable without removing the whole dash. Hoping someone here may know about that. I parked it one day in the sun, rest of the time in the covered parking deck at work. At home it stays inside the garage. I am trying to find a good sunshade (any recommendations would be appreciated!). I had a sunshade in my XKR that was made specifically for that windshield size and shape; trying to find the same type for the DBS>

If this is the only issue I have with the car for a bit I'll be fine. I'd just like to get it fixed. I have a call in to the dealer, but I am waiting to see what they will do about it.

If anyone has any info regarding the difficulty or expense of fixing this myself I'd appreciate any info you could throw my way! Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Leather_pull_1_2.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	354268  
Old 04-02-2014, 05:38 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Old 04-02-2014, 05:45 AM
Originally Posted by karlfranz

Thanks very much! That's fantastic info!

Old 04-02-2014, 06:13 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
This is a common issue. Sun and heat cause the leather to shrink. Best to avoid leaving the dash exposed to direct sunlight for extended periods of time.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:33 AM
nycabman will become famous soon enough
Had the same issue with my Virage, passenger side top panel. Dealer tried to stretch and re glue, came back looking like crap. Had them order new leather and dash panel from factory and install. Took a good 2 months but looks new again. I would not recommend repairing yourself, will never come out perfect. Absolutely need to keep out of direct sunlight.

As far as the squeaky brakes, also had numerous dealer visits, tried all the usual fixes, same nonsense... They even replaced the pads, same thing. When I really want it to stop for a day, I brake hard from 70mph a couple times and it goes away for a couple hours...

Old 04-02-2014, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by nycabman
Had the same issue with my Virage, passenger side top panel. Dealer tried to stretch and re glue, came back looking like crap. Had them order new leather and dash panel from factory and install. Took a good 2 months but looks new again. I would not recommend repairing yourself, will never come out perfect. Absolutely need to keep out of direct sunlight.

As far as the squeaky brakes, also had numerous dealer visits, tried all the usual fixes, same nonsense... They even replaced the pads, same thing. When I really want it to stop for a day, I brake hard from 70mph a couple times and it goes away for a couple hours...
Thanks...yes, the service manager told me about the brakes the day I picked it up. He said if they become squeally from driving in slow traffic to get going fast and brake hard. I have done this, but like you said it comes back in a short period. It doesn't bother me a great deal, so it's not a huge issue with me.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:50 AM
Ellipsis is on a distinguished road
I'm wondering if the 3m Ceramic clear window film would do the trick. I've seen it installed on a friends BMW and it really does work at keeping the inside temps cool even on the hottest days. Anyone else have experience with this?

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...eramic_Series/

Old 04-02-2014, 06:55 AM
Yes, I had this in my 2010 XKR and it made a huge difference in direct sun. The last place I worked I did not have covered parking and the 3M Ceramic tint reduced the temps quite a bit, as well as the UV. I had 65% tint put on the windshield...helped with bright light but was hardly noticeable.

I had forgotten about that...I think I will take the DBS and have that done.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:06 AM
jroback is on a distinguished road
Did you purchase your AM at Motorcars of GA? That's where I got my V8V, and the sunshade that came with the vehicle works well. Some of the dashboard leather was stretched when I bought mine, and over the last 5 months I've parked it outside during the day ~ 50% of the time (using the sunshade every time). I've seen no exacerbation of the leather problems.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by jroback
Did you purchase your AM at Motorcars of GA? That's where I got my V8V, and the sunshade that came with the vehicle works well. Some of the dashboard leather was stretched when I bought mine, and over the last 5 months I've parked it outside during the day ~ 50% of the time (using the sunshade every time). I've seen no exacerbation of the leather problems.
Yes, I got the car there. The car did not have/come with a sunshade. I think I have found one here:
Amazon.com: Intro-Tech Automotive AM-01-R Reflector Sunshade: Automotive Amazon.com: Intro-Tech Automotive AM-01-R Reflector Sunshade: Automotive

I don't have any other issues with shrinking leather anywhere else, just that one spot. I am parking in our parking deck at work during the day.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:37 AM
Dealer is gonna fix my dash leather...so that is a good thing. I was hoping they would not come back with a "sorry that's not covered" line.

I am happy.

Will follow up on the fit of the sun shade when it arrives.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:06 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by rscultho
Yes, I got the car there. The car did not have/come with a sunshade. I think I have found one here:
Amazon.com: Intro-Tech Automotive AM-01-R Reflector Sunshade: Automotive

I don't have any other issues with shrinking leather anywhere else, just that one spot. I am parking in our parking deck at work during the day.
Before you buy that product, Google "Heat Shield Store", the link will probably be 2nd or 3rd down. They custom make an excellent product and very well priced. I have one for my Vantage V8 and it fits perfectly--Love it.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:21 AM
nycabman will become famous soon enough
As I mentioned, my dealer repaired mine and it was not acceptable. The glue they are most likely going to use will not last, and/or when they affix the leather it will still show stretch marks. Check it carefully, and if not acceptable, make them order new from factory. It will take longer but will be perfect.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by nycabman
As I mentioned, my dealer repaired mine and it was not acceptable. The glue they are most likely going to use will not last, and/or when they affix the leather it will still show stretch marks. Check it carefully, and if not acceptable, make them order new from factory. It will take longer but will be perfect.
Will do - thanks!

Old 04-11-2014, 10:49 AM
Basic Sponsor
Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rscultho
So I've had the car - what - 6 days now? The leather is pulling on the dash, drivers side, upper console near the center.

I've not experienced any other issues, outside of squeally brakes, but that's not an issue for me. This is not a huge pull, and it looks like the piece that the leather is on may be removable without removing the whole dash. Hoping someone here may know about that. I parked it one day in the sun, rest of the time in the covered parking deck at work. At home it stays inside the garage. I am trying to find a good sunshade (any recommendations would be appreciated!). I had a sunshade in my XKR that was made specifically for that windshield size and shape; trying to find the same type for the DBS>

If this is the only issue I have with the car for a bit I'll be fine. I'd just like to get it fixed. I have a call in to the dealer, but I am waiting to see what they will do about it.

If anyone has any info regarding the difficulty or expense of fixing this myself I'd appreciate any info you could throw my way! Thanks!
This typically happens with both UV and Infrared exposure. In hotter climates, this becomes more of a problem. Infrared drys out the leather while UV degrades and fades it. Best thing to do is to have a clear window film applied to the glass.

Spectra PhotoSync is what we use and what we use exclusively because of its exceptional UV and Infrared Rejection. In addition, you do not have to go dark at all....staying relatively light. They make a 75% film, which is pretty clear. For comparison purposes, factory glass is anywhere from 75%-85%.

Not sure who may be in your area, but give Prestige Film Technologies a call to see if they have a Spectra Dealer in your area. 408-657-3880 or vtran@prestige-films.com

Sharing our Passion on Youtube: https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Premier

Facebook: https://urlgeni.us/facebook/Premier

42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA. 510-623-1308 sales@premiermobilegroup.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Leather pulling on my dash...