Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Window switch works backwards?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 10:02 PM
timwhayden is on a distinguished road
Window switch works backwards?

I have a '13 V8V and when I pull the window switch down the window goes up and when I push it up the window goes down and this is for both windows. Is this normal or did they install the switch upside down?

Old 10-12-2013, 10:43 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
thats what i found out today, i guess it's normal and dumb... lol..

Old 10-13-2013, 05:29 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
That's normal in all cars that have a push-pull button. Perhaps your prior car used a rocker switch set-up?

Old 10-13-2013, 06:47 AM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wa1l1in
thats what i found out today, i guess it's normal and dumb... lol..
Normal, going back over 50 years.

I've always seen it as pulling "up" on the switch to put the window "up", pushing "down" on the switch to put the window "down". Has always made sense to me.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:49 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
i just realized it is the proper way, BUT it being upright, it seems opposite of convention.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:37 PM
ArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the rough
Same as my wife's M3. Push down, pull up. Takes a bit to get used to over older conventional style push/rocker switches. My fleet Ford Escape is the same way also.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Ok,Ok, you guys win. If it were lying flat then pushing it down to make the window go down makes sense. But with it upright it still seems counterintuitive to me. Oh well.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:56 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Old 10-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Actually that thread was about one touch down function and lack of one touch up function instead of my observation that the switch is counterintuitive in the direction you have to press the switch to get it to go up or down.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:35 PM
its just the position cause i was like "these windows dont work"... pulling it... but if i were to have the buttons like a normal car it would be exactly the same they are just 90* off the normal plane of use.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Banned
R_Rated is just really niceR_Rated is just really niceR_Rated is just really niceR_Rated is just really niceR_Rated is just really nice
Jaguar actually had a recall for the switch that controls the convertible top. The reason is there is a Federal safety mandate that when you close a window (convertible top counts) that you have to be pulling away from the button and not pushing. The reason is that if you are pushing and slip the government feels there is a chance your hand could continue slipping and castrate your hand. The thought is if you have to "pull" the button to close the window and your hand slips then your hand will slip away from the window saving from amputation and blood squirting all over the beautiful interior.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:56 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
What a load of nonsense. Since when is your hand (or fingers) anywhere near the window opening when pressing the window or top buttons?

Old 10-15-2013, 03:07 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
You can thank NHSTA for requirements like these. They are going to save you from yourself.

On motorcycles, all makers must install flip caps so the hinge is towards the rider, to save the ride from a gasoline splash on filling. This is hugely annoying and is so awkward that it CAUSES the splash because when filling your fighting the handlebars with the hose. I'm sure the people at NHSTA that made this rule are active riders and owners. Luckily on most bikes its not to hard to turn them around

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mONott0ykFd0Oqwni__xY3g_zpse07d0e76.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	290202  
Old 10-15-2013, 04:19 PM
phun-ky is on a distinguished road
I've heard the switch is supposed to lower window when pushed down for safety reasons ie. kid or pet stepping on the switch with their head out...

Old 10-15-2013, 07:13 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by phun-ky
I've heard the switch is supposed to lower window when pushed down for safety reasons ie. kid or pet stepping on the switch with their head out...
You mean like this DOT Safety Standard that applies to power window and top switches?
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/ruli...FinalRule.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Window switch works backwards?