Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Fire Extinguisher

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 05:09 PM
TripleNet has a spectacular aura aboutTripleNet has a spectacular aura about
Fire Extinguisher

Any thoughts on installing a small one between the seats or on the roll bar ?

Dont want the car to look cheesy - but I think a small chrome or red one to match my stitching would look good....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	halguard_1.jpg
Views:	3999
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	312061  
Old 12-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
I have one in my 993 mounted on a bracket that fits under the seat frame of the passenger seat -- the seat frame is unbolted, the mount inserted under it, and the seat frame is bolted down again. It's a very solid mounting, and it's mostly out of the way at the back of the passenger footwell.

I've thought about it for the V8V, but I don't know where I'd put it. The roof supports seem like an obvious choice, but I don't know that I'd be comfortable having a rather heavy metal object attached to something behind my (or my passenger's) head. If it broke free in a crash, the result could be If there is a very solid and secure way to mount one, I might be interested. Of course, Astons aren't Italian, so the need to carry an extinguisher seems less urgent

Old 12-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Not sure a fire extinguisher really "goes" with an Aston, unless it's a stripped out track version.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:36 PM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Not sure a fire extinguisher really "goes" with an Aston, unless it's a stripped out track version.
I agree - but if you have ever driven up on anyone, especially someone you know, in need you wish you had one.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
I've never had the opportunity. Anyway, the OP was thinking of adding this for the look, not for putting out other people's fires.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:29 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Its not a real good idea to mount a fire extinguisher up high, because they can - and do - come loose in a crash and turn into a 5 lb missile that can take your head off. They belong on the floor, in front of the seat if you have to have one, or in the trunk.

First time I've ever seen someone want to use one as 'decor'. Man, some of the stuff you guys come up with leaves me shaking my head....

Old 12-17-2013, 05:38 AM
Originally Posted by drcollie
First time I've ever seen someone want to use one as 'decor'. Man, some of the stuff you guys come up with leaves me shaking my head....
Safety and "decor" ..... Form and function ..

I guess your bikes and cars are all stock with nothing added or modified - Yes ?

Old 12-17-2013, 06:30 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TripleNet
Safety and "decor" ..... Form and function ..

I guess your bikes and cars are all stock with nothing added or modified - Yes ?
Your own quote my friend,

....I think a small chrome or red one to match my stitching would look good....

Yes, it would look cheesy and those of us that are experienced track instructors would see that in your car and ask you to remove it during a track session if mounted on the vertical bar supports. Sorry if that's not the answer you were looking for...

Old 12-17-2013, 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by drcollie
Your own quote my friend,

....I think a small chrome or red one to match my stitching would look good....

Yes, it would look cheesy and those of us that are experienced track instructors would see that in your car and ask you to remove it during a track session if mounted on the vertical bar supports. Sorry if that's not the answer you were looking for...
I asked a simple question and hoped for honest responses ...

But thanks for letting me know you are an "experienced track instructor"...

Old 12-17-2013, 07:50 AM
Oh! Man, I'm sorry.....I just saw your sig line and that you put 22" wheels on a LS460. Now I understand. Carry on.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:47 AM
Warm and safe behind the computer isn't it.

Shame

Old 12-17-2013, 08:49 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Has anyone here ever used one of those tiny extinguishers in a real car fire? I find it hard to believe they would be very effective at putting out anything greater than a lit match.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:12 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by TripleNet
I think a small chrome or red one to match my stitching would look good....
I dunno. I'm still stuck on the chrome stitching.

Hey, if you want to bling up your car with a fire extinguisher, go for it! The best place for it is under the front of the passenger seat. That way it's safe in a crash, easily accessible for both driver and passenger, and when folks first get in your car they'll see it and think that you're either very cool, very safety conscious or very fashionable.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by beemer guy

and when folks first get in your car they'll see it and think that you're either very cool, very safety conscious or very fashionable.
I am all three ....

In all seriousness,,, I know it may be a bit much to put one in there - thats why I asked the question...

As a kid I always noticed them in race cars and thought they looked kinda cool.... And are we not just big kids at heart ?