Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Door lock issue....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 10:44 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Door lock issue....

Did a long search regarding door lock issues (common on the older astons)... And I feel like mine is different than most of the issues I have seen.

My battery was just replaced a few weeks ago prior to my purchase at the dealership, but for some reason when I trie to lock the car with the keyfob it won't lock.

The car unlocks fine with the keyfob but it won't lock. It won't light up the parking lights when I go to lock using the keyfob. Usually on my last aston when I did this it meant one of the doors or hatch was not closed completely. When I would then close everything it would lock and the parking lights would blink to acknowledge. I am not getting that confirmation or beep.

I am aware of the old Spanish lock units (which my car possibly still has) but I sit possible that it's not the actual locking mechanism and it's just a software issue?

Is it possible this is due to a settings issue since the battery was just replaced? I can still lock the door no problems manually with the key, but for some reason it's just not locking using the fob, all other functionality works.

Is this settings issue or door closed sensor issue? Will a module reset fix this? I am trying to avoid the Aston dealership here bc our local dealership just tries to replace everything unnecessarily just to rack up the bill.

Thanks,

Old 12-17-2013, 11:36 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Have you got a second key fob you can test out? That way you can determine very quickly if its the fob or the car software not recognizing the signal. The fobs themselves have may not be making good contact on the one switch, I'd suspect that as well because its working one way, just not the other.

You may need to re-program the remote.

Depending on what year your car is, you might find some answers on Volvo forums since that's the electrics used in the car.

Good luck

Old 12-17-2013, 02:10 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
I have both key fobs and all 3 keys that came originally with the car (very rare with used cars, it was a gem to say the least). Neither works for lock function, both unlock fine.

I feel like it's the "door closed" sensor probably, but not sure if that requires just a software reset or replacement. Is there anyway to reset the door closed sensors myself?

Thanks

Old 12-17-2013, 03:52 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
You probably wait to see what Irish says - he'll know.

I took a look on the Volvo forums with a search, and they have the same issues that seem to be corrected by unplugging the box with the green plug above the gas pedal, re-connecting then cycling the key 5x to get into reset mode. But that is a Volvo...wait and I'm sure our resident Aston expert mechanic will tell you how.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Hey guys,

After messing with it more I realized what the issue is. My settings must be off for door lock confirmation (flashing lights and beep).

I realized it has the same issue my old one had which would lock one door and not the other then vice versa. The cure is simply to open both doors then close and hit key fob lock. Locks both every time.

Can I turn on the beep & hazards flash settings myself or can that only be done by the dealership?

Thanks

Old 12-18-2013, 06:30 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Awesome, locks can be a pain..I forget what year Aston allowed the light confirmation to be adjusted by the driver..but thinking 2009+ when the new radio interface came out..through radio go into menu..then car settings, then lights, lock confirm..I know it's there just don't know if it was 2009 or later that Aston allowed the driver to adjust it..if it's not there then dealer visit would be needed to turn the setting on for lights on to confirm lock

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 12-18-2013, 11:49 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Light confirmation of lock/unlock is available on 2007MY under Menu/Settings/Vehicle Settings.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Awesome, thanks Karl!!

Old 12-19-2013, 12:49 AM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
are you trying to copy my thread??

same thing happened to me. just got the car, but he seller failed to tell me of the door lock issue.

fob could unlock the doors, but not lock the driver side.

it was a driver side computer issue. BUT, you cant just replace one, you need to pull both and replace, so, $1.6K later, I have new locking door computers and as a bonus, when I lock the door, the mirrors automatically fold in. very cool!

Old 12-19-2013, 12:54 AM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
btw, how do you get the "beep" lock confirmation? I was able to get in the menu settings to do the lights on for confirmation lock and unlock, but I didn't see any settings for the "beep"

sounds like you might have fixed the problem some kind of sequence of opening the doors and then locking them. I tried all the possible combination of things, and nothing worked. the shop tried to reflash the computers, and that didn't work. one was bad. UGGGGG. I didn't need that expense after just buying the car.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:54 AM
Ya I figured out that secret sequence on my last car. For some reason opening both doors THEN hitting lock button on fob will lock both. I think it's something having to do with both door sensors resetting at same time indicating door closed. It works everytime. It's still annoying but I learned to live with it.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:39 AM
so, if it stops working, you know what you have to do..... get the new upgraded computer modules. $550 each. ouch! hopefully, it doesn't happen..
btw, do your mirrors collapse when you lock the car with the FOB? wondering if that was the upgraded programing you get with the new updated computers.
glad its working for you now.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:54 PM
Hey guys,

Changed the setting, was a piece of cake (thanks again Karl). Locking confirmation now works, I guess beep was never there. I was confusing that with my Lamborghinis (which do have a quiet single beep).

The door locks appear to be locking better now, although they will sometimes only lock one side. However, opening both doors then using keyfob always works 100% of the time.

XWCGT, no the mirrors do not fold on, and I do not want them to. Even on my cars that have that feature I deactivate because over time the motors always fail so its one way to minimize issues down the road.

For now I can cope, if door lock issues ever gets too problematic I will get the door modules.

Thanks again!

Old 12-22-2013, 11:55 PM
good idea on disabling the mirror movement motors on locking the car. But, how do you do that, is that a programing thing at the dealer? I only want it to dot hat when you push both side rear view mirror buttons. (when you need them to fold in)