Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

thoughts on V8V S vs V12V?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 09:05 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Fubar
0-60 times (which are irrelevant but I couldn't find the 60-130 times)

V8V-S: 3.9sec
V12 : 4.1sec
You're correct, 0-60 times are irrelevant. In addition to power and torque, they test how well a car can be launched from a stop. Unless you are buying the car for drag racing, this means nothing. Also, I'd take take all 0-60 times published out there with a grain of salt. I started a thread about this a while ago. The car media basically fudges the 0-60 numbers with something called rollout, which can result in very inconsistent numbers.

My point is that, if you think the V8S and the V12V provide about the same performance in terms of real-world driving, think again. The cars are completely different.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:01 PM
No32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of light
I owned both cars, in my case once I got used to the v12 I get better and faster results , it's not in any real lab control conditions but I do keep track of time , weather condition, gps location / speed ( not connected to car so I don't have any car analyses )

I love driving the v12 I know there are faster cars, I drove many of them but for somehow get more kick from it.

From time to time I'm toying with the thought of replacing it with a different brand but can't find the right one for me

Old 01-16-2014, 09:35 PM
Fubar has a spectacular aura aboutFubar has a spectacular aura about
I hear ya, there isn't much out there that can do what both of these car do. They look and sound amazing. They are made with the driver in mind but they are civilized enough to keep the wife at bay. And regardless of the individual sticker price, the badge is still rare enough that everyone who sees it, takes a moment to look and imagine themselves in it... priceless.

Whatever car you choose, you'll be a happy driver.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:41 PM
bluesun is on a distinguished road
Well, I'm in this situation today. Was all set to buy a V8S but the dealer is jerking me around. I could have an '11 V12 for the price of a new '13 V8S. My favorite driving is in the mountains where the lighter weight would be an advantage. I don't know which way to go. Hmmm..

Old 01-17-2014, 01:55 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Okay, I'll speak frankly: You are an idiot to not take the V12V! Of course, this is just one man's opinion.

I took my V12V up to the mountains on many occasions and it never ceased to impress me as to how well it handled. We have a group of guys that go up to the mountains every now and then and it includes many Lambo owners. An Italian exotic never got away from me. Get the V12V. You won't regret it.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:05 PM
No32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of light
Funny my v12 performs so much better in the mountains of Colorado and Texas hill county than my old v8s Have you ever drove the v12v on mountains roads ?

Last edited by No32; 01-17-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:35 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Unless you want the SportShift or a brand new car, I think you're crazy for going V8 Any over the V12V if price isn't a factor.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:58 AM
I know these guys think the V12 is the best option because it has more torque but I'm telling you the 7 speed AMT lets you keep the V8 right at the edge of its power band without being deep into rpms. The transmission is the engineers solution to less power. If you want a third peddle (ie: clutch) then the V12 is great. The V8-S is much more civil around town and runs like a scalded dog when you open it up. The merrid of songs about the V12 being a jewel of a motor and far more desirable to a V8 are laughable. It is a relic that is built less often because it is more difficult manufacture and MAINTAIN. V8 can make the same power with basic bolt ons that most people want to do anyway, hell an inline 4 can crank out 500hp all day.

No offense boys, I just had to take a minute to give you a taste of what you were dishing out.

Cheers

Old 01-18-2014, 09:11 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
so what about a V12VS then

Old 01-18-2014, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Fubar
I know these guys think the V12 is the best option because it has more torque but I'm telling you the 7 speed AMT lets you keep the V8 right at the edge of its power band without being deep into rpms. ..
Cheers
You'll likely only need two gears when you're tearing through the mountains in the V12V. I found that I stayed in 3rd gear 90% of the time. I would occasionally shift up to 4th for straighter sections, before shifting back down to third for the next turn. Another advantage of the V12V (thanks for reminding me) is that it has such a wide power/torque band, you hardly even need to shift.

Have you driven both the V8S and the V12V in the mountains? If not, it's hard for you to say what the V12V is like in that environment and which is better of the two, right?

Old 01-18-2014, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by mikey k
so what about a V12VS then
Can't say as I haven't had the opportunity, but I'd sure like one! Anyone have a V12VS I could borrow?

Old 01-18-2014, 02:00 PM
bluesun is on a distinguished road
In the mountains I find it's not the acceleration, but how fast I can take the corners. Last time I arrived at the restaurant on the top of the mountain, the cook arrived from the other direction with a 95 mph ticket in a 55 zone. Very easy to go way too fast in just about anything. I'm leaning to the v12, but the owner isn't giving up any information about the car, so maybe that's not meant to be either.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:14 PM
I think it will be a mistake to choose one car over the other based on specs, could be because I don't really understand how to translate it to real driving

Old 01-19-2014, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by Racer_X
You'll likely only need two gears when you're tearing through the mountains in the V12V. I found that I stayed in 3rd gear 90% of the time. I would occasionally shift up to 4th for straighter sections, before shifting back down to third for the next turn. Another advantage of the V12V (thanks for reminding me) is that it has such a wide power/torque band, you hardly even need to shift.

Have you driven both the V8S and the V12V in the mountains? If not, it's hard for you to say what the V12V is like in that environment and which is better of the two, right?
I'm not sure who you are directing your spcoments to, me or the OP? Oh well, I'll give it a shot... No mountain day for me but I have played with both at a local track called Eagles Canyon Raceway. I thought both cars preformed exceptionally well for big heavy English busses. The out come was much of what has been stated here already, with slightly different interpretations of the experience. V8S was surprisingly nimble and I was very comfortable letting the Aston maintain its track setting for stability and traction control. The V8S in sport mode would make loud bellowing howls as I found my way out of the turns and it would gurgle and pop when I used the clutch as a 5th brake disc. Going into those same turn. Lots more gear shifts than the V12 but with the computer doing rev matching and double clutching into first, I really didn't mind. The I filled the car up with gas and drove the 1 hour or so back to my house. Engaging auto-shift for a few miles because my arms and leg were cramping up a bit from the track.

The V12 was smooth as a wisp getting warmed up and for all this talk of big power the V12 feels very light on its feet. Aston is definately pulling from its race heritage to sort out the balance on this motor. Acceleration is flawless once you figure out the correct modulation for gas/clutch/gas. The V12 shows it's higher COG thru the turns but you can overcome a bad exit angle with a good one by feathering the back tires to the outside with a simple throttle dump.

No auto-shift meant my shaky left leg was still trying to delicately modulate the clutch on my way home and it just wasn't as pretty. However, less shifts reduced the need for that considerably.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:06 AM
AstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Racer_X
I think on mountain roads it is actually more fun to shift more frequently. It gives a greater feeling of involvement, which is what the driving there is all about. Especially with the ASM2 in a lighter, more tossable car, it can be a more rewarding experience.

Everybody has their own preferences of course.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: thoughts on V8V S vs V12V?