Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

thoughts on V8V S vs V12V?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 11:38 AM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I actually love the lipstick on Aston race cars and I would love it on a bonkers road car, and the V12VS is not that car. It would make sense on a stripped out version, one with carbon instead of plush leather. Create a hard top version of the interior of the CC100. Make it extreme, make it a jewel of the stripped out car world.

But the V12VS and the big RSGT Jag are an odd mix of plush and boy racer, not really convincing at either as a result. They have a mixed aesthetic because they have a mixed bag of purposes. The hardcore performance and exterior would be better if the interior felt like it was a part of that story. As you can see I'm a huge fan of cars like the F40 or the Scuds. If you want hardcore, don't be a ***** about it

Old 02-01-2014, 12:55 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by black penguin
I actually love the lipstick on Aston race cars and I would love it on a bonkers road car, and the V12VS is not that car. It would make sense on a stripped out version, one with carbon instead of plush leather. Create a hard top version of the interior of the CC100. Make it extreme, make it a jewel of the stripped out car world.

But the V12VS and the big RSGT Jag are an odd mix of plush and boy racer, not really convincing at either as a result. They have a mixed aesthetic because they have a mixed bag of purposes. The hardcore performance and exterior would be better if the interior felt like it was a part of that story. As you can see I'm a huge fan of cars like the F40 or the Scuds. If you want hardcore, don't be a ***** about it
That's a very good point. The lipstick would be expected on a Scud style V12V and it would have to standout in someway to set it apart and give it the racer feel. I love this idea!

Old 02-02-2014, 09:03 AM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
Hey, there is always another opinion. Guess who wins this one?

Old 02-02-2014, 02:53 PM
V12V will become famous soon enough
I'm glad he liked the Aston but it still needs the manual. I am curious if anyone here is considering trading their V12V for a V12VS? I know I am not interested but I do plan to drive the S to form my own opinion of the car. Have any dealers received one yet?

Old 02-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Texas F1 will become famous soon enough
The Austin dealer has a reception this Thursday and will be unveiling the V12VS.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:43 PM
i would not trade mine, though I would like the extra 50 horses and the faster steering rack.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:37 PM
scottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura about
Old 02-04-2014, 08:17 AM
I read the R&T article last week. Pretty much the same as the other reviews. "It's a really nice car and we love everything about it except for the transmission." Well, I am not spending $200K for a car that is great as long as I make allowances for a subpar transmission. BTY I have not seen a review yet that could confirm Astons's 3.7 second 0-60 time. The best I have seen is 4 seconds flat. They all say the trans doesn't allow a hard start in first gear. R&T echoed that result. I would like to see Aston address this.

How many negative reviews does it take to get the point across? The SS III is not the answer. Give us the manual option and develop a modern auto and scrap the SS.
At least give us the manual option for the time being and I, for one, will buy a V12S.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:53 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by V12V

How many negative reviews does it take to get the point across? The SS III is not the answer. Give us the manual option and develop a modern auto and scrap the SS.
At least give us the manual option for the time being and I, for one, will buy a V12S.
I concur with this statement. It must be tough for Aston representatives to tow the company line about SS3 being so great when in their hearts and minds they know differently.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by V12V
I read the R&T article last week. Pretty much the same as the other reviews. "It's a really nice car and we love everything about it except for the transmission." Well, I am not spending $200K for a car that is great as long as I make allowances for a subpar transmission. BTY I have not seen a review yet that could confirm Astons's 3.7 second 0-60 time. The best I have seen is 4 seconds flat. They all say the trans doesn't allow a hard start in first gear. R&T echoed that result. I would like to see Aston address this.

While I personally don't care much about 0-60 launches, I'm also not going to spend $200k for a car with a mediocre gearbox. At that price you shouldn't have to compromise.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:07 PM
X: My point exactly. We should not have to compromise for that kind of money.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:31 PM
If only they had another amazing gearbox they could put in an V12 Vantage??? Oh wait I have one with that

Old 02-05-2014, 02:52 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by black penguin
i would not trade mine, though I would like the extra 50 horses and the faster steering rack.
Penguin: Get the headers and 200 cell cats from Stuart and there's your 50+ horses… As for the new rack, source one from you locate Aston dealership and have it installed… way cheaper than trading your V12 for a V12S then swapping the transmission! Oh and while your at it, don't' forget to order the V12S badging for the rear.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:17 PM
Texas F1 will become famous soon enough
I mentioned earlier in this thread that my local dealer was showing a new V12VS this week. I saw it last night and then went back today to drive the car. It is a yellow demo or press car with California plates (with about 9,000 miles on it) that has been circulating around the dealers. I think it is headed to Houston this weekend.

In spite of all the grumblings about the transmission, I was pleasantly surprised (after not expecting much) and thought the speed and smoothness of the shifts were well matched to the engine. The downshifts incorporate a nice throttle blip to match revs and the upshifts were very quick and seamless. Given the choice between this and a 6 speed, I'm not sure which way I'd go. My V8 Vantage has the 6 speed and that is normally my preference. The new V12VS is quite stunning and the brakes are amazing.