Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

thoughts on V8V S vs V12V?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 11:26 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fubar
I really enjoyed the few months I spent toying with that car but Ferrari doesn't like you to put miles on their car (and I can't let them sit in the garage).
This is so sad. I'd say to hell with mileage, I want to enjoy the car. Other than diminished value and potential high maintenance bills that come with higher mileage, are there other issues? Do the cars self-destruct after 30K miles? :-)

Old 01-24-2014, 11:33 AM
damen is on a distinguished road
I dont know how true it is, but the joke with ferrari's was always that you had to have the engines rebuilt every 20-30k miles.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:48 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by karlfranz
This is so sad. I'd say to hell with mileage, I want to enjoy the car. Other than diminished value and potential high maintenance bills that come with higher mileage, are there other issues? Do the cars self-destruct after 30K miles? :-)
Originally Posted by damen
I dont know how true it is, but the joke with ferrari's was always that you had to have the engines rebuilt every 20-30k miles.
There is no reason. They don't need rebuilds or anything like that (I can only speak to F430+). They are just like any other exotic car. The problem that I've noticed is Fcar owners are very fickle about things like mileage when buying. Everyone wants a car with no miles on it so you take a big depreciation hit when you break the 10k miles mark.

The same thing applies to Lambo, Aston Martin, McLaren, or any exotic. It's just Ferrari owners seem more conscious of it. On the flip side, Ferrari seem to hold their value better than any other exotic. Not sure if it's because of this, but probably has something to do with it.

Ferrari have started offering things like 7 years service and warranty on their new cars which should incentivize owners to drive a bit more. Who knows if it will work.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:16 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Yeah. It's easy to hold your value when you never drive the car. I have seen Ferraris at car shows that are over 40 years old and have less than 1500 miles on them. Truly sad. I think if you're that concerned about depreciation maybe you really can't afford the car after all.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Yes, Ferrari buyers are extremely sensitive to mileage. I'll cross the dreaded 10,000 mile mark soon with my scud. Oh well, not going to just leave her in the garage.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:46 PM
bluesun is on a distinguished road
Due to my frustrations with the sellers of the new V8S and the V12 Vantage, I went and drove an F type. Really just went by to see in person. I hadn't liked it much in pictures, but really liked it in person. But when I drove it, I was really impressed with the sound. Very cool, never heard so many snarls and pops from a non modified car. It was also very fast. The top went down quick, and the cabin was fairly isolated from wind. I liked the interior, it seemed modern and top notch materials. Also has the active suspension like the new V12S, plus when you flip the sport switch the exhaust opens up. It has as much power as the V12 and is faster according to the numbers I've seen. If you would prefer a hard top that is coming soon, and that will be available with 550hp.

I was going to buy a Vantage, and a Boxster in the fall. But driving the Boxster I didn't really feel anything special. I'm sure it's great in the mountains, but I think the F type has that fun to drive factor of the V12 Vantage. More fun every day, and still very good when the road turns twisty. If they had had the right color and options I would probably be driving it right now.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:51 PM
^^^^ Great car. Just don't go on any trips that require you to pack more than your toothbrush. Unless you're planning to ship your luggage to your destination first.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:16 PM
damen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by karlfranz
^^^^ Great car. Just don't go on any trips that require you to pack more than your toothbrush. Unless you're planning to ship your luggage to your destination first.
I never understood this attitude
I'm married.
my wife and I had matching lotuses as our only cars
went on lots of trips
had no problems

learn to pack folks

Old 01-24-2014, 01:30 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Try going on a trip with your wife on a motorcycle if you think packing in a sports car is bad...I get one side case, she gets the other side case and 1/2 the top case. The other half of the top case is for road repair items and waterproof gloves, etc.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dragon2012-1_zps10781181.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	324776  
Old 01-24-2014, 02:24 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bluesun
Due to my frustrations with the sellers of the new V8S and the V12 Vantage, I went and drove an F type. ...But when I drove it, I was really impressed with the sound. Very cool, never heard so many snarls and pops from a non modified car. ....
I thought I'd love the F but find it more and more dull looking every time I see one. Drove the v8-s. Liked the drive and power, but I hated the sound. Reminded me of the AMG sound. I know this is entirely subjective but it just sounds like a cheap tuner car. Yes, the pops and burbles, but the sound just lacks the panache of my Aston Martin.

The Jag is a fun car for sure. But I've come around to the thinking of many others on this forum and just find it in an entirely different league from the Vantage(s).

Why do you care so much about the sellers? Once the car is yours, they're a distant memory. Buy the CAR you want.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:47 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IbisRider
I thought I'd love the F but find it more and more dull looking every time I see one. Drove the v8-s. Liked the drive and power, but I hated the sound. Reminded me of the AMG sound. I know this is entirely subjective but it just sounds like a cheap tuner car. Yes, the pops and burbles, but the sound just lacks the panache of my Aston Martin.

The Jag is a fun car for sure. But I've come around to the thinking of many others on this forum and just find it in an entirely different league from the Vantage(s).

Why do you care so much about the sellers? Once the car is yours, they're a distant memory. Buy the CAR you want.
I agree with you on the "AMG" sound. It has never appealed to me but it's definitely subjective. I do however love the look of the F type coupe. I haven't seen it in person, but in pictures it looks great!

Old 01-24-2014, 02:50 PM
I just saw this V12V on eBay and it seems like a great deal. I know nothing about this car though and highly question it due to price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aston-Martin...-/271380803742

Old 01-24-2014, 03:04 PM
docapl is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RossL
There is no reason. They don't need rebuilds or anything like that (I can only speak to F430+). They are just like any other exotic car. The problem that I've noticed is Fcar owners are very fickle about things like mileage when buying. Everyone wants a car with no miles on it so you take a big depreciation hit when you break the 10k miles mark.

The same thing applies to Lambo, Aston Martin, McLaren, or any exotic. It's just Ferrari owners seem more conscious of it. On the flip side, Ferrari seem to hold their value better than any other exotic. Not sure if it's because of this, but probably has something to do with it.

Ferrari have started offering things like 7 years service and warranty on their new cars which should incentivize owners to drive a bit more. Who knows if it will work.
Once you decide to make the Scud a "keeper" you don't have to worry about the mileage anymore (14K on mine)... However, I could change my mind about that tomorrow night when I see the Huracan!

Old 01-24-2014, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by docapl
Huracan!
Bless you

Once you decide to make the Scud a "keeper" you don't have to worry about the mileage anymore (14K on mine)... However, I could change my mind about that tomorrow night when I see the Huracan!
On a more serious note. The Huracan is nice looking but if I had your stable, I'd replace the McLaren before the Scud. I might be a little bit partial

Old 01-24-2014, 03:56 PM
bluesun is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by IbisRider
Well with one they would have to ship the car and get all the proper paperwork filed with my state. Since they couldn't do the simple paper work, was too nervous to go through the deal. The other is a used car and the guy won't give me any information on the car, guess they are not serious about selling it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: thoughts on V8V S vs V12V?