Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

thoughts on V8V S vs V12V?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:53 AM
damen is on a distinguished road
thoughts on V8V S vs V12V?

Hey guys,
Just curious if anyone around here had driven (or has owned) both the V12 Vantage and the V8 Vantage S, and what your thoughts are between the two.

I'm leaning a bit towards V8V S right now, but man I'd love a V12 just because, well, v12

I know the 0-60 should be pretty similar between the two - how about other factors like livability? Is the v8 significantly more (or less) reliable?

Any other stuff I'm not thinking about that I should be?

(I previously DD's a Lotus Elise, so I'm not *too* worried about ride comfort)

Old 01-09-2014, 11:11 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
V12V. There are many reasons why, but the biggest one for me: torque.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:48 AM
DoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of light
I've owned both (2011 V8VS and 2011 V12V), and they are truly two different cars. There are pros and cons for both, so I'll quickly try to capture them.

V8VS - Has a tighter steering rack and small differences like Tire Pressures display option in the cluster and a slightly different style of the gauges (my preference). A lot of folks dislike AM's SportShift transmission, but I eventually got used to it. It was difficult at times and make the car seem more "civilized", but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. I basically learned to live with it.

V12V - The engine, torque and power difference is HUGE. No questions about it, it immediately sold me on the car. Drive a V8VS, then a V12V and you won't be able to go back. Even though it doesn't have the tighter steering rack (the new V12VS does), its not a deal breaker as the car stills feels nimble for it's chassis. After being on the SSII transmission, I didn't think I'd miss a 6-speed manual, but I was wrong. It really makes the car feel more raw, visceral and fun overall. Plus, manually controlling the clutch can potentially prolong the life of your clutch, versus the lifespan on SSII transmissions. I have the Carbon Black V12V, so the small tid-bit differences are nice, i.e. carbon fiber interior door handles, black mesh side grills, etc.

On both cars I removed the exhaust valve fuse to enjoy the full sound of the exhaust. The V8 obviously has a deeper tone, but the V12 seems to scream louder at WOT and picks up so fast that I find myself having to quickly shift between gears. I am glad I had the chance to own a V8VS cause it does really separate itself from a regular V8 Vantage (which I've also owned). Though there are small visual differences between the two (aside carbon fiber hood), the engine really separates the two.

And the last thing was the "dying breed" of a V12 manual transmission. All the other cars I've looked at have either dual-clutches or are bi-turbo V8's, etc. With the V12VS only in a SS transmission, a manual gearbox with a big engine is now a thing of the past, especially in such a small form-factor as the Vantage. I'm hoping V12V's will continue to hold their value as the automotive industry moves towards environmental friendly, fuel economic, smaller engine, easier to drive machines.

Best of luck with your search.

Last edited by DoubleLow7; 01-09-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:52 AM
thanks for the info
I'm currently rocking a C63 AMG, so the lack of a traditional manual isnt a super big deal for me in a GT car like this.

Your other points, though, are definitely worth noting! Man this is gonna be a tough decision.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:58 AM
DoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks; I forgot to mentioned another factor, the brakes. As you can see I have aftermarket rims, and on my V8VS they would dust very badly and would squeal from time to time. The V12V has larger carbon ceramics (which are just pretty to look at), but stop very aggressively, have the occasional squeak, but hardly dust at all (big for me). Plus, I've been told the lifespan is significantly longer (granted they are significantly more costly).

Old 01-09-2014, 12:55 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
If I were in the market again and had the extra $$ to choose, I'd buy a V12V because it's really the best Aston has to offer in a smaller box . I've never owned a V12V but I've driven them for hours. I owned a V8VS for about a year and a half. Both are very comfortable and you will be happy with the ride quality. It's nothing like an Elise. It's comfortable drive and interior, sound deadening, and a visceral sound that the 4 banger Lotus simply can't produce. However, you can't beat the Elise in handling and no other car out can.

Here's why I'd go V12V
  • It has a lot more torque and you notice it immediately.
  • The car has a stiffer ride due to the massive V12 but it's very well balanced. I'd say it's on par in driver feel with the V8VS but has the V12 bonus.
  • Carbon Ceramic brakes! They stop you immediately and produce no brake dust. I love them on my Ferrari so much that I can't imagine going back to brake dust again.
  • V12 rumble. The car sounds amazing!
  • Manual gearbox is standard. The V8VS only has the SportShift up to MY12 I think. I prefer the manual and the V12V's is very good.
  • Resale value. The V12V seems to be holding much better than the V8VS. The V12VS might hit these cars a little bit but without a manual option in the V12VS, I think the V12V will either bounce back or hold it's value.

The V12V feels heavier when you drive it but has a lot more torque and you notice it. Simply put, the V12V is a beast. It's stiffer than the V8VS but not uncomfortable at all, has much better brakes, and has a better resale value.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:24 PM
b_gust99 will become famous soon enough
I have essentially nothing new to add, but would reiterate the torque factor. I had planned to order a manual v8s when they were first offered last year about this time. I test drove the v8s and they happened to have a v12 on the lot. After test driving both, I never looked back and went for the v12. I do prefer the v8 hood vents, but otherwise v12 all the way. I really like the big meaty shifter too... although it's blazing hot in the summer sun.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:56 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by b_gust99
... I really like the big meaty shifter too... although it's blazing hot in the summer sun.
...and freezing cold in the winter.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:15 PM
lol thankfully it doesnt get overly hot OR cold in the bay area

Old 01-09-2014, 03:40 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
You need to motor on down to Los Gatos Luxury Cars as they have two silver 2012 low mileage used V12V's currently on their lot: one with the carbon fiber package. Drive them both and their used (Toro Red!) 2012 manual V8V as well, and make your own decision!

Last edited by DonL; 01-09-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by DonL
You need to motor on down to Los Gatos Luxury Cars as they have two silver 2012 low mileage used V12V's currently on their lot: one with the carbon fiber package. Drive them both and their used (Toro Red!) 2012 manual V8V as well, and make your own decision!
I may just do that, but I'm going to put it off a bit. need to wait a few months, at least, before I can move forward, and I dont want to be agonizing over the wait

Old 01-09-2014, 03:50 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
I didn't drive the V12 because, in the end, it was too far a stretch for me budget-wise. That plus my V8S (manual) is a 2013 rather than a 2012 V12 that had already been RDR'd so it had one less year of warranty. The V8S is really all the car I need as the power is more than adequate… so much more so than my 2007 V8 Vantage. It also has the updated Garmin Nav and the back-up camera. Lots of carbon fiber and a very bespoke/unique/rare color combo BRG over Chestnut. No regrets. I agree with DBBLOW7 (who's a great guy BTW) that the V12 Vantage will hold onto its value much better than the V8S, that plus the sound of the V12.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:56 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by damen
I may just do that, but I'm going to put it off a bit. need to wait a few months, at least, before I can move forward, and I dont want to be agonizing over the wait
There may not be as good an opportunity to drive what you are interested in on the lot at the same time in the future. Used V12V's don't come on the market all that often in the Bay Area-I was surprised they have two at the moment-first I've seen here in a in a long time.
You can test drive now and anticipate, rather than agonize .

Old 01-09-2014, 04:11 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
This thread is KILLING me.

<sniff> 2007 Vantage. The 380HP one. <me

Old 01-09-2014, 06:29 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by b_gust99
... I really like the big meaty shifter too... although it's blazing hot in the summer sun.
Originally Posted by Racer_X
...and freezing cold in the winter.
1st world problems....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: thoughts on V8V S vs V12V?