Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Another reason why you should drive your Aston to work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 07:26 PM
JuanP is on a distinguished road
Another reason why you should drive your Aston to work

While I can only imagine the initial reaction to seeing the damage when he came home...

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/05/d...usaolp00000588

Old 02-05-2014, 07:43 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Um, someone help me out. That looks like a DB9, but that wheel arch looks like chewed fiber. Aren't the body panels aluminum?

Old 02-05-2014, 08:11 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by IbisRider
Um, someone help me out. That looks like a DB9, but that wheel arch looks like chewed fiber. Aren't the body panels aluminum?
Front wings and trunk on my 9 are SMC as far as I can tell. Doors are aluminum, rear quarter too I think although rear quarter could be steel? Now, where's my magnet?

Old 02-05-2014, 08:12 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Not the front wings, and not on the Vantage either.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:28 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Bonnet, roof, doors: aluminum.
Front wings, boot lid: composite.
Quarter panels: steel, magnesium.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:33 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Bonnet, roof, doors: aluminum.
Quarter panels: steel, magnesium.
Sorry for my stupid:
What's the difference between the wing and the quarter panel?
I know that the bumpers are "composite" but there is no other part line in what I would call the quarter panel.
So confused

Old 02-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
There are lots of different terms people use. Basically talking about the rear fender and above.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Racer_X
There are lots of different terms people use. Basically talking about the rear fender and above.
Ah crap, now I'm even more confused.

In the photo of the dog's Gaydon built chew toy, it is what I'd call the wheel arch in the front quater panel that has been gnawed to shreds. the car looks to be a DB9 based on the strake and body shape. I'm pretty sure that the (front) quarter panels on my Vantage are metal, aluminum I'd assumed but whatever. So based on that photo, I'd say that DB9 quarter panels are made of a light colored plastic/composite...or at least the wheel arch edge of the quarter panel.

How could the rear "fender" be anything but the same material as the roof, no part lines? Unless you mean the part of the rear wheel arch that is made by the bumper wrap around, or the the part of the side skirt?

Old 02-06-2014, 02:33 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Posted on PH earlier this week:

Old 02-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Not sure if diagram helps or....

Ok, so the rear wheel arches are steel. Got that.
What are the front body panels?

Old 02-06-2014, 05:34 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't we already answer that question up above? They are composite.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:21 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of

Here's a link to a better diagram of all the body panels: http://www.sae.org/dlymagazineimages/8295_9111_ACT.pdf

Old 02-07-2014, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Didn't we already answer that question up above? They are composite.
You did, but RacerX confused me with this:
"Bonnet, roof, doors: aluminum.
Quarter panels: steel, magnesium"

Old 02-07-2014, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by yvr
Here's a link to a better diagram of all the body panels: http://www.sae.org/dlymagazineimages/8295_9111_ACT.pdf
Aaaaahhh, now that's a descriptive diagram (when combined with the one above).

Thanks to all for indulging me and spreading some knowledge.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by yvr
Cool document. Never seen this one before.