Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Reality check....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 11:22 AM
tko211 is a jewel in the roughtko211 is a jewel in the roughtko211 is a jewel in the rough
It sounds like you are ready for a DB9. You get to keep all the lovely lines of an Aston, a more sporty feel than the Bentley, more room and more comfort than the Vantage. IT all equals DB9!

I agree with others that the Bentley is more of a status symbol daily driver. It's for typically older folks, and rappers who have moved beyond a Lexus or even Mercedes.
To me a Bentley says 1 of 3 things:

1. I want to be comfortable, feel special, as I drive home from the golf course and go home to take a mid-morning nap because I'm at that age where I have retired and my days are leisurely. I'm getting kinda old ya know. Honey can you make me an egg salad sandwich, an Ice tea and bring me my pills. I want some lunch before I nod off... ZZZZZZ

2. My latest album Gangsta Danger just went triple platinum, I'm in my 20's and I have more money than common sense. I need to get my Bentley and have it wrapped in metallic gold, slap on some 26" wheels, and take it down to the audio vehicle aftermarket guys to install a 56" flat screen, 24 speakers, 8 amps, 6 miles of cable, a mini bar and hot tub! Take that Jay Z! You know I be keepin it Real Yo.
Meanwhile Jay Z responds in kind by doing the same to his new Bugatti Veyron! Cuz what says MONEY more than a Bentley? A Veyron.

3. Dubai police commissioner- "Hey that's expensive! Lets get one and make it part of the police force!" - Get a Veyron too!

Last edited by tko211; 02-14-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:29 AM
nbrigdan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tko211
2. My latest album Gangsta Danger just went triple platinum, I'm in my 20's and I have more money than common sense. I need to get my Bentley and have it wrapped in metallic gold, slap on some 26" wheels, and take it down to the audio vehicle aftermarket guys to install a 56" flat screen, 24 speakers, 8 amps, 6 miles of cable, a mini bar and hot tub! Take that Jay Z! You know I be keepin it Real Yo.
Meanwhile Jay Z responds in kind by doing the same to his new Bugatti Veyron! Cuz what says MONEY more than a Bentley? A Veyron.
Just replace Bentley with almost all new Rolls and I 100% agree

Old 02-14-2014, 11:36 AM
GeorgeP is on a distinguished road
Hilarious.

I'm telling you though...you're poking a sleeping bear again. (It is his nap time)

You all have pretty well talked me into staying in the family. Just trying to decide which one.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by GeorgeP
Hilarious.

I'm telling you though...you're poking a sleeping bear again. (It is his nap time)

You all have pretty well talked me into staying in the family. Just trying to decide which one.
From what I've read, I think a DB9 or Virage is the car for you. Still handle as good as a GT car should, get tons of stares everywhere, and it's a lot more comfortable than the Vantage.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:51 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nbrigdan
From what I've read, I think a DB9 or Virage is the car for you. Still handle as good as a GT car should, get tons of stares everywhere, and it's a lot more comfortable than the Vantage.
Curious why you think it is "a lot more comfortable than a Vantage" when it has exactly the same seats, dash and center console? Unless you're talking about the suspension.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Curious why you think it is "a lot more comfortable than a Vantage" when it has exactly the same seats, dash and center console? Unless you're talking about the suspension.
100% Referring to the suspension.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:35 PM
tko211 is a jewel in the roughtko211 is a jewel in the roughtko211 is a jewel in the rough
Even the lines on the DB9 are softer than the Vantage.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:49 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tko211
Even the lines on the DB9 are softer than the Vantage.
Just the opposite. You need to look closer at the two, esp at the front.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:24 AM
I dunno, I still think the Vantage is crisper. I was at a British Car event this year and was next to a 2005 DB9. The DB is of course beautiful, at first glance it and the Vantage appear identical... (the way Porsches do). But I started to notice things that to my eye are softer on the DB9. Example: The front wing strakes are there but missing the pinched waist line that flows backwards across the doors as it does on the Vantage. Overall the doors on the DB9 are all together softer looking. The rear haunches a slightly less muscular than the Vantage. The Headlights treatments (particularly the amber turn signals) are softer in nature. The wasp waist also seems just a tad less pronounced. The added length is very obvious when they are side by side.

Don't misunderstand me, I realize it's splitting hairs on the differences as the Vantage owes all it's looks to the Bigger Brother DB. Both are world class executions of beauty in design. I just think the Vantage is the more youthful looking of the two.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:44 AM
Thanks again for all the input.

Everyone has brought a lot of food for thought to the table.

Unless something unforeseen occurs, I'm planning on making a trip to the Atlanta dealer on Monday.

They currently have a good selection of both models.

I'll let you know....

Old 02-15-2014, 10:53 PM
Now that I'm looking closer at the DB9's face it does have a bit more going on than the Vantage. Especially the lower chin area. The mouth is a slightly less pronounced but over all I'd say the styling on the face is a tad more aggressive than the Vantage... Interesting I hadn't noticed that before. I do still think the Vantage has tighter lines over the body. Toe-mato Ta-mato... Both are beautiful and nothing else comes close.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:59 AM
blue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really nice
I've just spent a good solid 30 minutes attempting to decide which has a more nefarious face -- the Vantage or the DB9. I think my conclusion is that the Vantage is trying to eat you whole, while the DB9 is going to spear you into pieces first.

My greatest summation of the two is that the Vantage S is a Porsche 911 with a suit, while the DB9 is a Bentley that actually uses its gym membership.

Excellent consumer advice, I know.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	db9face.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	334498   Click image for larger version

Name:	vantagesface.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	461.3 KB
ID:	334499  
Old 02-17-2014, 09:41 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I just talked to George on the phone and he is on his way to the dealer to drive some cars, what great time for him. I hope he gets the car of dreams and we can do a few road trips together.

As a parting note I would like to say I never came on the AM forum to convince George or any one else that the Bentley GT was a better car but only that it was a car George was interested in looking at and has its good points. I am not foolish enough to expect that you owners of AM would give up your love for that car and all buy Bentleys.

While most of the posters have supported George in staying with the AM brand in good gentleman like fashion some have not. Saying negative things about other brands can be accepted as honest opinions given but the demeaning characterization of the owners is another matter entirely. If such comments were jokes, that was not stipulated and therefore could be taken as literal insults. I will respect any decision George makes and only hopes that he loves his car. Good hunting buddy.

G'day.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:30 PM
After 7 hours of drive time (round trip) and two hours at the dealership, I'm going have to veg. out this evening.

I'll give you all my driving opinions tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay, but I'm brain dead.

I will say this....the dealership in Atlanta is awesome.

Very friendly. Not pretentious. Everyone was great.

They treated me like I was buying a new DBS.

I'll catch up with you guys tomorrow.

Have a great evening.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:02 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Nothing muddy about it. Time for the real thing, not the entry level model.
As far as it being the "Entry Level" that really misses the point of the car. It is not meant to be a cheap version of the DB9 (even though the both use the same counterfeit plastic). It is a much smaller car and IS the better car if you are looking for more sporting dynamics. This car was designed to compete with the 911 (though it is heavier than the Porsche). Its not quite as purposeful as the 911, but it is a very competent sports chassis. You would not cross shop a 911 with a Bentley. The Vantage is no different in that regard.

The DBS and DB9 are a totally different car (even though my V12 Vantage uses the drivetrain from the DBS). They are far larger cars, proper GT's. Even if their performance numbers are similar to a Vantage the way they feel while doing i is differnt, and frankly they were designed for different purposes.

The Bentely is a fantstic car too, but the wieght is kind of the point of them. They are for people who like that SOLID, BIG feeling. Its a fast car, but not in any way a sports car. I drove a GT Speed on the track at Mosport. It was fast, but heavy. I called it the worlds fastest waterbed. But on the streets, it would be amazing, like a low Range Rover with tiny rear seats

It sounds like you prefer luxury performance, rather than a more sporting car. The Bently would work as would the DB9, but I think the top end Bently's have some killer interiors and more useable rear seats.

Best of luck. No bad choices, just cars built for differnt reasons.

Last edited by black penguin; 02-17-2014 at 06:24 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Reality check....