Reality check....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 08:59 PM
GeorgeP is on a distinguished road
Reality check....

Need some serious help on this one...

Currently have a 2008 V8V Roadster.

Made a mistake of driving a Bentley Continental GT....

I was originally considering a newer model V8V till this random encounter occurred.

My history.. the Roadster I currently own is my first exotic. Words cannot describe when I pull into a nice rest. or hotel and people are taking pics. I am not a b@lls to the wall type of driver. I love the sound and the presence more than anything (oh yeah...the occasional sticking the curve around a mountain road is nice).

So here is my question to those of you with more experience with the exotics....

What are your driving impressions of the Aston vs a Bentley?

I realize these are two completely different automobiles but would appreciate any input.

At this point I am completely torn....

Old 02-11-2014, 09:28 PM
b_gust99 will become famous soon enough
They are 2 very different automobiles that shouldn't compete other than in price point. If you want to be coddled and isolated from the driving experience then the Bentley is for you. If you want steering feel, aural delights, and the ability to row your own gears, stick with the Vantage. I see the Continental as better suited for daily commutes than recreational weekend drives.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:12 AM
N91K is on a distinguished road
I don't own a Bentley but i've driven my cousin's Bentley Continental GT Speed, i couldn't compare it with my V8 Vantage in any way. The Bentley is more for older people it is less fun and more of a daily user! The Vantage is so fun, the sound, the ride, everything everything is so much better than my Bentley experience. I realize the Bentley is more expensive but it really doesn't matter, the feel of the Vantage is better in every aspect. I would suggest you test-drive the Bentley and decide for yourself but my vote would be stick with the Vantage believe me its the better choice! Good luck!

Old 02-12-2014, 07:19 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GeorgeP
Need some serious help on this one...

Currently have a 2008 V8V Roadster.

Made a mistake of driving a Bentley Continental GT....

I was originally considering a newer model V8V till this random encounter occurred.

My history.. the Roadster I currently own is my first exotic. Words cannot describe when I pull into a nice rest. or hotel and people are taking pics. I am not a b@lls to the wall type of driver. I love the sound and the presence more than anything (oh yeah...the occasional sticking the curve around a mountain road is nice).

So here is my question to those of you with more experience with the exotics....

What are your driving impressions of the Aston vs a Bentley?

I realize these are two completely different automobiles but would appreciate any input.

At this point I am completely torn....
Buy a DB9 Volante, not a Vantage, and you'll have the best of both worlds.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:47 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Buy a DB9 Volante, not a Vantage, and you'll have the best of both worlds.
Agreed.

If you like the way the Bentley drives, try a DB9. It's much closer to the Bentley than a Vantage is.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:19 AM
wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !
My Dad's on his second CGTC and he loves it. I drive it when we visit him in Florida, and as much as I appreciate the coachwork, I cannot get my head around how slow this 600+ HP car feels, its a tank, I actually prefer driving mothers 2012 Range Rover Supercharged over the Bentley. They weigh about the same.

I can't comment on a Vantage as the newest AM I've driven is a DB7 V12 Volante, and as retired Jaguar dealer, I drove an (XKR Coupe for a Demo) however when I comes to previous Astons, I never really "got it" other than the exclusivity and the prettiness of the DB's.

IF you are a person who likes a "driver's car" skip the Bent, try DB9 like the others said, try a Granturismo Spyder and a California for fun as well.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:29 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
To me the Bentley is just a revised, more up-scale Audi. I've driven the GT Speed and honestly even that felt like an old man's car. Perhaps you've moved on and want that in an automobile… To be honest though, I'm 58 going on 18 and simply don't have much in common with folks my age.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	332839  
Old 02-12-2014, 08:35 AM
wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AXARUNNER
To me the Bentley is just a revised, more up-scale Audi. I've driven the GT Speed and honestly even that felt like an old man's car. Perhaps you've moved on and want that in an automobile… To be honest though, I'm 58 going on 18 and simply don't have much in common with folks my age.

Actually a VW right? A rebodied Phaeton. My dad is a long time british car car and had no Idea that it was a VWAG car until I showed him the VW branded parts under the hood.

Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent car, But not for everyone ( and not meant to be for everyone either )

Old 02-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Thanks guys.

I really appreciate the honest banter.

I must admit I still turn around and give my V8V a second glance before closing the garage door.

The only thing (other than TPMS and other eccentricities...) is the lack of luggage room in the Roadster.

I am also looking at a 2010 V8V coupe in quantum.

I'll also look around for a DB.

Thanks again.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:20 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
My guess is that we really want to keep you in the AM family as there are too few of us that are remaining loyal to the brand.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:29 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
The rear seats in a DB9 could alleviate the trunk space concern.

Originally Posted by AXARUNNER
My guess is that we really want to keep you in the AM family as there are too few of us that are remaining loyal to the brand.
To be fair, we have some great members that have moved from AM to other brands for various reasons. I've been looking around at various cars and none are an Aston. What they have in common: A dual-clutch gearbox. I'm not trying to rehash the debate, but, it's a reason for people leaving the brand. Sure, people will come back, but it isn't their fault they've moved on if AM can't supply them with something that fits their needs.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:38 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
George did come over to drive my modified GTC and we had a great time driving each others cars. As he described his dilemma with the V8V needing more space for touring I did say the Bentley would fit that bill.

As to the performance and sound of the cars I have to admit i love the look and sound of the Vantage but with the ECU and exhaust mods I have done the "B" is quite the aural delight. I agree that the cars are barely comparable but both are fine exotic cars. It always stings a bit when we hear the "it's a VW" comment and honestly there is a lot of parts sharing going on these days. I mean a RR Ghost is really a BMW 7 series right?

George you should look at the DB9 if you want to stay with AM, that is much more your style car anyways. I say buy what ever car you just can't get out of your head. I hope you do get the DB9 so we can drive each others cars and I get to enjoy the AM.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
George did come over to drive my modified GTC and we had a great time driving each others cars. As he described his dilemma with the V8V needing more space for touring I did say the Bentley would fit that bill.

As to the performance and sound of the cars I have to admit i love the look and sound of the Vantage but with the ECU and exhaust mods I have done the "B" is quite the aural delight. I agree that the cars are barely comparable but both are fine exotic cars. It always stings a bit when we hear the "it's a VW" comment and honestly there is a lot of parts sharing going on these days. I mean a RR Ghost is really a BMW 7 series right?

George you should look at the DB9 if you want to stay with AM, that is much more your style car anyways. I say buy what ever car you just can't get out of your head. I hope you do get the DB9 so we can drive each others cars and I get to enjoy the AM.
Boys....

We've poked a sleeping bear.

How goes it "old man?"

On a serious note, I really appreciate everyone's input.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:54 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by GeorgeP
Boys....

We've poked a sleeping bear.

How goes it "old man?"

On a serious note, I really appreciate everyone's input.
I am 54 how old are you? Which one of us is more likely to drive like an old geezer?

Full disclosure calls for me to tell you that after doing the mods to the Bentley the salesman(Mehdi) told me I was trying to make the GT into something that it was not and I might should have bought the DB9. I wish I had both. Well if i have the Gt I'd top for the V12V as second more sporty car.

I do drive my car as a DD quite a bit and have put over 20K on it in less that two years. Truthfully I am more often just driving back and forth on regular streets and not racing and sport driving.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:09 PM
Alight. Alright.

You all have convinced me.

Now let me muddy the water once again.

Found a very nice '10 V8V coupe and also ran across a few '09 DB9s.

Thoughts?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Reality check....