Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Reality check....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 04:34 PM
GeorgeP is on a distinguished road
Thanks b p.

Alright. I'm going to try and summarize my visit yesterday.

As I stated before...super nice dealership, super nice people.

I suppose I need to start at the beginning (don't worry...won't go back too far).

As I stated before this is my first exotic.

Here are the reasons I am in the market for something else....

I love my Vantage but this car scares the crap out of me. What I mean is that although the car had a clean carfax when I purchased, it was not serviced at an AM approved dealership. There are no service records. I'm always concerned that I will take off and not make it back. Long story short, I would like to purchase a car that I know it's history.

I would like to move to a coupe of some kind to improve our luggage capacity. If I'm taking the Vantage to a destination weekend, etc., we like to pack accordingly, suit, tux, etc.

Owning a carbon black car is a bit of a challenge as well. It almost seems like you could scratch her by breathing too hard. I believe a silver (quantum or similar) would be easier to maintain.

Now with all this said, to reiterate, I'm not a b@lls to the wall type of driver. I appreciate the sound and the presence of the car more than anything.

I drove two cars yesterday:

2009 V8V coupe in quantum with gray interior. This car was perfect. One owner, low miles (6K). Sport package. Excellent condition. Good price. I could feel a noticeable power difference from my '08. This car was probably the most practical but just didn't grab me (color combination wise).

Second car - 2012 DB9. I'll go ahead and say it...totally out of my price range but wanted to try a DB9 for reference. I was totally impressed. The power, the smoothness of shifting, the comfort. Total package.

I apologize for this long entry but wanted to give you all an idea of what happened.

To be honest, I may be more confused than ever.

If you want my knee jerk, I don't think I could go wrong with either model.

To stay in budget, I'm probably looking at either a '10 model Vantage or a '09 DB9. Might be able to stretch it up to a '10 DB if the right car came along.

I think the starting point for me would be something that "popped" when I saw it. I don't mean necessarily loud. Just a little edge to it.

I'll pipe down and let you professionals take over.

Any advice is appreciated.

I do apologize for the rambling....I'm still brain dead.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:10 PM
tko211 is a jewel in the roughtko211 is a jewel in the roughtko211 is a jewel in the rough
Well with all you outlined I tend to think a DB9 in your price range is the way to go. Room wise you will have more space, the car is beautiful, it will be a little different and new experience from Vantage ownership. A logical next step I think.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:58 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Well, that '09 Vantage is a good car at a good price but I agree, the colors just don't inspire. I really want to upgrade and that is a near perfect fit for what I want, but it just feels dull and monochromatic. Some red stitching, red calipers, dark wheels...

As for your quest, yeah, I think you should DB. Keep in mind that your maintenance bill will increase but not by a huge amount.

If I keep waiting on my upgrade, I'll probably DB also.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by IbisRider
Well, that '09 Vantage is a good car at a good price but I agree, the colors just don't inspire. I really want to upgrade and that is a near perfect fit for what I want, but it just feels dull and monochromatic. Some red stitching, red calipers, dark wheels...

As for your quest, yeah, I think you should DB. Keep in mind that your maintenance bill will increase but not by a huge amount.

If I keep waiting on my upgrade, I'll probably DB also.
In total agreement.....

The guys at the dealership did have some good ideas for making the car "more special." They did mention painting the calipers, maybe some mats with some type of red stitching (just what you were saying). Still the interior is kind of drab for my taste.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to take a beating on this trade so I'm going to wait till the one that grabs me comes along.

Hey look at it this way....we already own awesome pieces of art. Why rush?

With all this said there is an awesome '10 DB9 in Chicago. I believe if it were quantum or a similar color, I would be stretching the budget.

Thanks for all the input and ideas.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:45 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
[QUOTE

With all this said there is an awesome '10 DB9 in Chicago. I believe if it were quantum or a similar color, I would be stretching the budget.

Thanks for all the input and ideas.[/QUOTE]

Stretch… Go for it. You will have regrets if you don't. The added expense will simply make you work that much harder which means that you 'll be making more money which means it won't be a stretch after all. Just my simple logic. Quantum is a magical color for Aston Martins IMO.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:02 PM
The DB in Chicago is actually black. Beautiful car but one reason I'm wanting to change is my Carbon Black Vantage is a pain to maintain and keep clean.

I believe the quantum (or similar) color would be a great look plus easier to keep it up to snuff.

If the one in Chicago was quantum I believe stretching of the budget would be in order.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:15 PM
Christiaan0922 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GeorgeP
Thanks b p.

Alright. I'm going to try and summarize my visit yesterday.

As I stated before...super nice dealership, super nice people.

I suppose I need to start at the beginning (don't worry...won't go back too far).

As I stated before this is my first exotic.

Here are the reasons I am in the market for something else....

I love my Vantage but this car scares the crap out of me. What I mean is that although the car had a clean carfax when I purchased, it was not serviced at an AM approved dealership. There are no service records. I'm always concerned that I will take off and not make it back. Long story short, I would like to purchase a car that I know it's history.

I would like to move to a coupe of some kind to improve our luggage capacity. If I'm taking the Vantage to a destination weekend, etc., we like to pack accordingly, suit, tux, etc.

Owning a carbon black car is a bit of a challenge as well. It almost seems like you could scratch her by breathing too hard. I believe a silver (quantum or similar) would be easier to maintain.

Now with all this said, to reiterate, I'm not a b@lls to the wall type of driver. I appreciate the sound and the presence of the car more than anything.

I drove two cars yesterday:

2009 V8V coupe in quantum with gray interior. This car was perfect. One owner, low miles (6K). Sport package. Excellent condition. Good price. I could feel a noticeable power difference from my '08. This car was probably the most practical but just didn't grab me (color combination wise).

Second car - 2012 DB9. I'll go ahead and say it...totally out of my price range but wanted to try a DB9 for reference. I was totally impressed. The power, the smoothness of shifting, the comfort. Total package.

I apologize for this long entry but wanted to give you all an idea of what happened.

To be honest, I may be more confused than ever.

If you want my knee jerk, I don't think I could go wrong with either model.

To stay in budget, I'm probably looking at either a '10 model Vantage or a '09 DB9. Might be able to stretch it up to a '10 DB if the right car came along.

I think the starting point for me would be something that "popped" when I saw it. I don't mean necessarily loud. Just a little edge to it.

I'll pipe down and let you professionals take over.

Any advice is appreciated.

I do apologize for the rambling....I'm still brain dead.
Relax...Have fun with your search George! That elusive color combination, 6 speed manual gearbox, sportspack DB9, just hasn't crossed your path yet. The right combination of options may not be known to you yet either. Whatever it takes to get out enjoying those beautifully scenic back roads is key! I still really enjoy seeing the beautiful lines and stance of my DB9 and love the wonderful sensory feedback I get while driving. The other makes I've considered were all fantastic cars and would have offered different benefits but I couldn't be happier with my choice of DB9. I'm always delighted to find myself out on some scenic drive instead of at my desk. The McLaren or Audi R8 would most likely have prompted me to drive more recklessly way beyond my abilities. The Bentley is a wonderful car I really like as well but economics and practicality demand I don't own both at the same time. Good luck.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:15 AM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
Good luck with your search. Sounds like a DB9 would be a great fit. Enjoy the experience!

Old 03-18-2014, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I have found what is possibly the perfect DB9 for me.

I was going to wait and post when I had more information but you guys have prompted me to go ahead and respond.

So here's where I'm at...as a reminder the closest dealer is in Atlanta (about a four hour drive).

My V8B is going to be hauled down this Thursday for an inspection by the Atlanta dealer. After that they will be able to give me some firmer figures in regards to a trade. If we do not come to terms I will have her serviced and the TPMS reset (stupid crap....).

Fortunately the salesman at the dealership has a long standing relationship with the dealer who has the DB9. According to the carrying dealer, the car is in impeccable shape.

If we can reach an agreement we will contract for a PPI and see how it goes.

I should know something by the end of the week.

Once again, thanks to each of you for your input. I truly value your opinions and expertise.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:25 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
What colors? Interior?

Old 03-19-2014, 12:13 PM
Sorry big brother. I forgot my manners...

The car is a 2009 DB9, Tungsten Silver exterior, Obsidian black interior, Falcon grey stitching.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:07 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Ooh yeh dat is your color.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:30 AM
The deal is done!!!!

Sorry for the delay in posting. I picked her up on a Saturday and left town with my family for a two week vacation.

Also everything happened pretty quick. Found the DB in Cali, made the deal, had her shipped to GA, arrived on a Thursday, had her inspected, installed clear bra then picked her up on a Saturday.

To refresh we traded in my 08 Roadster for an 09 DB9 coupe. Tungsten Silver w/ Obsidian Black int.

I took a beating on trade but believe in the long run, I made the correct decision.

As Henry said in Good Fellas, "everyone takes a beating sometime."

She is absolutely stunning and almost perfect.

I truly believe this is correct car for me. I loved my Vantage but this one fits "my bill" more suitably.

I truly thank everyone for their input. It made my decision a lot easier.

Having a forum such as this as a resource is very helpful.

Thanks again.

BTW....a plug....if anyone is looking to purchase an exotic check out Motor Cars of Georgia. Ask for Bart. Great guy to work with. Not pushy. Very helpful. He even took the time to take a couple of friends for a ride in a Mclaren while we waited on some finishing touches to the car.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:36 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Pictures!

Old 04-27-2014, 08:21 AM
I'm definitely no shutterbug, but will work on it over the next couple of days.

The least I can do is change my avatar now.

Off to church.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Reality check....