Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

QuickSilver SuperSport vs. Velocity AP Sport Exhausts: Vantage 4.3 V8

Old 02-26-2014, 08:21 PM
BrentCobb has a spectacular aura aboutBrentCobb has a spectacular aura aboutBrentCobb has a spectacular aura about
QuickSilver SuperSport vs. Velocity AP Sport Exhausts: Vantage 4.3 V8

Does anyone have any information regarding direct comparisons between the QuickSilver "SuperSport" (mid sound level) and Velocity AP "Sport" (also mid sound level) exhausts - specific to Vantage 4.3L V8? Comparisons on sound levels, sound quality, build quality, subjective opinions? Thank you!

Old 02-27-2014, 09:16 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BrentCobb
Does anyone have any information regarding direct comparisons between the QuickSilver "SuperSport" (mid sound level) and Velocity AP "Sport" (also mid sound level) exhausts - specific to Vantage 4.3L V8? Comparisons on sound levels, sound quality, build quality, subjective opinions? Thank you!
Hi Brent,

I won't chime in on quality or subjective opinions, but I can give you some detail on sound level. The sound level is primarily determined by the amount of perforated tube in the pipes running through the silencer. To the best of my knowledge, Quicksilver has:

Sport: 6"
Supersport: 2"
Supersport Plus: 0"

Velocity has:
Touring: 6"
Sport: 4.5"
Supersport: 3"

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 02-27-2014, 10:06 AM
BrentCobb has a spectacular aura aboutBrentCobb has a spectacular aura aboutBrentCobb has a spectacular aura about
Thanks Stuart - I was hoping you'd chime in.

I was really hoping the QS-SS was the same volume/tone as VAP-Sport. I previously had a 2007 AMV8 with the QS-SS and RSC 200c cats. Absolutely loved the sound. Sold the car and exhaust.

A year later, I'm again in another 2007 AMV8 and just bought a "slightly used" (200 mi) VAP-"Sport" exhaust - couldn't pass up the deal and saved lots of $ over a new QS-SS. Awesome deal but hope it isn't too quiet for my taste. I know the addition of 200c cats could further help in that area.

It arrives tomorrow and will be in by dinnertime. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for your input!

Old 02-27-2014, 10:17 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BrentCobb
Thanks Stuart - I was hoping you'd chime in.

I was really hoping the QS-SS was the same volume/tone as VAP-Sport. I previously had a 2007 AMV8 with the QS-SS and RSC 200c cats. Absolutely loved the sound. Sold the car and exhaust.

A year later, I'm again in another 2007 AMV8 and just bought a "slightly used" (200 mi) VAP-"Sport" exhaust - couldn't pass up the deal and saved lots of $ over a new QS-SS. Awesome deal but hope it isn't too quiet for my taste. I know the addition of 200c cats could further help in that area.

It arrives tomorrow and will be in by dinnertime. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for your input!
No problem, I was trying to make sure I didn't come in with a bunch of biased info when you were looking for independent feedback!

It isn't super-raucous, but it is noticeably louder than the OEM exhaust. Even our Touring sound level is louder than OEM, although not by a great deal. 200 cell catalysts will definitely crank up the volume. I think if you paired these with the Velocity AP Sport exhaust you have, it wouldn't be far off your old setup. Similar enough that you probably wouldn't notice the difference all that much unless you put them back to back.

Let me know if you want some, I'm sure we could throw some filters in the box, maybe a programmer and make the most of the shipping cost!

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 02-27-2014, 10:27 AM
Thanks again Stuart - definitely interested in the 200c cats soon. We'll see how the VAP-Sport exhaust sounds and go from there. Looks like a pretty solid unit! Will be in touch...

Old 02-27-2014, 01:55 PM
STILCARS will become famous soon enough
Hello from Spain.

My Aston Martin V8 Vantage & Quicksilver Supersport plus!

0:27 Seconds my Aston. Love this sound!

Old 03-01-2014, 07:45 AM
Received the Velocity AP "Sport exhaust" 7PM yesterday evening and had it running in the car by 10PM.

FYI:
Build quality is great - every bit as nice as the QuickSilver. Definitely a A+ product.

As for the sound, the "mid level" (Sport) Velocity AP exhaust is definitely quieter than the "mid level" SuperSport exhaust from QuickSilver (as I predicted from Stuart's exhaust build info above). It does have a good tone to it - not raspy or obnoxious in any way. It seems just a little bit louder than OEM with a richer tone. All subjective of course. I need to find a tunnel or underpass to truly test. Ha.

Personally, I would have preferred the loudest "SuperSport" from Velocity AP - I like it a bit "louder". Just couldn't pass up the deal on this particular one...slightly used off a project car. I think adding 200 cell cats may bring it to the level I need. I'll be looking out for a killer deal on a pair. If you have some you want to sell, PM me...

While the car was up, also replaced the alarm sounder unit to remove a "alarm service required" message on the dash and also replaced the coolant thermostat w/coolant (coolant gauge would not go past 2nd tick up and threw P0128 coolant thermostat code). Late night, but I really enjoy working on this car. Slept well knowing the amount of $,$$$ saved not going to the dealer!

Last edited by BrentCobb; 03-01-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:30 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
The 200 cell cats will really make a difference and then you'll have the sound you're looking for. That and burble & pops and of course snarls... Intoxicating.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:33 PM
Joel Newman is on a distinguished road
QuickSilver system sounds fantastic, can't speak for your Velocity set-up but would be interested to hear a comparison vid.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:52 PM
I did install the VelocityAP 200c cats after the VelocityAP "sport" exhaust. It was the cat set up that REALLY made the difference in sound to me. I really like the VAP sport with the 200c cats and wouldn't really consider switching out to Quicksilver at this point. Just as good sounding as I remember on my previous vantage...and 20 more HP with the cats to boot.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:01 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
José Antonio, Maybe I'm biased, but I have to say that of all the dozens of cars in the second video, yours definitely sounds the best to me.
Saludos.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:16 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Here's a video with me in it for a brief moment, at the 6:55 mark (vid should start there)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvoVm9LQgAg#t=416

Here's a longer video with a close-up shot, using a GoPro's internal mic
http://s65.photobucket.com/user/telu...oRear.mp4.html

Old 05-02-2014, 10:44 AM
Joel Newman is on a distinguished road
great noise, well done for posting those and making your car sound like a swarm of angry bees - perfect!

Old 05-13-2022, 11:50 AM
Christian Cameron will become famous soon enough
Apologies to resurrect an old thread, but I wanted to ask about the x-piping in the VAP mufflers and how that affects the sound compared to an x-pipe in the mid-pipe section. I've been on the fence about an x-pipe -- on the one hand I would prefer a little smoother more exotic tone, but from clips it seems sometimes that it changes the tone a little too much and loses some growl. But having some X-piping in the rear muffler section, from what I can tell from clips online, seems to make the tone a little smoother, but because the cross section is much further back than the mid-pipe, it's much more subtle, and retains a lot of the raw growl. Is that a fair assessment of what's going on?

Also, just to confirm, does quicksilver also have the same kind of x-piping in their backbox as VAP mufflers? I'm assuming the design is similar so essentially they produce the same kind of tone (at least from what I can tell from clips online), just differences in volume depending on the model?

Last edited by Christian Cameron; 05-13-2022 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-14-2022, 03:56 PM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
I have a Fabspeed X pipe in front of my Quicksilver SS. You are correct on the tone and raw growl. A while back I started it up in the breezeway of Orlando AM. It got the attention of the Aston tech who said it sounded like a one77. It's distinct for sure!