Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New Intake Filters AMV8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 07:42 PM
ArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the rough
New Intake Filters AMV8

Installed some new filters on my AM V8 today while replacing my headlight pods(Drivers side signal wouldn't work, PS white LED's out). While disassembling the fenderliner and getting to the head light I noticed that the drivers side airbox was mangled. It was partially crushed and broken, and all of the locking tabs on the MAF hose were broken too, so the airbox was just hanging on the MAF tube. I removed the airboxes and installed the filters on the flange on the MAF tube. I had the filters left over from my 300ZXTT and they fit perfectly. I installed the headlights and filters and started the car. I didn't notice any change in sound or noticeable performance difference, but I will be dyno'ing the car soon while changing ECU tunes. I just recently did a baseline completely stock so I will run a couple of pulls to see if there is any measurable differences. I will post results.
Art

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AM TwinIntake.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	343978   Click image for larger version

Name:	AM Twinintake2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	343979  
Old 03-09-2014, 09:22 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
2 comments:
1) If you remove the airbox, how is air going to get into the filters? The intake pipe starts in the center behind the grille and splits in two where it feeds the air into each filter. The compartment underneath the headlamp pod where the airbox is located is mostly sealed once the you put the wheel liners back on. Without the airbox I would suspect the air would have a harder time finding its way into the engine.

2) Are you concerned about sucking up water directly since you no longer have any kind of airbox to shield the filter? I know yours was already broken (why), but the filters sit pretty close to the pavement and I'd be worried about hydro-lock when driving over puddles.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:37 PM
ArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the rough
The airboxes are fed by a plastic feed pipe that comes from the front grill opening, so there will be no shortage of air to the filters. And let me assure you that the space is not airtight, if it were, then I wouldnt worry about any water getting sucked into the filter. The air filters now sit about 6 inches higher than the plastic inlet pipe that feeds the air to the original airbox. Why my airbox was broken, I don't know, but it appears that there has been a tire blowout prior to my ownership, as there is some melted plastic on the fenderliner on the drivers side and so I assume that the tire piece cause the damage. I am not one to drive through puddles in my Aston, so I am not worried about hydrolock. The filter has plenty of protection from any spray of water that I mighy encounter even in a moderate rain storm. I drove my 300ZXTT with these filters fully exposed for almost two years and several trips in excess of 2000 miles with no issues. I am very cognizant of where I am driving and what conditions I am driving in. Perhaps a "normal" person might not pay enough attention to these things, but I am extremely vigilant when driving my AM. If you guys don't like the idea, feel free to not do this, however I know some may be interested and wanted to post my results and let folks know that it is possible. Try at your own risk. . Additionally, I am keeping the original airbox and have ordered a replacement to keep should I decide to sell this car down the road.
Art