Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

SS Clutch death stories / how do they die?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 12:32 AM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
SS Clutch death stories / how do they die?

Hi guys,

According to the dealer that did my PPI, the clutch on my SportShift Vantage is on its last leg. He said when a clutch in a SS goes, the car just won't start anymore. In short, I could just stop for gas in the middle of nowhere and could be unable to start the car...

Is this really like this? Are there no signs on clutch wear in SS cars?

If you have or had a SS Vantage and your clutch died, how did it happen? Interested in knowing...

Old 03-12-2014, 12:06 PM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
Yes this is true. We can now read the clutch position and determine the life left on the clutch. Once the clutch reaches its full travel or life, it will not be able to put the car in to neutral to start. The only real sign is clutch slip and or long shift times.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by AMFixer
Yes this is true. We can now read the clutch position and determine the life left on the clutch. Once the clutch reaches its full travel or life, it will not be able to put the car in to neutral to start. The only real sign is clutch slip and or long shift times.
How can you tell clutch slip / long shift times in a SS?

Coming from an M3 with DCT all shifts seem long...

Old 03-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
When it starts to go you do feel it periodically take its time shifting or not shifting smoothly (tough to describe). It can do this for quite a while before it goes, but when it does go, it goes directly from that to can't shift/stuck in first gear with no other signs in-between.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:48 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
The dealer can "estimate" wear on ASM boxes using thier software to see where the kiss & bite points are (can't be done on manuals)

Have a look here for A LOT more info

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...ntage+clutches!

Old 03-13-2014, 06:55 AM
rbobby is on a distinguished road
Great. I am taking the car on a 1000+ mile tour next month and now I am officially paranoid about getting stranded in the mountains. ASM1 13k miles.
Incidentally, at my recent dealer service, I asked if they can estimate my clutch life, was told no... I don't believe them anymore.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:58 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
As I mentioned, there are usually some signs before it goes. Its just that if you have never experienced them, you don't realize it until its too late. If the shifts are smooth even under heavy acceleration and there nothing else that hints of any issue, you should be OK. You just can't worry about it.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:34 PM
Well, I can't seem to shift from 1st to 2nd unless the revs are mid-low. I wonder if this is normal in SS.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:31 PM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Bleen
Well, I can't seem to shift from 1st to 2nd unless the revs are mid-low. I wonder if this is normal in SS.
Yea first sign...it's not normal for them to do this.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by rbobby
Great. I am taking the car on a 1000+ mile tour next month and now I am officially paranoid about getting stranded in the mountains. ASM1 13k miles.
Incidentally, at my recent dealer service, I asked if they can estimate my clutch life, was told no... I don't believe them anymore.
They might not know how.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:40 AM
blue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really nice
Originally Posted by rbobby
So give yourself some peace of mind and have the clutch replaced before you go. Especially since you said the person who did your PPI said it was on its last leg. No sense bringing the wrong kind of baggage to a vacation.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by blue_skies
So give yourself some peace of mind and have the clutch replaced before you go. Especially since you said the person who did your PPI said it was on its last leg. No sense bringing the wrong kind of baggage to a vacation.
Lol I think you're confusing users
I'm not taking my Vantage on vacation anytime soon.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:17 AM
blue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really nice
Lol I think you're confusing users
I'm not taking my Vantage on vacation anytime soon.
Oops, I meant to quote rbobby on the vacation part. Back to my cave I go.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:23 PM
Keeping on with the thread...

My clutch died (and resuscitated) today.

Came back from a 2 day roadtrip with another car. Tried to start the Aston and it just wouldn't. Finally it said Gearbox fault.

I needed to move the car no matter what so I tried around 5 or 6 times and finally it started. I drove it 10 miles or so. When I stopped the car, I turned it off and restarted it 2 or 3 times, all of them flawlessly.

I wonder if I should even drive the car any more until I can get a new clutch fitted...

I find it a bit of a let down that this car is not even 26k miles and I already have to replace the clutch. I thought when I bought it I'd like to keep it forever but now really thinking about letting it go in a couple of years. Mind you I haven't even had the car for a month...

Old 03-17-2014, 07:54 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Keeping on with the thread...

My clutch died (and resuscitated) today.

Came back from a 2 day roadtrip with another car. Tried to start the Aston and it just wouldn't. Finally it said Gearbox fault.

I needed to move the car no matter what so I tried around 5 or 6 times and finally it started. I drove it 10 miles or so. When I stopped the car, I turned it off and restarted it 2 or 3 times, all of them flawlessly.

I wonder if I should even drive the car any more until I can get a new clutch fitted...

I find it a bit of a let down that this car is not even 26k miles and I already have to replace the clutch. I thought when I bought it I'd like to keep it forever but now really thinking about letting it go in a couple of years. Mind you I haven't even had the car for a month...

26K miles on a SS doesn't sound all that bad, based on stories you read here and on PH.

There's a tremendous variability, similar to what you'd expect if there was a person controlling the clutch...some use 'em up fast and for some they last forever.

Personally, if I wanted a manual, it's be a regular old stick. They may not last any longer than SS, but at least you don't get these intermittent issues like starting or no gear found, etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SS Clutch death stories / how do they die?