Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

interested in a DB9.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 11:17 AM
theegolden1 is on a distinguished road
interested in a DB9.

Hello all! My very first post, so here it goes......

I currently own 4 cars. I'm planning on "upgrading". For the past year I've been looking at AM, maserati, and bentley. Finally came across an '06 DB9 conv with less than 35,000 miles. This will probably be the replacement for my bimmer. Points to consider on my BMW use that will follow with the possible DB9 purchase:

1. It won't be a daily driver. It'll be lucky to get 5K in a year.
2. It will never be driven in the rain.
3. More than likely, if I can't drive it with the top down because of "weather" conditions, I won't drive it.
4. I have decent knowledge on working on cars.

With that said, is there anything I should be cautious about with the possible purchase? Or should I just go for it? I test drove it yesterday.............VERY NICE CAR!!! Any thoughts/advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-29-2014, 02:06 PM
And I just found out it was the feature car at the Detroit Auto Show for the 2006 model!

Old 03-29-2014, 02:50 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by theegolden1
And I just found out it was the feature car at the Detroit Auto Show for the 2006 model!

Is it a sky blue?

Old 03-29-2014, 03:04 PM
Yes, it's sky blue!

Old 03-29-2014, 05:18 PM
Aerome is on a distinguished road
Great choice. Suggest you get the book "Definitive Buyer's Guides - Aston Martin". Amazon should have it listed. Lots to know about the various years and what to expect.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:48 PM
rscultho is on a distinguished road
Hello all! My very first post, so here it goes......

I currently own 4 cars. I'm planning on "upgrading". For the past year I've been looking at AM, maserati, and bentley. Finally came across an '06 DB9 conv with less than 35,000 miles. This will probably be the replacement for my bimmer. Points to consider on my BMW use that will follow with the possible DB9 purchase:

1. It won't be a daily driver. It'll be lucky to get 5K in a year.
2. It will never be driven in the rain.
3. More than likely, if I can't drive it with the top down because of "weather" conditions, I won't drive it.
4. I have decent knowledge on working on cars.

With that said, is there anything I should be cautious about with the possible purchase? Or should I just go for it? I test drove it yesterday.............VERY NICE CAR!!! Any thoughts/advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I just got my first AM 3 days ago.

If you know you want it you should just do it.

The 06 should be a reliable car. As long as you maintain it properly it should be a great car for you!

The book listed/referenced above is definitely a great resource to learn about the car.

Good luck!

Old 03-31-2014, 06:31 AM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Cool and good luck, these are great cars! Mine has been dead reliable so far other than a few upgrades that were typical with 05 model year. I don't know if the 06 model year is affected by this, but look for leaks by the transmission cooler -- you can shine a flash light in the lower grill at the connection and if its wet more than likely you are leaking. Also the grease the AM used on the NAV motor gear causes a chemical reaction and starts to breakdown the plastic gear. So if you come across a DB9 without a working flip up NAV display more than likely this is the problem.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:33 AM
Thank you all for your advice and well wishes. I will probably be picking her up today!

Old 03-31-2014, 08:05 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, it's sky blue!
I almost bought that car back in 2009 from a Florida exotic car dealer, but before I could make up my mind it was sold.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
I almost bought that car back in 2009 from a Florida exotic car dealer, but before I could make up my mind it was sold.
Wow!!! Small world!

Old 03-31-2014, 11:08 AM
WildBob has a spectacular aura aboutWildBob has a spectacular aura about
Wow!!! Small world!
I bought an '06 Volante almost 6 months ago (in Sacramento) with 41K miles for $52K and have put 7K+ reliable miles on her. The top is down often!

One thing to watch for are blown dampers (shocks to we Yanks)...which makes the car pitch and pogo over bumps... I've replaced mine with Sport Pack Dampers and H&R springs which are considerably stiffer, but you can get good used newer standard ones from Aston Martin Bits for about 1/2 of new. Install and alignment was $600.

I am guessing this car will be a Sunday driver for you based on your stable...and I can tell you from experience this car will get you lots of attention...especially with the top down!

ENJOY!

Last edited by WildBob; 03-31-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Well.........I got her!!! Super excited! It's raining, so I can't enjoy her yet
Thank you all for your help!

Old 04-01-2014, 10:16 AM
ced357 is on a distinguished road
Congrats, now lets see some pics!!

Old 04-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by ced357
Congrats, now lets see some pics!!
Thanks!
Once the weather clears, I'll provide them!