Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2015 V8 Vantage GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 04:48 PM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
If I'm the first owner I don't mind the depreciation because I would have been able to configure it exactly the way I wanted, and I would probably keep it forever anyway

Old 04-16-2014, 04:57 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
There is a value to speccing out the car. For me, that value is less than the $20k+ in depreciation. While I like to think I will keep a new car forever, the reality is I'll get the itch for something else in 2-3 years.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:08 PM
MyCorvette is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Actually I think this price is just OK for this car, because its platform and technologies used are very old. What the Vantage GT uses currently is basically what Ford left to them when Ford still owned the brand many years ago. Here is an interesting article discussing more details of the Aston Martin.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:37 PM
V12V will become famous soon enough
Hmm. It looks like a loaded GT is around $130k. Makes a used V12 V at $150 look very good. The only real downside I see is for those who bought a new Vantage in the last year. Aston has thrown them under the proverbial bus to try and sell a few more cars to keep the wolves at bay. This is nothing more than a stopgap measure to keep sales and interest in the brand until the AMG Astons's debut. As far as Aston is concerned it's just business. We can't take it personal. Or can we?

Old 04-16-2014, 10:40 PM
gooner is on a distinguished road
So as someone who has been looking at buying a vantage - this is just what i wanted - was looking at used ones at around 90K mark but this is perfect - i have a GT3RS but want something as a daily driver and the aston being both rare and special - ticks those boxes. I also did look at the used V12, but at this price for me it works with no graphics and minimal options.
Will be putting in my order soon and if astons goal was to get people on the brand like me (always been a porsche guy ) this is just the ticket,
Now i need to decide color !!!!

Old 04-17-2014, 06:16 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by telum01
DBR9 was a different episode. The N400 one was a road trip, along with a GT3RS and Gallardo Superleggera.

I was saying to buy a V8VGT because the discussion veered to AM offering a streetable track car. If people want a factory-built option, they won't be buying used.
I stand corrected

Old 04-17-2014, 07:09 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gooner
So as someone who has been looking at buying a vantage - this is just what i wanted - was looking at used ones at around 90K mark but this is perfect - i have a GT3RS but want something as a daily driver and the aston being both rare and special - ticks those boxes. I also did look at the used V12, but at this price for me it works with no graphics and minimal options.
Will be putting in my order soon and if astons goal was to get people on the brand like me (always been a porsche guy ) this is just the ticket,
Now i need to decide color !!!!
Good to hear! It's a sign Aston's new realignment of the Vantage is working!

Originally Posted by RossL
I stand corrected
If you haven't seen the N400 episode, it's a pretty good one!

Old 04-17-2014, 12:17 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by RossL
I believe James May was driving a DBR-9.
Nope it was an N24 which was a race car BUT a few did get road registered, it wasn't an N400 which is actually a Ltd version 4.3 Vantage

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/aston-m...on-martin-n400

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Aston_Martin-V8_Vantage_N24_2007_1024x768_wallpaper_04.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	361333  

Last edited by mikey k; 04-17-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:37 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikey k
Nope it was an N24 which was a race car BUT a few did get road registered, it wasn't an N400 which is actually a Ltd version 4.3 Vantage

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/aston-m...on-martin-n400
Ah ha! N24! Thanks

Old 04-17-2014, 01:04 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Are you guys kidding me??? this is insane marketing, from any stand point. its cheapening the brand, and It makes NO sense.

Look who has been successful, and do what they do, right??? PORSCHE!!!!
did they come up with a GT3, GT3RS and make it cheaper than the street version? NO, they made the racer version MORE expensive with less features..... appealing to the more sporting customers....... Aston has great brand awareness. it competes with Mercedes , the new jag and has a stature that stands up near Ferrari and Lambo, BUT , now they take the same car (the AMv8) and make a racier version of it and make it cheaper??????? unbelievable.
Look what Porsche did:
911 GT3 $115,700 435 PS (320 kW; 429 hp) @ 7600 rpm, 3.8 L dry-sump4.0 s194 mph (312 km/h)[13]
911 GT3 RS $135,500 450 PS (331 kW; 444 hp) @ 7600 rpm, 3.8 L dry-sump3.8 s193 mph (311 km/h)[14]
911 GT3 RS 4.0 $180,000 500 PS (368 kW; 493 hp) @ 8500 rpm, 4.0 L dry-sump3.8 s193 mph (311 km/h)
911 Carrera 4S$93,200385 PS (283 kW; 380 hp) @ 6500 rpm, 3.8 L wet-sump4.5 s185 mph (298 km/h)
911 GT3 cup car (real race car, not street) $240k

Porsche took their flagship 911 and then made higher performance , racer versions of them, for the street. they are all stripped down version with racing bits on them. it heightens the brand, not diminishes. Aston has the GT4 race car, which is like the Porsche GT3 cup, now, what they need to do is make a street version of that to fill in the performance gap. BUT, its price should be at a premium of the standard V8 vantage or Vantage S......Obviously!
These marketing genius's need a lesson In value marketing and product positioning. insanely stupid. what did they do, really?................ they just gave a car with the Vantage S options, for 30k less, and stripped off what?.........the cruise control??? that you can add in anyway for a fee?? OMG, really??? if they kept the goofy paint scheme, that would be one way to justify it, (for cheap advertising), but since you can get it without the painted stripes, whats the point? you just gave the car a 20k price reduction AND, you kepted all your more expensive standard versions......... this is really unbelievable.

to reduce the price range or make a lower entry point version is understandable (to compete against Porsche or jag), but you don't do it by keeping the standard model at a higher cost and add a lower cost versions with the same performance. it makes no sense.

If I was on the marketing team of AM, I would have done this:

AMv8 GT4 for street use..... $140k.... lighter, same power as GT4 race car, no nav, special seats, maybe integrated roll bar or harness bar, less sound insulation, etc

AMv8 GT same power as standard vantage, a lot lighter, no nav standard, harness bar, racing/street seats, plastic dash/Carbon fiber, different, ligher wheels , rear mini wing and front splitter, and make it $10k less than standard vantage. (something unique that doesn't hurt value of standard models, but positions the car against the GT3/GT3RS Porsche on an even playing field) AND, making a car that is much more comfortable, unique and near as fast as the Porsche GT3 series cars.

OR the other way to go would be to make the standard AmV8 the new GT and for 2014, make the new standard version much more powerful and feature rich. better /bigger wheels, more power some body changes, bigger brakes... but the bottomline, you don't introduce a car that has the same power as the premier version, and have it cost $30k less. Just plain stupid

Last edited by XWCGT; 04-17-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:09 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
The GT is not really a "racer version" of the Vantage. It is just a Vantage S that's available in limited color combinations with fewer standard options. Regardless, I still don't think it makes sense and agree that it seems to cheapen the brand, as well as make it appear that Aston has been overcharging for the Vantage in the past.

Last edited by Racer_X; 04-17-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:21 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
The difference is that Porsche continually improves their products and that Aston Martin has stagnated their product instead of putting the big bucks into it like Porsche does. I think that Aston Martin is very smart on this move. To move as many of the vantages as possible before the new model comes out in a few years to get just a little bit more of the productline.

If I did not just pay 65,000 for my 09 Vantage which means I'll take perhaps just a little loss, but instead had an 06 or 07 Vantage I have my order in right now.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by Racer_X
The GT is not really a "racer version" of the Vantage. It is just a Vantage S that's available in limited color combinations with fewer standard options.
This. Again. This.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:25 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by IbisRider
I have to say that what bothers me most isn't the hit to residuals. What bothers me is the impact on (at least my) brand perception.

I've always considered Aston Martin to be a top end exotic brand rather than whatever the next tier down is. I think of Aston in the league with Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls, Bugatti. True exotics. Somehow, to me, dropping entry price to this level suggests a much more accessible, more common sports car. This is probably my elitist snobbery showing, but I like feeling like Astons are special and exotic in a way that no Porsche ever will be.

Instead of selling more cars to 911 buyers, I'd be so much happier to see Aston Martin selling more cars to 458 and Gallardo buyers.

"Let's make our cars cheaper" seems like a crappy way to sell more cars that are supposed to be special. Wouldn't "Let's make our cars more desirable" be a better strategy?

Yeah, I know the latter isn't so easy and is what they are trying desperately to do with the AMG plan. But the former is, in my opinion, really going to hurt the brand, and that's the most expensive thing of all.

Someone tell me again why the One-77 motor isn't in a production Vanquish S yet.
I haven't had the chance to read through this thread any further than IbisRider's post above, but...

EXACTLY!

Old 04-17-2014, 01:36 PM
I would love to see Aston Martin make a GT3RS equivalent, but that isn't being offered at the moment and that has nothing to do with the V8 Vantage GT. The V8VGT is NOT a racier version of the V8V. It's simply a V8VS with fewer options. That's it.

I don't think it's necessarily saying past Vantages have been overpriced. I think it's more a reflection of the age of the car. The DBS was $280-300k. How much is the current DB9? The DB9 is now what the DBS was before - this is exactly what AM is doing with the V8VS becoming the V8VGT. Nobody's raising a stink about that...

As for the upper-end engines/gear/tech/etc being trickled down, that happens to EVERY car. This shouldn't be a surprise.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2015 V8 Vantage GT