Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Lipstick alternative?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 03:20 PM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Lipstick alternative?

Lots, pro and con, written about lipstick. Below is an alternative I am testing. Also see a carbon splitter designed on and for this car.

Low, worms eye view of the rear, bulks up the posterior. Carbon Kamm tail mimics DBS and V8VS. More red tape = more test. Quicksilver Supersport backbox will soon be for sale. Look real close and see a V12V aluminum rear undertray.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	get-attachment 9.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	1,020.2 KB
ID:	363199   Click image for larger version

Name:	061.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	363201  
Old 04-21-2014, 11:28 AM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Did you really put a Nissan "R" on your car

Old 04-21-2014, 02:17 PM
Ellipsis is on a distinguished road
Curious about the front splitter… can you share any more details about it? Looks to be tighter around the edges which would help with approach angles if you're low. Did you make it?

Old 04-21-2014, 02:24 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I'd really liking the red and the places you've put it, but...

Originally Posted by Speedraser
Did you really put a Nissan "R" on your car

Old 04-21-2014, 02:45 PM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Making it my own.

Nope, not Nissan. Can not remember where I got it, had a couple of alts. It's probably from a 1960s Camaro fender engine I.D. I looked for and found a "speed" R, but it didn't match the angle on the liftgate. So I went with the block R I had.

Did you notice the oil coolers, ft & rr, have been highlighted? And the license plate has been raised and folded 90 degrees to improve cooler air flow.

Speed, how about the lipstick alt? Thumbs up, thumbs down, not a lipstick kind of guy?

When you retire you can spend a lot of time thinking and acting on little things (big things as well).

Last edited by flinder; 04-22-2014 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Added a ? to Speed(raser) line.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:26 AM
It's all in the details

Splitter - Yes, we made it, and the Kamm tail as well. 3 auto industry professionals, Kip Ewing (talented engineer, a can do individual), a clay modeler, and myself (planner and payer of bills) designed & modeled them in clay. Kip's company made the molds and manufactured the parts.

The "tighter on the corners" look was Kip's idea; he sold it to me. Yes, I believe the "breaks" in the sweep across the car, reduce its exposure and avoid calamities at drive entrances, etc.

Appearance development went about the same as if we were in an automobile company design center, to the point of claying unique styles, left and right, before evaluating and committing. It took a lot less time than the real world of auto design, a couple of days vs. a month or more.

Lipstick alternative? - It's electrical tape. Stretchable, but with limits, available in half a dozen colors. Got it at Loews. If I go forward I will have a pro do it (or Karl Franz?).

Note: Kip's company is out of business, this credit to his talent should not be misunderstood as an unpaid advertisement.

Last edited by flinder; 04-22-2014 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Note added to clarify message.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:05 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Ha! That would be a long to travel to get it done. Actually, it's not very difficult. I'm sure a man of your skills, given enough time and patience could do it.

If you're interested, I bought my vinyl from metrorestyling.com

Old 04-22-2014, 11:58 AM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by flinder
Nope, not Nissan. Can not remember where I got it, had a couple of alts. It's probably from a 1960s Camaro fender engine I.D. I looked for and found a "speed" R, but it didn't match the angle on the liftgate. So I went with the block R I had.

Did you notice the oil coolers, ft & rr, have been highlighted? And the license plate has been raised and folded 90 degrees to improve cooler air flow.

Speed, how about the lipstick alt? Thumbs up, thumbs down, not a lipstick kind of guy?

When you retire you can spend a lot of time thinking and acting on little things (big things as well).
I like the factory lipstick on the race cars and some of the optional lipsticks on the road cars (I'm not a fan of the contrasting cant rails, though -- IMO it breaks up the lines). Personally, I think I prefer the lipstick to the alternative, but honestly I like it best stock. But that's just me.

I didn't spend much time thinking on the "R" (wouldn't be very useful ) but I am curious about what it's from

Old 04-22-2014, 12:04 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I prefer the stock look as well, but I like Flinder's alternative much more than the lipstick. The rear bit below the license plate adds a nice balance to the look. I think it's great. And I was looking at your front lip - also well done!