Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

noisy serpintine belt (fan belt) V8 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 12:57 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
noisy serpintine belt (fan belt) V8 Vantage

I know we have had this discussion on here but here goes lad's mine started to squeak like a cricket , and went away when it gets warm (hot) but still annoying co's the car has a wonderful burble when its cold and you start it to pis of your neighbors who drive BWM and so on. So having a squeaking belt on start up is embarrassing

Belt got noisy today, i have not driven it for 6 weeks and got back into my home town turned the key and all i have is chirp chirp chirp even when its hot.
I called AM cape town they cant help till 5th May due to holidays and commitments..
i then put on a 6mm dowel a piece of sponge and soaked it in wyns dash a type of plastic re-newer? and placed this on the belt carefully on the outside while it runs, taking care not to let the fluid fall on the ribbed side.

silent as a mouse - so good for a temporary weekend fix I will see how long it lasts my car has 23000Km on it and goes like a bullet with no issued and I drive it with enthusiasm.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:31 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
are you sure it's not a failing bearing in the pulley? AM has a recall for that.

Here's a link to the repair

attached is the AM service bulletin

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 04-26-2014, 01:20 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
thank you for this, just a question why would the noise go silent if I put rubber enhancer layer on the smooth (top) of the belt as I have done? if it was the pully then the noise would have continued? or am I wrong because i did nothing to the bearing

Old 04-26-2014, 05:12 AM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
unless by happenstance some of the lubricant leeched down to the bearing races of the failing bearing. just a thought.

Originally Posted by captain Greg
thank you for this, just a question why would the noise go silent if I put rubber enhancer layer on the smooth (top) of the belt as I have done? if it was the pully then the noise would have continued? or am I wrong because i did nothing to the bearing

Old 04-26-2014, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by zvez
unless by happenstance some of the lubricant leeched down to the bearing races of the failing bearing. just a thought.
I took it for 1oo mile hard run and the noise is still gone? if it did manage to lube a faulty bearing then by now it should have started to sscream again or am i wrong?

Old 04-26-2014, 12:18 PM
no idea. I do know back in the old days for a squealing fan belt we'd use brake fluid that worked as well.

Originally Posted by captain Greg
I took it for 1oo mile hard run and the noise is still gone? if it did manage to lube a faulty bearing then by now it should have started to sscream again or am i wrong?

Old 04-26-2014, 12:25 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I had an 07 (new) that started doing the same thing a few months after i bought it... The dealer changed out the pulley system under warranty