Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New Tires - Dealer or Local shop?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 12:58 PM
JuanP is on a distinguished road
New Tires - Dealer or Local shop?

Hi all,

I now need to replace the original Pirelli's (15k+ miles). With my other cars, I have always gone to a local shop to get the tires replaced/balanced and an alignment instead of the dealer.

Do you recommend/prefer having a dealer do this or a local shop?

Thanks,

note: I'm still trying to decide between the Pilot SS or another set of P-Zero's.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:04 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I buy from Tire Rack and have them deliver to my dealership instead of my home. I then schedule an appt with the dealer service department to install them. I also prefer the Super Sports.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:22 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
When Rich L. was parts manager at Los Gatos AM last year, he was very accommodating. He met Tire Rack pricing, including shipping fees, and charged $50 per wheel for "no-touch" installation and force balancing...which I thought was quite reasonable for a dealer, as most tire shops were in the $35-$40 range per wheel when I checked. I had a set of Bridgestone RE 11's mounted there, on a second set of rims, for my track day excursions...
Unfortunately, he has moved on to the San Diego dealer and I don't know if LGAM will still be as easy to work with.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:25 PM
JuanP is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info. I've got a call in to Lucien at Marin Luxury Cars (they are still authorized AM service center).

Old 05-01-2014, 01:42 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by JuanP
Thanks for the info. I've got a call in to Lucien at Marin Luxury Cars (they are still authorized AM service center).
You may not be aware, but Cole European in Walnut Creek still services AM's. As a last resort, I buy some parts from them: however, at last check they have the best price on the Castrol Edge Sport 10W-60 oil that the Vantage uses. Don't know about their tire pricing though .

My second set of rims came with a used set of P-Zeros; admittedly older rubber with a wear rating of 60. Was unimpressed with their performance on the road in the Vantage (street and track), but YMMV.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:06 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
Do we have to get the tires with the AM component int the tire size.

The gaydon definitive guide book mentions that the bridgestones have a special AM prefix. or does it matter?

Chris

Old 05-01-2014, 07:01 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
^^^^ Pilot Super Sports are better than the stock tires.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:11 PM
DonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the rough
I would not trust most independent shops that I am familiar with.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Aerome is on a distinguished road
Just bought 2 P Zero's from DISCOUNT TIRE. I would have gone to 4 SS's but the car is still under warranty and yes, the tires are designated "AM". Didn't want any problems if a claim was filed. I removed the wheels and brought them to the tire shop. When I had the tires replaced on the i6, the monkeys were forcing a nut on with the air gun. Sh*t hit the fan when I walked out to see that going on.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by zvez

The gaydon definitive guide book mentions that the bridgestones have a special AM prefix. or does it matter?

Chris
In my opinion, the AM component is just a means to charge you more. As long as you keep the sizes within reason as compared to stock (or the optional sizes), so the ABS and DSC systems are within their "comfort range", the choice of tire brands is up to you.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:00 AM
DonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Aerome
Just bought 2 P Zero's from DISCOUNT TIRE. I would have gone to 4 SS's but the car is still under warranty and yes, the tires are designated "AM". Didn't want any problems if a claim was filed. I removed the wheels and brought them to the tire shop. When I had the tires replaced on the i6, the monkeys were forcing a nut on with the air gun. Sh*t hit the fan when I walked out to see that going on.
My point exactly..........

Old 05-02-2014, 09:45 AM
Aerome is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DonBond
My point exactly..........
Matter of fact according to the specs provided by Discount Tire, the AM versions had a lower speed rating than the others. In 6 years I'll put the SS's on it and have a brand new car.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Aerome
Matter of fact according to the specs provided by Discount Tire, the AM versions had a lower speed rating than the others. In 6 years I'll put the SS's on it and have a brand new car.
I refer only to the quality of the technicians........

Old 05-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by zvez

Chris
The Bridgestones were terrible tires from a ride standpoint. Made my car very harsh over bumps. As KF said, the MPSSs are very good.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:44 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Please give me a call, I'm happy to help!

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Tires - Dealer or Local shop?