Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V12 Idle Vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 08:41 AM
HenryM is on a distinguished road
V12 Idle Vibration

I have a nearly new 2012.5 V12 Vantage. Ever since I took delivery I have noticed an odd vibration at idle. It feels as if the engine idles smoothly for a few seconds and then slightly rough for a few seconds and continues to repeat this pattern. It doesn't appear to make any difference if the engine has just been started or is warm from use. The Aston service center confirms that they can feel this idle pattern but there are no error codes being recorded. They also verified that the misfire codes are properly recorded in the ECU.

My question is has anyone else experienced this on any Aston V12? If so, if you have had it corrected what has been done?

Thanks

Henry

Last edited by HenryM; 05-02-2014 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 05-02-2014, 09:30 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Have had 3 AM V12s, and none exhibited this behavior. My Jag V12, however, is a little rough at idle but then smooths out once the rpm is brought up a little. But what you are describing seems like a periodic event. Could it be an idle air issue where it isn't set just right and causes the engine to hunt? You would expect that if it was misfire related you'd have plenty of codes.

Sorry for not being of any real help.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:41 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Me neither for my former V12V. Smooth as silk, as a V12 should be.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:35 AM
V12V will become famous soon enough
No problem with mine. I would certainly be on my dealer and AMNA to find the problem while the car is under warranty. Not something to ignore.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:47 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
AM Cape Town had this issue with a client car had 3000Km.... they replaced the engine completely under warranty they did not bother to open it speak to Jason at AM Cape town maybe he can tell you what to do

Old 05-02-2014, 08:27 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Never had this issue. I'd get it checked by the dealer.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:07 PM
blue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really nice
When I had the recall done on my break pedal for my DB9, the dealer performed a software update which claimed it was supposed to solve a "rough idle" on V12 engines.

That may be your issue?

Old 05-04-2014, 08:00 AM
juanilovantage-s is on a distinguished road
No problems here... So far

Old 05-05-2014, 07:26 AM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
I've had my V12V almost a year and a half now, and have not experienced this issue.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Does it feel like a little stumble (not enough to be due to a misfire, just slightly uneven running)? Do the revs fluctuate at all when you feel the vibration?

Old 05-10-2014, 06:39 AM
Yes, it does feel like a little stumble. I haven't noticed any fluctuation of the revs. It's not horrible but it doesn't seem right.

Henry

Old 05-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Henry,

Hard to say at this distance, but that sounds like electronics rather than a mechanical issue, which is good. FWIW, my V8 generally idles perfectly smoothly, but with the occasional minor stumble. I think it's perfectly normal, and all my cars do that to some degree. That said, I can't say your car is running properly. Did your V8 do something similar?

Old 05-12-2014, 05:44 AM
No, my V8 idled smoothly for all the time that I owned it.

You my have something with the electronics theory. Without any misfire codes being thrown that sounds likely. I'll see if it persists.

Henry