Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DBS Oil Leak Help please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 09:18 PM
anton28 will become famous soon enough
DBS Oil Leak Help please

Had my car aligned and was informed that i have an oil leak. I looked and it seems to be coming from the very front of the motor up behind the front pulleys. Its tracking all the way back towards the transmission and as the car sits there you can see it dripping down. Car only has 8500 Miles and is a 2009 DBS. Is there a front main seal on these? What typically starts leaking from the front?

Old 05-05-2014, 09:42 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Front timing cover sealing, which occurs on some V12s. Unless very bad, ignore it, since it is an engine-out fix.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:11 PM
anton28 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Front timing cover sealing, which occurs on some V12s. Unless very bad, ignore it, since it is an engine-out fix.
Well that's not good news lol

Old 05-06-2014, 12:56 PM
DonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the rough
If it were mine I would try an oil additive to swell the oil seals. Keep in mind you would need double the quantity called for because of your large sump capacity. I'm sure this suggestion will likely elicit some negative responses but what other choices do you have? I would not live with an oil leak on an Aston.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:29 PM
rscultho is on a distinguished road
Engine out fix...so I'm assuming that you cannot put the car on a lift and remove the accessories in the front to get at the timing cover?

Could it be coming from a valve cover and running/dripping down?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	031000_E1_EngineSealing.gif
Views:	505
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	371433  
Old 05-06-2014, 01:49 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
It can be done in the car...just got to know how

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 05-06-2014, 01:53 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by irish07
It can be done in the car...just got to know how
Still a big job...

So, how many hours to do it using your special trickery?

Old 05-06-2014, 01:59 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Still a big job...

So, how many hours to do it using your special trickery?
Less work than a V8 I can assure you.. ..sorry, hours I can't quote being I don't following all steps..would not be fair to quote and bring this txt to another dealer/garage and state "irish does it, why can't you?"..I have to play fair

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 05-06-2014, 02:05 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by anton28
Had my car aligned and was informed that i have an oil leak. I looked and it seems to be coming from the very front of the motor up behind the front pulleys. Its tracking all the way back towards the transmission and as the car sits there you can see it dripping down. Car only has 8500 Miles and is a 2009 DBS. Is there a front main seal on these? What typically starts leaking from the front?
If it's leaking I wouldn't ignore it..But first get it washed off and add dye to the engine oil...make sure it's the timing cover and not coming from the water pump and P/S pump bolt threads..otherwise wasting money on a timing cover re-seal when all you need is high pressure sealant on both the pump's bolts that go through the timing cover..

Sweating(oil staining) is ok and can be lived with but monitored yearly on service...leaking(forming drops) is not ok at any time and should be repaired

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-15-2023, 02:01 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
I chased down a similar leak on my my first DB9 several years ago. Even the advantage of a lift in my garage, I couldn't accurately find the source.

I eventually tried a method suggested to me by a mechanic friend of mine and I accurately located the exact location of this pesky leak.

Quite simple really. Introduce a specially formulated dye into the problematic source of the leak and then allow time for the lubrication to move through the system. Then inspect with the supplied UV flashlight and glasses to easily find the source. Just like it's done at hotel rooms and/or crime scenes.

The kit I used is called "Dye-Lite" TP-3400. Attached some pics. Good luck!

Custom storage box.

​​​