Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Extremely HOT Weather

Old 05-22-2014, 05:11 AM
N91K is on a distinguished road
Extremely HOT Weather

Hey everyone,

I am from Bahrain which is a very hot place, its now starting to get extremely hot (102F) and will get even warmer (113F)! I worry about the Astons, the Vantage was used and kept in the sun for hours at least 4 times a week, but that was 2 years ago and thankfully nothing went wrong. Now I've been keeping the car as a garage queen unless i use it at night. After getting the Rapide i also worry about the leather especially, any input or anyone experience with Aston Martins in weather like this? The problem is that i really want to use the cars and enjoy it, i hate keeping it in the garage and using the other car (Mercedes GLK). I used the Rapide today and kept it in the sun for only an hour and also used a sunshade but the dash was boiling when i got in the car! Should i keep it more often in the garage in the morning and use it more at nights? Or wait for the weather to get better which is only 3 months a year max!

Also will this weather affect the car other than the leather?

Thank you all!

Old 05-25-2014, 02:56 PM
Anyone?

Old 05-25-2014, 03:52 PM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
The cabin is a greenhouse after parked in the sun for a long period of time. We get the occasional 35C even in California. So I know your concern. Just park in the shade whenever you can. I know...cows are sun-proof (and water-proof) out in the fields but leather is another story. Humidity can also affect leather quality as well.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:10 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
Leave the window down a little, that'll at least help a little to dissipate the heat.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:41 AM
Originally Posted by V8Vin
The cabin is a greenhouse after parked in the sun for a long period of time. We get the occasional 35C even in California. So I know your concern. Just park in the shade whenever you can. I know...cows are sun-proof (and water-proof) out in the fields but leather is another story. Humidity can also affect leather quality as well.
Originally Posted by zvez
Leave the window down a little, that'll at least help a little to dissipate the heat.
Thank you both, ill try to park more under the shade and leave the window a little open.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:33 AM
Jeremyosj is on a distinguished road
I live in Singapore and have the Vantage parked out in the sun 3 to 4 hours once every 2 weeks for about a year now. It gets hot but the leathers still looks new. I treat the leather every month though.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:39 AM
That's great to hear! Thanks bro for the input.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:17 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
As long as the leather is properly cared for, it should be okay.

Some of the earlier Vantages (and I think DB9s, too) had problems with the leather separating on the dashboard, especially on the piece above the gauge cluster. Basically, the glue keeping the leather in place couldn't handle the heat, would get soft, and the leather would pull. As far as I know, that was resolved some time ago and isn't an issue for newer cars.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:25 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
The most important area to keep the sun off is the dashboard. It's where most of the electronics are and also the leather on the dash has been reported to shrink when exposed to sun for long periods. Go to Google and search for the link to the "Heat Shield store" and buy one of these "custom made" shields for your windshield--they are the best on the market for sure.

Last edited by dicktahoe; 05-26-2014 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by telum01
As long as the leather is properly cared for, it should be okay.

Some of the earlier Vantages (and I think DB9s, too) had problems with the leather separating on the dashboard, especially on the piece above the gauge cluster. Basically, the glue keeping the leather in place couldn't handle the heat, would get soft, and the leather would pull. As far as I know, that was resolved some time ago and isn't an issue for newer cars.

Originally Posted by dicktahoe
The most important area to keep the sun off is the dashboard. It's where most of the electronics are and also the leather on the dash has been reported to shrink when exposed to sun for long periods. Go to Google and search for the link to the "Heat Shield store" and buy one of these "custom made" shields for your windshield--they are the best on the market for sure.
Thanks, i noticed the dashboards get really hot but i use a sunshade to be extra cautious to prevent any damage, i hope thats enough.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:07 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by N91K
Thanks, i noticed the dashboards get really hot but i use a sunshade to be extra cautious to prevent any damage, i hope thats enough.
Using a sun-shade is a really good idea, but some are much poorer quality than others. Get a really good one, and that's why I recommended the one that's custom made for your car by the "Heat Shield store", best I've found. I have no connection with that supplier, I've just used their product for several years.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:31 PM
Ill check it out, thanks a lot!

Old 05-29-2014, 10:09 AM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
Thanks for this input, I finally looked at this and looks like a great deal for the money!

Originally Posted by dicktahoe

Old 05-29-2014, 11:18 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Hmm. Those heat shields look pretty flimsy. They also have pictures of a Vantage roadster labeled DB9 convertible and a DB9 coupe labeled Vantage AMV8.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:17 PM
Here's a pic, I figure for $40 I'll give it a try. The sunscreen I'm using in my Fiat is one of the stiff type and it kind of a pain.

Originally Posted by karlfranz
Hmm. Those heat shields look pretty flimsy. They also have pictures of a Vantage roadster labeled DB9 convertible and a DB9 coupe labeled Vantage AMV8.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	244int.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	380084  

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Extremely HOT Weather