Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

I have Synaesthesia

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 08:31 AM
Charvet is on a distinguished road
I have Synaesthesia

WHY A NEW CAR, AND WHY AM I HERE

I am 36, living in France, male. For various reasons I feel that I should reward myself, buying myself a present. Before, I have owned a string of XJRs, various MB S-Class sedans, a Bentley 8 and a few Mini Coopers. Now, I have used these for everyday transport, but I am not a petrolhead in the typical sense. I do not to “track days”, and I do not “hoon”. I usually cruise along in a relaxed manner. I prefer auto-boxes, and am a great fan of the GT concept (as in Merc CL, Jag XK, Ferrari 612 and precedessors, Bentley Contis of all vintages). Driving a GT is..well…more on that later.

Cars are very important to me, but as an accessory, because of theiraesthetic appeal, what they say about the owner etc. This leads us to….

SYNAESTHESIA

I am suffering from Synaesthesia, a neurological condition which means that my senses are arbitrarily linked. I can “hear” colours, and I can “taste” sounds. While that may sound funny, or loopy at best, it is annoying. People like me are prone to hypersensitivity to light, sound, smell, touch.

Now add another component - Ideasthesia, defined as a phenomenon in which activations of concepts evoke perception-like experiences. The name comes from the Greek idea and aisthesis, meaning"sensing concepts" or "sensing ideas".

Unfortunately Mother Nature has decided to top this off with a Borderline personality disorder (intense fears of abandonment and intense anger and irritability, idealization and devaluation of others, alternating between high positive regard and great disappointment). Self-harm and suicidal behavior are part of this, and I have to admit that unfortunately both has happened before, including wasting money in a very unreasonable and self-harming way.

I am working in an industry and role which very much enable me to make the best out if this overall condition. Without bragging, I can say that I am probably very successful in what I do exactly because of this condition. Still, life for me is very difficult overall.

HOW DOES THIS AFFECT ME IN TERMS OF CARS

I am very sensitive, even irritable when it comes to – wait for it – the car’s respective positioning in the model range, the smell of the interior, the various details of its exterior design, the alloy-wheel-diameter-to-body-size ratio and other proportions, the font of the model ID lettering on the rear and so on. There are colours which make me feel tired and exhausted (e.g. usually black, some metallic burgundies, whereas plain burgundies are fine). Paint and interior colour combinations can be exhausting, refreshing, provoking. You get the idea by now.

How a car drives interests me far less than…who could have driven it, in which situation, how the world was then. I can smell the fresh but chilly spring air of 1967 when seeing a MB Pagoda. Got it? So, a high-powered GT is something which makes me think of…Geneva, diplomats from the Ivory Coasts, heavy curtains in the Beau-Rivage hotels. The smell of electric radiators in W1 London. Burgundy-coloured passports.

WHAT HAPPENED SO FAR

Originally I was in the market for a Daimler Double Six ca. 1990, the old V12 model. I love its curves, the smell, and the various ideas and concepts it triggers in my mind (far beyond Arfur Dailey etc). I considered various 911models, from 1980 white SCs to 997s. 911s were too common, you see them everywhere. They fit everyone, they do not have a “story”, yes, they are great cars, but not for me. The 6.75 Continental R is not young enough and not old enough. Why does it have these tacky chrome frames around the taillights??

My budget went up from 15.000 EUR to 25.000 EUR to….50.000 EUR which buy you a entry-level AM V8V in mainland Europe. By the way, the “Bond” connection does nothing for me, I simply don’t care about it.

I have been to three dealers now to check out several 4.3 Vantages. Atone dealer, our discussion ended after 5 minutes, me in tears and emotionally disturbed, because the sales guy would simply not listen to what I wanted from him/from the car, he kept on talking about revvs and residuals and whatnot, and he simply did not want to talk about the virtues of coarse vs. fine stitching on the seats. The others were better. I finally drove a 4.3 manual and a 4.3 Sportshift.

The sportshift one was…interesting. I noticed the lack of torque and unwillingness to rev, and the clunky SS operation was…well..actually it was so typical British…I began to love it. The car fitted me like a bespoke suit, very snug, very…right. The sound was…ok..but not enough. Browsing youtube brought up the Arabs-in-London videos. I now know I want that sound. Factory V8V is too shrill, high-pitched…I want rumble.

4.3 VS. 4.7

Thanks to this forum I learned about the various differences about these two versions. It sounds as if the 4.7 would do away with many technical issue sof the earlier model. Still, the revised interior somehow looks less “Aston” and more “mainstream”. Or doesn’t it? In my market, the 4.7 commands a premium of 15-20.000 EUR over the 4.3 (ceterus paribus). Normally, this is when all the experts would debate about facts. I fade out here. But the low-end rev and torque thing is still on my mind.

VANTAGE VS. DB9

I am still unsure. Is the DB9 the “real deal” vs the Vantage being the “Boxster” of the AM range? My mind is occupied with the general concept of owning/driving a V12, the ultimate thing, lovingly outdated, the engine of choice for dictators, fraudsters, international diplomats and industrialists. It has a proper Auto box. And it is somehow much more of a GT. A car that Lino Ventura would drive, in a modern-day version of “L'emmerdeur”, wearing a battleship grey 2-button birdseye suit.

Still, the rear shape somehow looks…dated? Mature? Too old for me?

VANTAGE VS. OTHER CARS

I have also considered other exotic/upmarket cars, GTs in particular.

-The Bentley Continental GT (first edition) is nice, but I am struggling with the shape, which (until its recent face-lift) is somehow not refined enough. My brain registers the lack of connection to the older Bentley, despite the logos all over the car. Mine would have to be in plain dark green /navy blue, both colours are very rare. Then I’d need 20” Mulliner alloys and this very yellow-ish leather (Saffron?). Easily 65.000 EUR in this configuration (the resale silver ones are much cheaper).

-The Maserati Grandturismo sounds great – the sound has a very strong impact on my emotions; when a “S” drove by (needless to say on agrim day in London) I began to shiver and cry, I got a headache (can be both good and bad). Still, the interior is very “common” (as in “normal”, “standard”)and could easily be in a Volvo, as the rear lights. Somehow no, but I don’t knowwhy.

-RR Corniche ca. 1987, must be slightly-lighter-than-navy-blue. Leftfield choice. I know. But the smell. This is Cap Martin, a briefcase fullof banknotes, a gun. Which gun?

THE “OUT” LIST

-Japanese: lacking soul/emotion

-Corvette: doesn’t fit into my lifestyle

-MB SL: dentist’s car

-Jag F-Type: no. No.

-Ferrari/Lambo: cars for Doug Heffernan’s “Ticket to Paradise” moments, for “swooping” girls like G Manifesto. But not for me. Well maybe a 612 in grey. But..then again, why not. No.

SUMMARY

I think (do I know? Am I sure?) I want a grey(no: racing green! Or not?) Vantage Sportshift 4.7 with a Quicksilver Supersport exhaust. But…Should I double my budget and go for a…for a…mh…or should I ditch the whole idea altogether and buy me a…

...a PROPER OLD MASTERS PAINTING, preferably a grey-dominated scene like THIS: http://www.jeanmoust.com/index.cfm?p...rtist=Nuys,Ary Jansz. Van

That would be something I would never get tired of, for the rest of my life.

I would be really grateful for your comments, and I know that I have probably burdened you with a story which is quite different to the “What Car” threads in this forum. Thanks again for your understanding.

Kind regards

Guy

Last edited by Charvet; 05-29-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:44 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Whew! Well I'm exhausted! Anyone else?

Old 05-29-2014, 09:11 AM
Mark8V8 will become famous soon enoughMark8V8 will become famous soon enough
Guy,

Get the Vantage 4.7 with sportshift. That is the car for you.

Mark

Old 05-29-2014, 09:13 AM
Yes, but why??

Old 05-29-2014, 09:28 AM
Mark8V8 will become famous soon enoughMark8V8 will become famous soon enough
Guy

An Aston Martin is like an Old Masters Painting. AM's are hand assembled, not the fastest, not the latest technology but pure from a mechanical and visual standpoint. The car is very robust and by today's standards overbuilt with detail most don't appreciate, but you will. I have a lift in my garage and service this car. It is a hand crafted genuine article.... I believe this seems to fit your nature. It does for me. You can drive this car across France and it will not wear you out. I am an engineer and I appreciate this car where others just don't see or sense what an AM represents.

Mark

Old 05-29-2014, 09:30 AM
Many thanks, Mark - "pure" was very good, and "overbuilt with detail most don't appreciate" is something which I can easily understand.

Respect.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:56 AM
An additional remark on why Vantage/who not DB9:

The LEDs in the V8V's headlights, especially combined with a black exterior paint...I don't know how to describe it properly..black and white diamonds, black and very bright (almost white) silver...ideally with a rather metallic black (1) with lots of metal flake in the paintwork...black and crystal tastes bitter, like Cocaine which I have only tried once in my life, is tastes bitter but makes the lights...go bright, now I am talking about the colour combo, not about stupid drugs...

...the DB9s headlights seem to be "dead", lifeless.

(1) I know that I said earlier that I don't like black cars. Yes, but...

Old 05-29-2014, 10:08 AM
ohTHATeric is on a distinguished road
I also have synesthesia though not as severe . . . I mostly see sound and hear certain colors. Very hard to explain.

If you are like me, you'll not want but NEED a Vantage . . . V8 N420 or V8 with sport exhaust. V12 Vantage if fiscally possible.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:08 AM
In any case I would like to upgrade the car with a few modifications. Has anyone replaced the Alcantara headliner with leather? The boot?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.