Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DBS & V8Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 11:35 AM
Mark8V8 will become famous soon enoughMark8V8 will become famous soon enough
DBS & V8Vantage

Guys,

I am currently a Vantage Owner now considering a DBS. I love the look of the DBS but not sure about letting go of my Vantage. Not a bad problem to have, but would love to hear from anyone with a DBS. I have an eye on a 09 with auto/manual. Not sure if I will like it verses my manual Vantage. How about ride and overall feel verses Vantage?

Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited by Mark8V8; 05-30-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:37 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Short answer: V12

Old 05-30-2014, 01:35 PM
rscultho is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mark8V8
Guys,

I am currently a Vantage Owner now considering a DBS. I love the look of the DBS but not sure about letting go of my Vantage. Not a bad problem to have, but would love to hear from anyone with a DBS. I have an eye on a 09 with auto/manual. Not sure if I will like it verses my manual Vantage. How about ride and overall feel verses Vantage?

Thanks
I have only driven a V8 Vantage once. It is tame compared to the DBS I have.

But, your Vantage is cheaper to own in almost every way to a DBS; much more so in some ways. From fuel consumption, to insurance, repairs, etc. Ride is comfortable but firm. Just more expensive car to own and operate.

However, if none of this is an issue for you then read this. It is one of my favorite descriptions of a DBS:

According to Aston Martin: "The DBS is not of the understated elegance of a DB9, nor the youthful agility of the V8 Vantage. It is explosive power in a black tie and has its own unique character which will equal that of James Bond."

Now, you should be feeling something deep in your pants about now.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:44 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rscultho
According to Aston Martin: "The DBS is not of the understated elegance of a DB9, nor the youthful agility of the V8 Vantage. It is explosive power in a black tie and has its own unique character which will equal that of James Bond." ....
That's an awesome explanation!

Old 05-30-2014, 02:48 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
I personally like small cars. When I owned a V8V I considered a DBS but ultimately decided against it. One thing I love about the V8V is the size and how much more nimble the car feels in comparison to the DBS. The DBS had a much smoother ride but was a bigger car. The DBS does sound amazing though. I love the sound of the V12, which is probably why I see the V12V as the best Aston offers.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:39 PM
scottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura about
Get a V12V. It's the best of both worlds.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:23 PM
The V12V may be the way to go. Too bad the new V12S is auto/manual only.... I wonder if AM will release a manual version

Old 05-31-2014, 04:40 AM
rbobby is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know if they sell the V12V roadsters in the US? All the V12V I see here are coupes.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:30 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by rbobby
Does anyone know if they sell the V12V roadsters in the US? All the V12V I see here are coupes.
No it doesn't meet US safety standards apparently
The run of 101 were are slod ~18 months ago
There is no news on a V12VS roadster yet

Old 05-31-2014, 08:46 AM
ohTHATeric is on a distinguished road
Guys,

Thanks
Like others have commented, I considered a DBS but thought it felt particularly huge. Great for a GT but I wanted something a bit more smaller and sports car focused. (Full disclosure that some of my previous cars were a 993 Porsche and a Lotus Elise--very small cars; like the American waistline, the Porsche 911 seems to be growing in size every year; it's surprising to see how small a 993 is next to a current 911).

I liked the size of the V8 Vantage (briefly had a N420 V8) but ultimately ended up with a manual V12 Vantage. Seemed the best of all things in one package.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:55 AM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Short answer: V12
This, but more importantly:

I have had both the V8V Nurburgring Edition and a DBS. The Vantage handles quite well and is much more nimble and agile then its GT brother, DBS. But the V8V felt way underpowered for me. The DBS sounded great but handling was subpar in my book. It was good as a daily driver. But with the added weight, it still felt weak in the power to weight ratio.
The V12VS ticked all the boxes in my book. I welcome the overly criticized Sportshift III gearbox. It's supposed to be a raw car not that soft DCT stuff. Those that cry for manual, it's a thing of the past - buy a Lotus or an old P-car to row the gears and be one with the car (I did). The 3 stage adaptive damping suspension makes it an all around multi purpose car. Oh and fastest Aston ever produced, save One-77? I'll take it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rearV121_zps6a28f208.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	381308  

Last edited by plastique999; 06-01-2014 at 01:59 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:58 AM
It looks like the V12V is what I should be looking at. BTW, i used to leave near Diamond Bar, year ago. When I worked in Orange County.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:05 AM
4pipes will become famous soon enough4pipes will become famous soon enough
The only problem I had when I looked at a Vantage was leg room. If your over 6' tall, the DBS is way more comfortable on road trips.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:26 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Another vote for the V12V. Best of both words (smaller & V12 engine).

Old 06-01-2014, 09:56 AM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
It looks like the V12V is what I should be looking at. BTW, i used to leave near Diamond Bar, year ago. When I worked in Orange County.
Hey old fellow neighbor. Where are you located now?
If you're ever around Alta Loma, feel free to meet up and I'll let you test drive my car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DBS & V8Vantage