Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

How To: DIY Transaxle Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 05:28 AM
Carlos_ctr is on a distinguished road
Hell everyone and happy new year!

I amplannig to do my transaxle fluid change on the next days. I have already the castrol 270a in my house but after reading redpants DIY I have read that if someone has the ASM sporthsift gearbox it is not recommended to do it because it is necessary a flush.

My dealer is quite far away and I would like to know if it is mandatory to do the flush or if I can change the fluid as in the manual gearbox. Can I brake something!?

Thanks a lot

Carlos

Old 01-11-2017, 10:03 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Copy/paste from the other thread about this:

The gear oil definitely needs to be changed in the ASM transmission, it was the DIY that I was saying I don't recommend, only because I want to have complete information about the gearbox and everything around it before I start encouraging (explicitly or implicitly) people to do anything to the ASM transmission. Once I've got everything together and posted, I'll clarify what can and can't be done with the ASM gearbox and its maintenance. Until then, I'm hesitant to post anything that could lead to a costly issue.

Here's what I had to say to help clarify it for everyone else:

The main concern is actually the clutch line, which is part of the brake fluid system. If that gets drained, there's no way to refill it without an AMDS (Aston Martin Diagnostic System, which is proprietary). Without any fluid in the clutch line, the car will not shift, and you'll likely need the car shipped to a dealership to have it fixed.

I put the "I don't recommend" comment on the DIY out of an abundance of caution while I gather complete information for that transmission. I need to verify that nothing else regarding the transmission needs an AMDS.

-----

You may be perfectly fine with changing the gear oil itself, and I don't think there are any issues with doing it on the SportShift the same way you do it on the manual transmission. The problem that I run into is honestly one of liability, so until I have complete information about the SportShift, I tend to discourage people from working on it based on my DIY guides. Last thing I need is for something to go wrong because of a difference in the transmissions and for me to be blamed for it!

What we're basically looking at are two systems - the transmission and the brakes. The transmission has gear oil in it, the brakes have brake fluid. However, the two overlap a bit because the brake fluid is also in the clutch line.
  • Since you don't have a clutch pedal in your car, there are solenoids that control the clutch for you. If you drain the fluid from the clutch line, the fluid can't be replaced without an AMDS, so the clutch won't work, so the transmission can't shift.
  • Since you don't have a shifter in your car, there is a system of solenoids that control shifting for you. If anything goes wrong with that system, your transmission either will not shift, or will shift incorrectly (destroying your transmission).
The SportShift transmission is very similar to the manual - it's basically a manual transmission with extra components to replace the clutch pedal and shifter you'd have if you were in a manual car. But some aspects of the transmission are very specific in how they're maintained. So rather than assuming something is safe, I'd rather exercise caution until I know exactly what can and cannot be done to that transmission.

As for the tasks themselves, brake fluid should be done every two years, and gear oil should be done every four years. Even though both affect the transmission, the fluids are independent of each other, so they don't need to be done at the same time. You're fine doing your brake fluid so long as you only drain from the brake calipers and don't touch the clutch bleed line.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:47 AM
got one will become famous soon enough
Darn, and I have a ASM...was hoping that I could do it myself until I read the above

Old 01-12-2017, 09:05 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by got one
Darn, and I have a ASM...was hoping that I could do it myself until I read the above
Read above again. You CAN do it yourself if you are only changing the transaxle fluid, which is independent of the clutch fluid in the SS transmission.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:43 PM
got one will become famous soon enough
oh...okay.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:10 PM
Aregg is an unknown quantity at this point
I did come across what oil goes in the clutch system of the Sportshift. Did not make a note now can not find it. Any ideas? Need to top mine up a little.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:01 PM
Aregg is an unknown quantity at this point
Did not realize you were up and running again. Will email you thanks.