Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Back in the AM fold with a V8V roadster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 04:36 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Back in the AM fold with a V8V roadster

Yesterday I added a V8V roadster to my AM experience. Back in 2010 I had a 2003 Vanquish which I had a lot of trouble liking... from the clunky paddles to the mismatched panels from the factory. I couldn't quite accept it fully and reluctantly sold it after a year - it was my dream car but I had some issues driving something this big round town.

Now I've got the same paddle system again, but in the Vantage it seems to be an entirely different machine altogether, so I'm delighted. I believe it has to do with the smaller body and sporty handling which makes it a very attractive drive. I'm loving it.

I traded my Mercedes SL500 with a panoramic roof, so while I like the shape of the V8V coupe it's a little claustrophobic for me in that small cabin and the roadster has solved that problem. Getting the roof down has made all the difference in the world, and in some ways the roadster is better than the Merc because the windscreen appears shorter and lets in more sky. Add to that the rip-roaring exhaust sound that attracted me to the marque, and every drive is pure bliss.

And once again I'm approached by people admiring the car - always happens with Aston Martins but never had that with any of my others, the Bentley Continentals (2) or Merc SLs (3). It happened on the test drive when I was at the gas station and continued from the sidewalk as I cruised by. It's a real good looker, and while I didn't buy it to be the center of attention - that is what's happening.

I look forward to many more days like this one!

Last edited by kensilver; 10-05-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:38 AM
N91K is on a distinguished road
Welcome back to the AM family and that's a pretty good looking Vantage you've got there, i love the red calipers! Congrats and enjoy the endless joyful rides!

Old 10-05-2014, 10:17 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Congrats, and welcome back to the AM family. I think you'll find your V8 much easier to love than the Vanquish, which although a superb car in its own right, is much more difficult to use daily.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 10-05-2014, 03:34 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by N91K
Welcome back to the AM family and that's a pretty good looking Vantage you've got there, i love the red calipers! Congrats and enjoy the endless joyful rides!
Thanks. I think the calipers are part of the sports upgrade along with the 19" wheels, just trying to find out more. They add a nice touch of color to the grey.

Last edited by kensilver; 10-05-2014 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 10-05-2014, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Congrats, and welcome back to the AM family. I think you'll find your V8 much easier to love than the Vanquish, which although a superb car in its own right, is much more difficult to use daily.
Exactly. The long overhang on the Vanquish reduced a number of places I could visit, but I still have the same problem with the Vantage in getting over a sharp hump in our driveway. I thought its slightly less wheelbase would improve the access, but not so.

Variable suspension height on the Merc and Bentley were a real advantage!

Old 10-06-2014, 02:15 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Very nice!
The coloured calipers were simply a cost option as where the 19" alloys on the early cars
the "Sports" pack didn't come in until the release of the N400 giving different alloys and dampers

Old 10-06-2014, 02:17 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Just realised whats going on with the grill
Its had after market front parking sensors added

Old 10-06-2014, 04:24 AM
Originally Posted by mikey k
Yes, they're ugly warts on that sleek grill, and I'm getting them removed tomorrow.

The number plate was fitted on a mounting box which covered the lower third of the grill and made the sensors less obvious. I got rid of the box, along with a crazy number of securing screws and bolts, and mounted the plate lower to improve the look of the grill.

Last edited by kensilver; 10-06-2014 at 04:30 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:26 AM
Very nice!
The coloured calipers were simply a cost option as where the 19" alloys on the early cars
the "Sports" pack didn't come in until the release of the N400 giving different alloys and dampers
Good to know. Here in New Zealand we get a lot of optional extras as standard, so it's hard to figure out which is a 'real' upgrade.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:10 AM
Its not just NZ
Aston are buggers for "special editions/packages" made up from raiding the options list and parts bins

Old 10-06-2014, 01:46 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
What a nice color, welcome back.
Ron

Old 10-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Ron Avery
What a nice color, welcome back.
Ron
Thanks Ron. Color in the photo shows darker than real life. I've just discovered where to find the paint name without unscrewing the engine cover, but it's in the shop today having a couple things done!

"(Courtesy of Retman) - there is an easier way to find the paint name in a V8 Vantage. Remove the cover for the nav DVD player on the upper left hand side of the boot. There should be a sticker just above the DVD player with the name of the paint colour on it."

Old 10-06-2014, 06:08 PM
I didn't read this properly - they're actually for the radar detection unit, not parking. The park sensors at each end of the grill work fine.

Don't know the radar brand yet and can't even find the unit... it's hidden somewhere in the bowels of the machine! The sensors seem to be glued into the grill since I can't feel or see any screws or other attachments and they are rock solid. Hope they don't make a mess of the grill after removal.

Last edited by kensilver; 10-06-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by kensilver
Thanks Ron. Color in the photo shows darker than real life. I've just discovered where to find the paint name without unscrewing the engine cover, but it's in the shop today having a couple things done!

"(Courtesy of Retman) - there is an easier way to find the paint name in a V8 Vantage. Remove the cover for the nav DVD player on the upper left hand side of the boot. There should be a sticker just above the DVD player with the name of the paint colour on it."
Update: It wasn't there, there is no DVD player in the boot. Instead I found it under my nose on page 1.6 of the Owner's Manual, under Provenance. The colour is Tungsten.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:03 AM
Aston502 will become famous soon enough
Nice tungsten silver Vantage, I'm partial to them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Back in the AM fold with a V8V roadster