Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

AM radio on V8V stopped working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 02:34 PM
einTier has a spectacular aura abouteinTier has a spectacular aura about
AM radio on V8V stopped working

Still trying to figure out how to fix this or where the problem might lie.

I have an 07 V8 Vantage. Sometime recently, I tried to access the AM radio to listen to a sports broadcast. Instead of the radio, I got silence. The radio did work previously and nothing was done to or with the car between that time and discovering the failure.

There isn't even any static, as I'd expect if the antenna was disconnected. It will scan through every station and not stop at any, so it's obviously not getting a signal. Anyone else encounter this problem?

FM still works, as does everything else. It's just the AM radio.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:51 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Your car sensed that it is 2014 and nobody should be listening to AM radio so it disabled itself.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:07 PM
einTier has a spectacular aura abouteinTier has a spectacular aura about
I kind of thought the same thing. I really don't need to listen to the radio, so it's not a big deal and I've not invested much time into it. However, I've been thinking that it should be working when I go to sell, so I might as well fix it now.

Besides, I hate when people just leave broken things broken.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:13 PM
bluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of light
I recall this being a known issue on the cars. My car had this problem when I got it, and it was fixed under the extended warranty. If I recall, the am module goes bad, and it's kinda expensive to fix. Maybe due to the labor to dig out the module??

I agree that am is mostly useless, however I still often listen to baseball broadcasts, so insisted that it get fixed.

I think if you search, there are a few threads on the am module subject

Old 04-30-2016, 07:50 PM
tnewland is on a distinguished road
Cool

Originally Posted by einTier
Still trying to figure out how to fix this or where the problem might lie.

I have an 07 V8 Vantage. Sometime recently, I tried to access the AM radio to listen to a sports broadcast. Instead of the radio, I got silence. The radio did work previously and nothing was done to or with the car between that time and discovering the failure.

There isn't even any static, as I'd expect if the antenna was disconnected. It will scan through every station and not stop at any, so it's obviously not getting a signal. Anyone else encounter this problem?

FM still works, as does everything else. It's just the AM radio.

Exact same problem with my 2015 GT roadster. This should have been sorted by now. If this is a Volvo part, could there be thousands of disgruntled Volvo owners? That should carry more weight that just a few hundred concerned Aston owners. This is not a hand-built car issue and should not exist in this day and age.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:42 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tnewland
Exact same problem with my 2015 GT roadster. This should have been sorted by now. If this is a Volvo part, could there be thousands of disgruntled Volvo owners? That should carry more weight that just a few hundred concerned Aston owners. This is not a hand-built car issue and should not exist in this day and age.
Actually it was fixed, instead of using a separate AM/FM module, it was incorporated into the head unit like most cars. Unfortunately if the AM concern goes off like the previous model issue..either it's just a module sync issue or possibly the head unit. I would start with a battery hard reset, especially if you might of noticed this issue after a flat battery(not saying it's the case but a common concern of systems that had a flat battery..modules go into a safe state and need to be waked up)

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 05-02-2016, 07:51 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by irish07
Actually it was fixed, instead of using a separate AM/FM module, it was incorporated into the head unit like most cars. Unfortunately if the AM concern goes off like the previous model issue..either it's just a module sync issue or possibly the head unit. I would start with a battery hard reset, especially if you might of noticed this issue after a flat battery(not saying it's the case but a common concern of systems that had a flat battery..modules go into a safe state and need to be waked up)
Irish,
What model year was the AM module incorporated into the head unit?

Old 05-02-2016, 08:48 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
2009..If the car has the newer style ski slope design, it will have the newer integrated audio module with am/fm module inside

Old 09-05-2016, 12:21 AM
Wink Update

It turns out that my AM radio band is not kaput. Apparently, it's just the very very low performance windshield antenna is the problem.
Recently on the way home while passing very near to the 50,000 watt KFI AM640 antenna close to the I5 freeway south of LA, I gave it another shot. And, voila, success! However, during the next 70 miles driving south, the signal faded to almost nothing by the time I parked it in the garage.
I got my initial impression shortly after buying the car and switching back and forth between FM and a known strong San Diego AM station. The FM was blasting while the AM was low level static. Live and learn!

Old 10-07-2016, 11:02 PM
Smile Update II

Originally Posted by tnewland
It turns out that my AM radio band is not kaput. Apparently, it's just the very very low performance windshield antenna is the problem.
Recently on the way home while passing very near to the 50,000 watt KFI AM640 antenna close to the I5 freeway south of LA, I gave it another shot. And, voila, success! However, during the next 70 miles driving south, the signal faded to almost nothing by the time I parked it in the garage.
I got my initial impression shortly after buying the car and switching back and forth between FM and a known strong San Diego AM station. The FM was blasting while the AM was low level static. Live and learn!
It turns out the embedded windshield antennas require amplifiers. One of mine had failed and was replaced during the recent one year service.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:09 AM
cpaulPHL is on a distinguished road
Has anyone actually replaced the AM-FM module on their own? From what I can see on the parts diagrams for my 2007 V8V, the module is in the back right side of the boot/trunk area. Not sure if this is the same location for the Roadster. Thanks in advance!