Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Stupid to buy an AM Vantage GT 2015? End of the Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 10:15 AM
ChiTownM is on a distinguished road
I have been on the fence for 18 months and DD an e92 M3 which is bare bones. I did change the exhaust for a bit more sound. The car is fun to drive and has back seats which I need every now and then with 2 little ones in boosters. One of the reasons I have been holding back on buying the V8 is the lack of rear seats for that emergency when I am going to pick them up on my way on an ad hoc basis. I am NOT planning on selling the M3 since it is the only V8 M3. The reason I like the Aston is the manual transmission and the design language of the traditional AMs.

All of you make fantastic comments (unfortunately) about the future classic setup of the Vantage. Prices seem to be ok right now, I understand 2009+ is more desirable.

I will follow this conversation and good luck to the OP. It seems that most people like their Vantage with some people struggling with the sport shift transmission.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:40 PM
niqui is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by black penguin
I drove it most days, but less than 2o miles a day. The driving was in the Toronto area. They are very easy to live with, PROVIDED you are used to driving exotics *I know this word is tainted), but it is not like a Porsche. They are designed for everyday life. They have a utilitarian side.

The Aston really does not have that, though I do know a guy that drives his through the winter in Toronto and my dealer claims people also drive their DBD's and Rapides. The front splitter is really low compared to the R8's and Porsches.

My Aston's have not been driven a lot, but they have been very reliable, more so than some of my Audi's. My car is out of warranty and it does not bother me in the least.

Maintence is $900 or so a year. Depreciation is the real cost of all these cars. That's whyI say buy used. It is possible to have a CRAZY 30k failure on an exotic, but you WILL have 30k in depreciation on a new car in the first year.

I have an aquaintance that was a mechanic on a V12 Aston race team. He said mechanically the cars are very strong, the big cost was body pannels etc. Race cars do a life time of driving in one season.

Trying to stay on top of the LATEST cars is a great way to go broke. You can spend 140k on a used exotic and be further ahead in three years if you do it right.

Buy what you love, they are almost always a bad way to spend money.
thanks for following - up

yeah, i agree with the "buy what you leave" theory and its correct.

But like the below poster wrote is kinda my dilemma - logic and reasoning say 991, AND as of lately thats the way i have been swinging. It is just smarter and fits me better. If anything, the 991 is winning because it is "less special" and will hold its value better so i can move on to the next thing easier. Since it isn't as precious, id be happy to daily drive it, slap snow studs on for the winter and wind it up. Im sure ill still take great care of it, but the AM, well its just too much - too awesome, if that makes sense...just too showy and "precious" for a young guy in my position - but thats what make me love it at the same time, and i feel like the 6spd, hand built v8 with Nurburgring colours can never be a bad buy... At least these are my musings of the past 48 hours... and then i come back on to this site and read all your guys' love for the AM and how it really can be made to work as a DD if you love it, and get all confused again....

Originally Posted by kensilver
It's been said here before in several ways: Buy what you love. Unfortunately we males have a condition that uses logic for reasoning and prevents us from getting what we really want because our accountant brain gets in the way.

None of my cars have ever been logical purchases. I've had 2 Bentley Continental GTs - a 2006 and a 2012 - and loved them both. I've enjoyed 5 Mercedes SL500/600 over 20 years and loved all of them, until the next one.

All were hugely impractical. To listen to 6speeders here talking about mechanical differences as the answer just makes me smile because I know that the true decision will be made on primal reasoning, our lizard brain.

Aston Martins grip your heartstrings and you never have to think why.
you hit the nail on the head,
as of late, the reason and logic department of my brain have been winning,
combined with the spicing up effect of the emotional department (ducktail aero kit, bright colours, 7mt, etc, things to make a 991 have some AM "specialness" - is what i have been searching for since Monday, to see if there is smtg P that gets me excited, short of a 170k gt3)

Originally Posted by ChiTownM
I have been on the fence for 18 months and DD an e92 M3 which is bare bones. I did change the exhaust for a bit more sound. The car is fun to drive and has back seats which I need every now and then with 2 little ones in boosters. One of the reasons I have been holding back on buying the V8 is the lack of rear seats for that emergency when I am going to pick them up on my way on an ad hoc basis. I am NOT planning on selling the M3 since it is the only V8 M3. The reason I like the Aston is the manual transmission and the design language of the traditional AMs.

All of you make fantastic comments (unfortunately) about the future classic setup of the Vantage. Prices seem to be ok right now, I understand 2009+ is more desirable.

I will follow this conversation and good luck to the OP. It seems that most people like their Vantage with some people struggling with the sport shift transmission.
Nice to see we come from the same car.

My e92 is catless, tuned, full-bolt on and lots of fun to drive, especially the wind up. I love the car, but i fear owning it in the long run. just had both throttle bodies changed this summer and i will trade it in against the 991 or AM - getting about 34,500 for it with the tax savings...which isn't much considering what it would cost me to replace the feeling of that car, but its more or less market, and having two rear wheel drive 400+hp cars in canada is stupid for me, haha.

yeah, i think any DD qualms really come from the SS tranny and the preciousness of the car and putting mileage on it? I really do wonder, if the new Vantage will make the current GT's as valueless as some dealers seem to say..."i wouldn't touch a vantage right now, you'll lose 70 k in three years, especially with mileage"--- but who knows....its in their interest to say it, even the AM dealer said it will be worth about 50% in three years, but unlike a smart buyer, i don't really buy cars on the basis of depreciated value.

Unlike you, i never use the rear seats (5 times in 5 years) and have nobody extra i really want to drive around (kids, etc)...

Old 10-29-2014, 08:17 AM
scottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura about
I think a good comparison is the V12V. If you look at the values of the past gen with its MT and non-adjustable suspension, slightly less HP, the cars seem to be holding fairly well. The new V12V is a great car, but the last gen seems to still have a lot of appeal to people.