Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Anyone knows how to take rear diffusor off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 09:17 PM
brianw is on a distinguished road
Anyone knows how to take rear diffusor off?

hey guys, I am wrapping my v8vs currently, but the technician guy is not able to take off some parts. one thing bothers me most is the rear diffusor. He says the only way to take it off is break it. Dose anyone know how to take it off? here is a picture of v8vs I get from internet shows the two diffusor panels I want to take off in order to wrap it.

these two blue panels right below the carbon fiber part.

thans alot

Old 11-12-2014, 09:34 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
It's a single piece, with 6 screws that hold it in. There are 4 screws in the center and a one screw at each end.

You might want to consider taking the car somewhere else if the person who's going to do the work is talking about "breaking off" that part.

Last edited by terminal_ac; 11-12-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by terminal_ac
It's a single piece, with 6 screws that hold it in. There are 4 screws in the center and a one screw at each end.

You might want to consider taking the car somewhere else if the person who's going to do the work is talking about "breaking off" that part.
Thats it? 6 screws? it sounds easy to do it

Old 11-12-2014, 10:45 PM
midwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud of

Goodness do I agree with this. If ANY place I ever took my Aston said they needed to break ANYTHING to get it off, I'd roar my engine to life and leave the longest elevenses in their drive they've ever seen.

Just reading that sent shivers down my spine

Old 11-12-2014, 10:48 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Hmm. I would worry about any technician/installer who claims that the only way to remove a part us to break it. The airfoil is held in place by 8 screws as mentioned. The diffuser is actually held in place by a combination of about 10 screws and 20 clips. In order to remove the diffuser, you have to remove the wheels, wheel well liners, under tray, taillights and the entire rear bumper.

Make sure you trust the person to do this job.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Hmm. I would worry about any technician/installer who claims that the only way to remove a part us to break it. The airfoil is held in place by 8 screws as mentioned. The diffuser is actually held in place by a combination of about 10 screws and 20 clips. In order to remove the diffuser, you have to remove the wheels, wheel well liners, under tray, taillights and the entire rear bumper.

OK... now it doesn't sound good.. I guess I will just leave this part for now.
blue car with black diffuser.. i can live with that

Old 11-12-2014, 11:21 PM

BTW, thanks for this very helpful information

Old 11-13-2014, 09:14 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Just to be clear, the diffuser is the carbon fiber part attached to the bumper. The airfoil is the blue wing below it and it is made in one piece, not two as you mentioned in your original post.

Cheers

Old 11-13-2014, 10:18 AM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
A little confusion though. The Carbon Fiber piece is also called a Diffuser. The lower airfoil is also called a Diffuser, but it's full name is "Diffuser rear Blade". I just bought a new one and will have it painted to my spec.

Last edited by terminal_ac; 11-13-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:13 AM
Just to be clear, the diffuser is the carbon fiber part attached to the bumper. The airfoil is the blue wing below it and it is made in one piece, not two as you mentioned in your original post.

Cheers
sorry for my poor english man.. Im still learning it..so that blue part below the carbon fiber thing is called airfoil.. do you have idea how to take it off? or just as u mentioned before u have to take everything off first?

Old 11-13-2014, 11:16 AM
A little confusion though. The Carbon Fiber piece is also called a Diffuser. The lower airfoil is also called a Diffuser, but it's full name is "Diffuser rear Blade". I just bought a new one and will have it painted to my spec.
since u bought a new one and about to put it on.. u have any idea how to take if off?

Old 11-13-2014, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by brianw
since u bought a new one and about to put it on.. u have any idea how to take if off?
The four screws in the middle appear easy. You can see them through the lower rear mesh. You should be able to reach around under the rear bumper and get at them since that space area should be accessible.

It's the screws at the extreme ends that I'm not sure about. However, it appears that you may need to simply remove the wheels and remove the inner wheel linings so that you can get to the two remaining screws.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:30 AM
The four screws in the middle appear easy. You can see them through the lower rear mesh. You should be able to reach around under the rear bumper and get at them since that space area should be accessible.

It's the screws at the extreme ends that I'm not sure about. However, it appears that you may need to simply remove the wheels and remove the inner wheel linings so that you can get to the two remaining screws.
thanks for the information. really appreciate it

Old 11-13-2014, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by brianw
thanks for the information. really appreciate it
No problemo.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:59 AM
I've taken off the airfoil numerous times without much trouble. You don't even need to raise the car on a lift or floor jack. I just lay on my back and reach up from the gap between the muffler and the airfoil. Using a 10mm flex head GearWrench I can reach all 8 nuts and remove them. The two that are on the sides near the exhaust tips are a bit of a reach, but still pretty easy.

Again, I wouldn't have anyone who is not familiar with my car or at least has access to both the workshop and parts manual from trying to disassemble my car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone knows how to take rear diffusor off?