Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Fuel Filler Door

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 01:28 PM
Madmikeybee is on a distinguished road
Fuel Filler Door

Hello. I have an '07 AM V8V. Has anyone experienced a sticking fuel filler door that won't open? If so, what did you do to fix it? My door only opens after repeatedly pushing the button a half a dozen times or more and sometimes it works the first time. Any help would be welcomed. Thanks.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:34 PM
pdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Madmikeybee
Hello. I have an '07 AM V8V. Has anyone experienced a sticking fuel filler door that won't open? If so, what did you do to fix it? My door only opens after repeatedly pushing the button a half a dozen times or more and sometimes it works the first time. Any help would be welcomed. Thanks.
It's a well-known problem. I have to use the emergency release in the trunk and push a credit card into the filler flap to open it. There's a recall on it - I got mine done by the dealership, and it lasted for two fill-ups before jamming again. Not a big deal - just kind of embarrassing to go through the trunk release/credit card procedure at every gas station!

Old 06-02-2015, 02:10 PM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
G'Day

I have a 2009 V8V Coupe with no filler flap problems at all till the last service when they did the recall bit.
From then on I had the same symptoms as you have but I am quite stubborn and had the idea that there must be an easy solution. Guess what I foundt:
Next to the hinge is a kind of spring which is meant to open the flap but in my case it is to weak, so more power was needed. I in the depth of a bits and pieces box of my garage I found a rubber grommet (or some sort of plastic similar to rubber) which I fitted over the spring (tight fit preferred), this was enough to give the right strength to the spring and I am a happy veggie - no more embarrassment at petrol stations since my Wylie E. Coyote brains found the fix.

Happy filling up

Christian

Old 06-03-2015, 05:35 AM
Thanks to pdacton and GDay2 for your replies!
GDay2 - sounds pretty innovative! I'm familiar with the spring you are talking about. You just put the grommet around the spring? Perhaps a photo would be helpful? Thanks a million!
Regards,
Mike

Old 06-03-2015, 12:29 PM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
Hi Guys,

Here are the pictures, sorry for the lousy quality but the iPhone does not cope with the short distance I had to shot them.
This works on the filler door of the Coupe, due to the different construction of the Roadster door it will not work there.

The grommet I used (inner diameter about 12mm)
Name:  Grommet.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  99.6 KB

My finished contraption (push the tight fitting grommet past the first bend of the spring)
Name:  Installed.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  80.1 KB

Enjoy a working filler flap

Christian

Old 06-03-2015, 03:18 PM
Christian,

That's awesome! Thanks for the photos. I'll give that try for certain. Nice and a simple solution! Thanks again.

Regards,
Mike

Old 06-03-2015, 04:03 PM
I love the KISS principle

Old 06-03-2015, 06:36 PM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
Mine has stuck a couple of times , what I did was just push down on the flap gently then push the release and it opens every time .

Old 06-03-2015, 08:31 PM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Vantagelvr
Mine has stuck a couple of times , what I did was just push down on the flap gently then push the release and it opens every time .
Yeah I give mine two knocks and then press the button :P

Old 06-04-2015, 06:10 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
I have a 2007 Vantage Coupe as well. My fuel filler door would stick once in a while I've had the recall done and ever since everything's been fine.
Ron

Old 06-04-2015, 07:58 PM
AMCan will become famous soon enough
Just had the recall done on my 2014 V8V and it works great now.

Used the credit card trick for almost a year but even that was stating not to work. Emergency release didn't do anything either.

According to the work order there were two separate recall activities performed.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:00 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I guess this is something that has finally been fixed on newer cars. On my 2015, pressing the release button causes the lid to spring fully open with quite a bit of force.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:44 PM
Hi Christian,

Just wanted to let you know that I tried your suggestion and it works a treat! Thanks!!

Cheers!

Mike

Old 06-09-2015, 11:43 PM
Great that I could help.

Enjoy the beautiful car.

Christian