Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

'04 DB9 Carbon Ceramic Brakes upgrade: caliper color?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 05:20 AM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold

I've dekitted my 6-pot Brembo 398mm Carbon Ceramic brake set a while back from my daily driver with the intention to get it fitted to my DB9. Apart from the awesome stopping power the improved handling was something I really noticed in particular and got used to as well. On top of that the looks of these rotors and calipers are great as well.

These 398mm rotors (widely used on any performance car in the industry) are usually fitted in 20" rims. I however wanted to keep the DB9's OEM 19" rims since I think these are the best lookers.

I knew it would be a tight fit but with custom carrier-brackets machined and a slight shaving on the calipers' outside I ended up with a 1mm play between caliper and rim-bed, as well as a 1mm play between rotor and caliper.

I've already ordered the aston martin decals (in white) from the company mentioned in this thread. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...on-decals.html I've been considering yellow calipers (looks well on a blue car) but since the DB9 is a GT and not a sportscar as the Vantage is, I've decided to go for the Anthracite Calipers color (2nd from right in below picture taken from the accessories brochure http://www.astonmartin.com/en/live/brochures)

Does anybody happen to know the colour code for these calipers?

Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2015, 05:22 AM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
work in progress..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150606_152227.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	388.5 KB
ID:	422111   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150606_153822.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	309.6 KB
ID:	422112  
Old 06-14-2015, 07:01 PM
MRY
MRY is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sdekoning
work in progress..
I think you have the calipers mounted on the opposite sides. If the close up of the caliper is the right front wheel, then they are on opposite sides.

The reason is that the bleed ports should be pointed up to the top of the wings..

Old 06-14-2015, 07:09 PM
Spotted accordingly

Reason is that I had to shave both calipers to the desired size which I did on one side of the vehicle only. I took the picture with the LH-side caliper fitted on the RH-side; hence upside down.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:26 PM
anton28 will become famous soon enough
Love this project! What car did these calipers and rotots originaly come from? Funny I took my CCB off my dbs in trade of steel rotots because of not being able to get rid of the horrible horrible squick and you are going the other way

Old 06-15-2015, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by anton28
Love this project! What car did these calipers and rotots originaly come from? Funny I took my CCB off my dbs in trade of steel rotots because of not being able to get rid of the horrible horrible squick and you are going the other way
I remember now it was you that took them of your car!

I bought mine a year or 2 back from a guy that had them fitted to his Audi R8. I then installed them on my A5 3.0TDI and drove them for around a year. Due to some aggressive wheel cleaner (i guess) one of the discs started eating-up its brakepad so I dekitted the set. I then bought the DB9 and with the rotors soon to be reconditioned in Germany and new PAGID pads purchased, they'll be enjoying a new life on the DB9.

I've never had any issue with brake squeal whatsoever. I've read about it very often indeed but with the Pagid Pads have never experienced such.

With Audi's PCD at 5x112 and Aston's at 5x114.3 I needed to mend the hub slightly (grooved holes). With a custom-made spacer with a centric-spigot the rotor is perfectly centered onto the hub. I've also used longer wheel studs (1/2" longer) to allow enough thread for the OEM nuts.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:48 AM
I remember now it was you that took them of your car!

I bought mine a year or 2 back from a guy that had them fitted to his Audi R8. I then installed them on my A5 3.0TDI and drove them for around a year. Due to some aggressive wheel cleaner (i guess) one of the discs started eating-up its brakepad so I dekitted the set. I then bought the DB9 and with the rotors soon to be reconditioned in Germany and new PAGID pads purchased, they'll be enjoying a new life on the DB9.

I've never had any issue with brake squeal whatsoever. I've read about it very often indeed but with the Pagid Pads have never experienced such.

With Audi's PCD at 5x112 and Aston's at 5x114.3 I needed to mend the hub slightly (grooved holes). With a custom-made spacer with a centric-spigot the rotor is perfectly centered onto the hub. I've also used longer wheel studs (1/2" longer) to allow enough thread for the OEM nuts.
I'll look in to Pagid pads. Who did the reconditioning of the rotots? With Your carbon brake parts coming off another car, did you have custom rotor hats made for the Aston?

Old 06-15-2015, 05:35 AM
I'll look in to Pagid pads. Who did the reconditioning of the rotots? With Your carbon brake parts coming off another car, did you have custom rotor hats made for the Aston?
The Pagids are great. They stick greatly to the pistons which prevents the squeal which is often caused by the pad not freeing fully from the disc.

I did the reconditioning here: http://www.ceramicdiscrefurbishment.com/refurbishment These guys are top notch! highly recommended. Speak with Mr. Wolfgang Dietz (no affiliation with him nor the company).

I machined custom spacers for my Audi-hat: my initial attempt proved not working for the simple fact that the rotor wasn't "as far inside as desired" (to clear the rimbed. I then deleted the OEM backing-plate (behind the OEM rotor) as well as using a different aluminium anodized hat which gave me an extra 3/4" to further move the rotor in. I will make custom backing plate's with brake-cooling ducts later. With 1/2" spacer added between rotor and mating surface of the OEM rim this setup did the trick: rotor runs clear from the rimbed.

Below pictures of the initial attempt with the custom spacers/hub machined which is now rubbish.. The last picture show the custom caliper carriers I'll be using.

Attached Images      
Old 06-15-2015, 01:26 PM
The Pagids are great. They stick greatly to the pistons which prevents the squeal which is often caused by the pad not freeing fully from the disc.

I did the reconditioning here: http://www.ceramicdiscrefurbishment.com/refurbishment These guys are top notch! highly recommended. Speak with Mr. Wolfgang Dietz (no affiliation with him nor the company).

I machined custom spacers for my Audi-hat: my initial attempt proved not working for the simple fact that the rotor wasn't "as far inside as desired" (to clear the rimbed. I then deleted the OEM backing-plate (behind the OEM rotor) as well as using a different aluminium anodized hat which gave me an extra 3/4" to further move the rotor in. I will make custom backing plate's with brake-cooling ducts later. With 1/2" spacer added between rotor and mating surface of the OEM rim this setup did the trick: rotor runs clear from the rimbed.

Below pictures of the initial attempt with the custom spacers/hub machined which is now rubbish.. The last picture show the custom caliper carriers I'll be using.
Now this is what im talking about! My kind of modding! Im sure you saw my suspension thread, love making stuff like this work. Great job man! I ended up sending my front and rear rotors to RB-Brakes, they laser scanned the units and made me new hats that would fit their rotors but your DIY way works just the same.

Ill check in with you in a month or so too see how your carbon set up is holding up after being refurbished and running Pagid pads. If you are still in the clear with no squeaking I'm going to give this a try and put my CCB back on with fingers crossed

Old 06-15-2015, 06:45 PM
Now this is what im talking about! My kind of modding! Im sure you saw my suspension thread, love making stuff like this work. Great job man! I ended up sending my front and rear rotors to RB-Brakes, they laser scanned the units and made me new hats that would fit their rotors but your DIY way works just the same.

Ill check in with you in a month or so too see how your carbon set up is holding up after being refurbished and running Pagid pads. If you are still in the clear with no squeaking I'm going to give this a try and put my CCB back on with fingers crossed
I saw your suspension modification which is a great alternative to the H&R's indeed. I got the H&R's fitted myself and unlike others I'm pretty positive on the ride quality they offer. Needless to say that if I decide to switch back to the standard setup I'll opt for your 'groove' solution instead. The H&R's stance is just brilliant.

I'll let you know how we go on the CCB setup. Below picture shows the squeal-free pads I've been using on the Brembo 6-pots while fitted on my Audi. I'm pretty sure you can get this compound to fit your Brembo DBS-styled calipers.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140520_222706.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	812.2 KB
ID:	422233  
Old 06-15-2015, 07:16 PM
I saw your suspension modification which is a great alternative to the H&R's indeed. I got the H&R's fitted myself and unlike others I'm pretty positive on the ride quality they offer. Needless to say that if I decide to switch back to the standard setup I'll opt for your 'groove' solution instead. The H&R's stance is just brilliant.

I'll let you know how we go on the CCB setup. Below picture shows the squeal-free pads I've been using on the Brembo 6-pots while fitted on my Audi. I'm pretty sure you can get this compound to fit your Brembo DBS-styled calipers.
These pads are OEM, im confused lol i though you were using Pagid pads?

Old 06-15-2015, 07:19 PM
The OEM-pads are essentially Pagids: Audi/VAG just re-branded these with their own numbers. Left topcorner shows the P40 3V which is the PAGID no.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:21 PM
The OEM-pads are essentially Pagids: Audi/VAG just re-branded these with their own numbers. Left topcorner shows the P40 3V which is the PAGID no.

Good to know! Ill reach out to them and have them cross reference my application. I wonder who makes my DBS factory pads......

Old 06-16-2015, 11:04 AM
CoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really nice
What Audi did those carbon ceramics come off of? I think my RS6 has 365mm (steel) rotors; those look huge!

I vote for silver or gray calipers; I think they look very classy and I'm personally a big fan of Aston's understated elegance; red/yellow/blue calipers would draw too much attention considering the sheer size of the calipers in the wheel well. This looks good as-is!

Last edited by CoreyC2S; 06-16-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:44 PM
I agree. Nothing to bling. Even black with white aston logo would look very nice!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '04 DB9 Carbon Ceramic Brakes upgrade: caliper color?