Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

installed a Tablet into the Aston?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 09:34 PM
00aston is on a distinguished road
installed a Tablet into the Aston?

I'm looking at starting a project that replaces the current nav screen with a tablet connected to a rear camera and multiple USB devices.
Music, navigation and apps seem worth the effort.

Parts list so far are as follows:
-tablet device that fits (Nexus 7 may or the Sony Xpheria Lite)
-90 degree headphone jack
-90 degree micro usb
-USB OTG
-USB DAC
-UVC video capture device (for the camera)
-rear camera

few other small bits and pieces here and there

The main challenge is fitting the tablet to the pop up screen.

Initially I was going to replace the screen with an Alpine monitor that fits perfectly but unfortunately that line was discontinued last year.

So here it is.

Anyone with any feedback on fixing the tablet to the pop up screen, feel free to chime in.

Will keep you all posted on the progress.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:53 PM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 00aston
I'm looking at starting a project that replaces the current nav screen with a tablet connected to a rear camera and multiple USB devices.
Music, navigation and apps seem worth the effort.

Parts list so far are as follows:
-tablet device that fits (Nexus 7 may or the Sony Xpheria Lite)
-90 degree headphone jack
-90 degree micro usb
-USB OTG
-USB DAC
-UVC video capture device (for the camera)
-rear camera

few other small bits and pieces here and there

The main challenge is fitting the tablet to the pop up screen.

Initially I was going to replace the screen with an Alpine monitor that fits perfectly but unfortunately that line was discontinued last year.

So here it is.

Anyone with any feedback on fixing the tablet to the pop up screen, feel free to chime in.

Will keep you all posted on the progress.
Interesting; I've been toying with the same idea, although I do not need bells & whistles such as music streaming, rear-camera etc. I'm thinking more of a slick 3D NAVSAT system only. I think though that the Nexus7 is not going to fit given the fact that you can fit max W = 170 x H = 100 mm (the nexus7 is larger).

Triggering the Navscreen to 'open' is no issue but once it's open how do you plan to close it during driving, if you want to do so? I guess that won't be possible since you cannot interface the 'shut-down' function in your current system. In order to close-it again you have to switch-off the car to have it closing again.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:29 AM
Ellipsis is on a distinguished road
Something like this is cool:

Old 09-03-2015, 11:26 AM
911MTB will become famous soon enough
I Like it!

Old 09-03-2015, 09:10 PM
anton28 will become famous soon enough
Funny I wrote a thread about the same thing about a month ago. Just curious, which alpine monitor are you referring too that's discontinued. Whats the part number?

Old 09-03-2015, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ellipsis
Something like this is cool:
iPod touch Aston Martin install - YouTube
Super cool!

Old 09-04-2015, 10:03 AM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
Great mod indeed, but I do not get why you would 'mirror' your tablet if you could put it there in the first place.

I think that Garmin has a great option for the older cars: http://www.garmin.com.sg/products/on...lm/#featureTab features a screen that fits perfectly: with a 6.6" width (167.65mm) and 3.7" height (93.98mm) it falls nicely within the 170mm x 100mm square 'space' available.

All you need to do is connect a 12V powersource which will wake-up on start-up. Also, a custom bracket needs to be made so that you can easily take the unit out if required.

Best is though that a WiFi rear camera [Garmin's BC™ 30 wireless backup camera] can be installed, as well as a TPMS kit!! [Garmin GTP 400KIT]

What more could you wish for?

Attached Images    
Old 09-04-2015, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by sdekoning
Great mod indeed, but I do not get why you would 'mirror' your tablet if you could put it there in the first place.

I think that Garmin has a great option for the older cars: http://www.garmin.com.sg/products/on...lm/#featureTab features a screen that fits perfectly: with a 6.6" width (167.65mm) and 3.7" height (93.98mm) it falls nicely within the 170mm x 100mm square 'space' available.

All you need to do is connect a 12V powersource which will wake-up on start-up. Also, a custom bracket needs to be made so that you can easily take the unit out if required.

Best is though that a WiFi rear camera [Garmin's BC™ 30 wireless backup camera] can be installed, as well as a TPMS kit!! [Garmin GTP 400KIT]

What more could you wish for?
This won't really work as you have to reach and push on the screen to scroll through the garmin functions. The reason to mirror is so you can use you phone/iPhone to control the functions on the screen.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by anton28
This won't really work as you have to reach and push on the screen to scroll through the garmin functions. The reason to mirror is so you can use you phone/iPhone to control the functions on the screen.
Agree, partially..

Yes; if you go for a full functioning Media device such as a tablet it'll be handier to have the main device within normal reach. For Navigation, Reverse Camera (auto-triggered when you are reversing) and TPMS only (which would require reaching out) i think the Garmin (or similar systems) would be a cleaner system.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:38 AM
What would be best and simplest is

-basic screen or app stereo
-mirroring device
-rear camera hook up

This will turn your cell phone in to your onboard computer for music, nav etc

Old 09-05-2015, 04:52 PM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
What would be best and simplest is -basic screen or app stereo -mirroring device -rear camera hook up This will turn your cell phone in to your onboard computer for music, nav etc
Google mirabox. Have this in all my double din. All you would need is add module to make a video/audio from tue oem screen. With BMW very easy but haven't seen that in Aston yet.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:11 AM
What would be best and simplest is

-basic screen or app stereo
-mirroring device
-rear camera hook up

This will turn your cell phone in to your onboard computer for music, nav etc
agree, and you'll retain the OEM look.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:00 PM
got one will become famous soon enough
Interesting...the
Amazon.com: Car Wifi Mirabox, Wireless Airplay, Miracast, Allshare Cast, Screen Mirroring for Smart Phones, RCA Output for Car Video: Electronics Amazon.com: Car Wifi Mirabox, Wireless Airplay, Miracast, Allshare Cast, Screen Mirroring for Smart Phones, RCA Output for Car Video: Electronics
seems like a good price. Would you go wireless or wired though? I would think go with the Wifi version then have a cable input just in case? Thoughts?

Also, wonder where you would install the box and how it would play audio with the screen down...or would it?

Old 11-11-2015, 04:36 AM
@topic starter 00aston: any update to share on progress?

Old 11-11-2015, 04:46 AM
00aston is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sdekoning
@topic starter 00aston: any update to share on progress?
No progress so far. Still sourcing a screen to fit that space nicely. My attention also got diverted by wheels and some maintenance that was due.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: installed a Tablet into the Aston?