Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Jaguar F Type

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 08:01 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by IbisRider
And not all styling tweaks to the Vantage since its debut have been bad. Removing the antenna was nice. The S rockers are very nice. The S front end and diffuser are both nice. I personally like the duck tail but I can accept that the original was a more pure form. I'm not even sure what one could call "blingy" about any of the new bits.
I would call the S rockers and front end, carbon addenda (example, rear diffuser) of the Vantage range and the creases and squinty headlight of the revised DB9 and new Vanquish blingy compared to the 2004/5 DB9/Vantage originals. That doesn't mean I dislike them... I think bling has its place in moderation. But what I am saying is that the design purity of the original cars has been lost, and I appreciated that for its minimalism and elegance. As for the duck tail, no bling there, just function IMO.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:02 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Why clumsy F- type styling

I believe the design issue you have uncovered above (Sleestak & IbisRider) is accommodation of the European Pedestrian Protection Regulation. Among other things, this reg requires 2" of space between the hood/bonnet and the first hard surface below. (This is not the actual wording, but it is how it was explained).

When the Vantage, DB9 and first XK were designed, 12 years ago or more, there was no ped reg, not even on the horizon. But when the F- type was designed, this reg ruled.

Pedestrian protection is controlling not only styling but also hardware function. Hoods now open at the windshield base of the XK and F-type and the last of the XKs have an explosive device at the latch end to lift the hood upon impact (similar to air bag). Maybe the F-type has a similar system, I don't know?

The DB10 (the future Vantage?) will also have to accommodate the ped reg. Our sweet, low hood height design for the last 10-11 years is threatened. Look for a clever resolution from AM.