Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Scratch that itch - X Pipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 07:12 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Scratch that itch - X Pipe

Ok so I've convinced myself that since I have a V12 I want to hear a V12. Right now I'm hearing two straight 6's. I believe it will be a bit higher pitch but I'm ok with that - I think. Can anyone point me towards videos with clear audio on an x-pipe equipped Aston V12?

Of those of you that have installed an x-pipe which brand? Right now I'm leaning towards the Fabspeed.

Ok I'm an idiot. Didn't look five threads down on the forum.

Last edited by Old phart; 09-26-2015 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:08 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
You are correct, x-pipe on a V12 will make it sounds like a banshee at high rpms. It will sound much more like the one-77 but higher pitched still due to the engines smaller displacement.

I am still trying to find a company that does a hig flow X-pipe for the V12 vantage but it appears nobody does so I may have to go a custom route.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:50 PM
sierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nice
I'm wanting to do an x-pipe as well, with the exhaust valves deactivated the sound is great but I think the x-pipe will add a little more.

I'm not positive but I believe the DB9 x-pipe Fabspeed sells will work on the DBS and V12 Vantage. Can anyone confirm?

Old 09-26-2015, 05:18 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
They make one for the Rapide, but I believe that is different than the DB9/Vantage

Old 09-26-2015, 10:43 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
I have the Fabspeed Xpipe on my DB9 and I'm using muffler delete pipes now from Stewart. Sounds fantastic! The X pipe quiets it down quite a bit, so much so that I didn't like how quiet it was even with my very aggressive RSC Supersport back box installed. So I pulled off the muffler and fired it up.. Perfect. Stewart then hooked me up with the muffler delete pipes and I'm set. The car feels like I've picked up 50hp and sounds amazing (imo). The Fabspeed Xpipe will work on a dbs.. Not sure about v12v.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:54 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
A few pictures

Click image for larger version

Name:	rps20150926_235145.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	749.3 KB
ID:	429179

Name:	rps20150926_234941.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	647.2 KB
ID:	429180

Name:	rps20150926_234906.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	777.7 KB
ID:	429181

Old 09-27-2015, 11:33 AM
Wow, X-pipe with no muffler?! Ballsy haha. Kudos!, you must have dropped a good 50-60lbs. Sound clips please

X-pipe does quiet down the exhaust because the exhaust pulses cancel each other out. But it also makes it sound much smoother and higher pitched because of that. X-pipe drastically improves scavenging so it's always great for HP.

I plan on doing something custom as all the existing X-pipes on the market immediate crimp down to down to 2.5" after the header flange. I want to keep it the full 2.75" all the way until after the X-pipe then use velocity cone transitions. This will increase HP gains even more and also help make it louder. The cross sectional area of the actual X-pipe will be significantly larger too for even more air flow and the conical reducers will improve gas velocity even further.

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 09-27-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:55 PM
Yeah..It was really a "hail mary" for me as I couldn't quite get the "perfect" sound I was looking for. I had the Xpipe first but like I said, I didn't like how quiet the car was even with my RSC exhaust. So I reached out to Stewart at Velocity and we decided to try removing the Xpipe and trying some straight pipes in place of the secondary cats. That was WAY to aggressive in my opinion. Very raspy and just flat out obnoxious I thought. There was a big increase in power and throttle response when I installed the Xpipe in place of the cats so reinstalling them was simply not an option. Then stewart suggested the muffler delete pipes so I pulled the muffler off to give it a try and I really liked it.

Here is a link to a video I did with no muffler installed (with XPIPE). It basically sounds the same now with the Velocity muffler delete pipes installed.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:39 PM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
[QUOTE=007 Vantage;4405875]You are correct, x-pipe on a V12 will make it sounds like a banshee at high rpms. It will sound much more like the one-77 but higher pitched still due to the engines smaller displacement.

My DB 9 has a Fabspeed "X" pipe with a quicksilver super-sport exhaust. The local Lead Aston Tech made the same ONE 77 comment when the seat recall was done. He started it inside the bays and let it idle a bit, said it was the closest he'd ever heard to a One 77. Attached is a quick cell ph Vid. It was done at less than 4000 RPM- Need to respect the neighbors!! Pitch is not really high on mine even at higher RPMS. It gets allot of compliments.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
db9.MOV (1.94 MB, 441 views)
Old 09-28-2015, 05:25 PM
drivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by speedracer800
Speedracer800, I have a AM MY2005 DB9 with standard shift currently running the original stock exhaust. Could you please tell me the part numbers for these muffler delete pipes you aquired from Velocity and how much they cost? I looked on-line and couldn't find them. I'm planning on installing Velocity Headers, Fabspeed "X" Pipe and these muffler delete pipes if I can find them...

Regards,

drivergmx

Last edited by drivergmx; 09-28-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:31 PM
Headers with straight pipe exhaust might be overkill. Headers make by far the biggest difference in sound and it might be too much without some sort of muffling capacity (even with the X-pipe).

Old 09-29-2015, 12:02 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
You are correct, x-pipe on a V12 will make it sounds like a banshee at high rpms. It will sound much more like the one-77 but higher pitched still due to the engines smaller displacement.

I am still trying to find a company that does a hig flow X-pipe for the V12 vantage but it appears nobody does so I may have to go a custom route.
We do.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 09-29-2015, 12:11 AM
drivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Headers with straight pipe exhaust might be overkill. Headers make by far the biggest difference in sound and it might be too much without some sort of muffling capacity (even with the X-pipe).
Agreed, Perhaps I should explain? At this point in time the full exhaust package is cost prohibitive, therefore I intend to do this in stages. Since I live in Northeasten Pennsylvania Fabspeed is about an hour South of my location. I've also spoken with thier reps at a recent car show where they represented several cars belonging to satisfied clients.

So Stage one of my plan was to install the "X" Pipe and a set of High Flow Intake filters. Stage two was to replace the muffler with either a Quick Silver Sport or something on par with that. Stage three was to install Headers and remap the ECU.

That was before I learned of the Muffler Bypass pipes and modified my plan. Now for stage one I'd like to install the "X" Pipe, High Flow Filters and Muffler Bypass Pipes. Then when the money is available add the Headers and replace the Muffler Bypass Pipes with a Sport Muffler and remap the ECU...

But you know what they say...? A battle plan is great until the first shot is fired right? It all comes down to discretionary capital

Old 09-29-2015, 10:40 AM
AM v12v is on a distinguished road
X pipe plus muffler delete? is it crazy loud?

Old 09-29-2015, 10:55 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AM v12v
X pipe plus muffler delete? is it crazy loud?
On a V12 engined car, decat pipes plus muffler delete is not ridiculously loud, pretty tasty but not way over the top. When you add in an X-Pipe, it actually quietens down the exhaust note a little bit, so the combination of the 3 is actually a pretty pleasant route to go.

Remember that these cars have a factory exhaust manifold that has 2 big 600 cell catalyst bricks on either side, so you still have a lot of effective silencing upstream, unlike on a V8.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Scratch that itch - X Pipe