Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Prevalence of front cover oil leaks V8V and DB9

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 01:42 PM
slkret123 will become famous soon enough
Prevalence of front cover oil leaks V8V and DB9

So I've been reading a bit about the "dreaded" front cover oil leak in the V8V engines. I've also found reports of the same issue on the V12 in the DB9. I understand that forums tend to over emphasize problems with cars. Having said that how prevalent is this problem? I find it odd that this same "problem" shows up in 2 completely different engines.
Steve

Old 04-16-2021, 07:36 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Just like any other engine, some leak some don't.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:58 PM
While that is true some leak sites are more common on a given engine. The front cover on the v8 and v12 engines seems to be that spot. All I'm asking is how common this is in those engines.

Steve

Old 04-16-2021, 06:23 PM
Hedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the rough
Hard to quantify but based upon,

a) my personal experience with a then low mileage ‘14 4.7
b) many years of following Aston specific boards and blogs
c) anecdotes regarding temporary dealer fixes (application of sealant) to avoid the necessary warranty work

I would say fairly common but less common than tail light condensation.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:00 PM
So, how effective was the sealant warranty dodge "fix"?

Steve

Old 04-16-2021, 07:13 PM
Hedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the rough
Effective for the remainder of my warranty evidently. I was unaware of any leak issue while under warranty and subsequently paid out-of-pocket for the full Monty at an indie that noted evidence of the half-*** “fix”. As you may know the labor involved pushes the cost over $3K, but some folks on here have tackled the job DIY.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:49 PM
Mike Gray will become famous soon enough
I assume you have seen this thread re: oil leaks on our cars: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...l-leaks-2.html

My experience with my 2013 V8V 6MT is post #35. With this being a later car with low mileage, no abuse and perfect maintenance, I thought I'd dodge this bullet. Sadly, I was mistaken. I detest fluid leaks!!

Old 04-16-2021, 07:51 PM
That's a sh**ty deal by AM.

Steve

Old 04-17-2021, 12:13 PM
V12Stealth is an unknown quantity at this point
Any engine leak on a well built (unworn out) engine are caused primarily by three reasons;

1) Lack of use. Seals dry up and rot. Frequent dry starts damage lip seals like front and rear main seals. So cars with low mileage will have these issues. If you buy a 10 year old car with 10k miles on it. That thing is a ticking leak bomb!
2) PCV issues causing excess pressure in the crank case will cause seals to leak as well.
3) Infrequent oil changes, or leaving old oil during storage periods. Engine oil becomes acidic over time and if you leave old oil over storage periods, that oil will eat at seals.

A lot of these cars are just toys for people with many toys and as such they don't get used or serviced often.

Pro Tip. Use your car weekly. Change the oil regardless of mileage before winter storage. Fix PCV issues before they cause more serious issues!

Last edited by V12Stealth; 04-17-2021 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:38 PM
Good advice....but, just as a point of reference, none of that applies to my one-owner, very well maintained & driven 4.7 Vantage.

Old 04-17-2021, 12:38 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
tiny oil leaks, drips, aren't the end of the world... piece of cardboard under the engine, periodically clean the undertray...

Why all the fuss and concern? steady leak, sure but few drips?

Old 04-17-2021, 12:44 PM
sf911c2 has a spectacular aura aboutsf911c2 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by slkret123
So I've been reading a bit about the "dreaded" front cover oil leak in the V8V engines. I've also found reports of the same issue on the V12 in the DB9. I understand that forums tend to over emphasize problems with cars. Having said that how prevalent is this problem? I find it odd that this same "problem" shows up in 2 completely different engines.
Steve
I had this issue on my 2013 v8v and dealer fixed under warranty. My car had 10k miles and was 4 years old at the time. The car was maintained by 1st owner and I only had the car 1 yr when found leaking by the tech (not sure when it started). My service tech said it probably affects ~10% of cars and he does 1 or 2 V8's leak fixes per year. It does seem random and can happen at low or high mileage. It is a very expensive fix ~$4k since you remove the whole front end of the car (not so on v12 though). I don't have a reference on how many v12's...Good luck...

Last edited by sf911c2; 04-17-2021 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:58 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by V12Stealth
Any engine leak on a well built (unworn out) engine are caused primarily by three reasons;

1) Lack of use. Seals dry up and rot. Frequent dry starts damage lip seals like front and rear main seals. So cars with low mileage will have these issues. If you buy a 10 year old car with 10k miles on it. That thing is a ticking leak bomb!
2) PCV issues causing excess pressure in the crank case will cause seals to leak as well.
3) Infrequent oil changes, or leaving old oil during storage periods. Engine oil becomes acidic over time and if you leave old oil over storage periods, that oil will eat at seals.

A lot of these cars are just toys for people with many toys and as such they don't get used or serviced often.

Pro Tip. Use your car weekly. Change the oil regardless of mileage before winter storage. Fix PCV issues before they cause more serious issues!
4) Material/gasket design issues that were not exposed in the manufacturer's development process, hence the warranty repair. Aston, Ford, Subaru, Porsche, Mercedes the list goes on. So many manufacturers have had issues with oil seal gasket design...

Last edited by blue2000s; 04-21-2021 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:28 PM
Bones 53 is on a distinguished road
I have to agree with blue2000s response. Had the issue on my 2012 V12 Vantage...covered by extended warranty.
My car did not suffer from lack of use...nor poor maintenance.

Thanks,
JH

Old 04-26-2021, 02:24 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Eventually all engines leak if they live ling enough.Not many 10-15 year old cars aren't seeping something, somewhere.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Prevalence of front cover oil leaks V8V and DB9