Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2007 DB9 Volante poor ride quality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 02:40 PM
BraBiz is on a distinguished road
2007 DB9 Volante poor ride quality

2007 with 17,000 miles. Changed the Bridgestones to PSS and lowered tire pressure. Still shakes and rattles over slightest bump. AM dealership say "track tires", suspension looks fine. Impossible to be this bad. Can the problem be bushings? Would the recall of front control arm have anything to do with ride quality? How do I find out if car had the recall done? I'm 3rd owner.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:57 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
IIRC, several people have posted on here that PSS tires give the DB9 a harsh ride.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:11 PM
Amazing, this blog is why I put them on, I read the PSS only way to go. Any suggestions of another brand to try? This is my daily driver. Thanks.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:13 PM
Anyone tried the AirREX suspension upgrade?

Old 11-03-2015, 03:22 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BraBiz
Amazing, this blog is why I put them on, I read the PSS only way to go. Any suggestions of another brand to try? This is my daily driver. Thanks.
This post kinda sums it up:

Originally Posted by JuanP
I have a 2012 Virage which came stock with Pirelli's. When I first needed tires I asked my SA (Lucien in Marin) about whether to stay with Pirelli's or go with the PSS (which is all I used on my BMW). His recommendation was to stick with the Pirelli's based on direct customer feedback. He stated that Vantage owners were happy with the switch to PSS, but most of the DB9 owners were not happy when they switched to PSS, and as a result most use the Pirelli's (if that was their stock tire).

I put about 12k miles a year on the car and have been happy with the Pirelli's. For wear, I was able to get almost 15k miles on the rears and 25k miles on the fronts.
From this thread, which has more about it:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...r-than-am.html

Old 11-03-2015, 04:45 PM
MRY
MRY is on a distinguished road
That's funny, I love my db9 Volante with Pss, and think the oe Bridgestone is too harsh a ride while being a softer tyre. The Pss rides so good that I can't wait to get rid of the Pirellis on the Fcar and put on a set of Pss...

Hopefully you get it sorted so you are happy.! 😀

B/R

Old 11-03-2015, 04:46 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by telum01
IIRC, several people have posted on here that PSS tires give the DB9 a harsh ride.
Pure poppycock. PSS are equally as good on a DB9 as on a Vantage. One guy quoting a service tech is merely hearsay. These are great tires compared to OEM.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:30 PM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
My 2007 DB 9 with stock 19" & PSS is a ride I'm very pleased with (@ psi 38R & 36F )-I'm second owner and have 29K. I also have a set of 20" w/Michelin Sports that are a distinctly different ride, much more firm. Has your car ever had full alignment? The dealer can run the VIN to see if yours was affected by the recall. Good luck- Hope you find the issue and get it worked out! You've got my interest. Please let us know.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Pure poppycock. PSS are equally as good on a DB9 as on a Vantage. One guy quoting a service tech is merely hearsay. These are great tires compared to OEM.
Hey, I'm glad to be wrong on this. I absolutely love the PSS tires on my V8V. If they're just as good on the DB9, then great. But I remember more than just one guy saying they didn't pair well.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:36 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I have pss on my vantage with 20" wheels, ride was much better until I replaced air with nitrogen, now it rides harsh, so in spring I'll likely go back to air.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:52 AM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Were the Pilot Super Sports installed ZP's (runflats)?

Old 11-05-2015, 02:09 PM
Check with tire guy, no, not run flats. Per this blog, I went to see Tom at Cross Avenue Automotive in Oakville. The guy is not pushy and took me out in 2009 Volante. Same exact hard and noisy ride. Hate to say it, my car was not as bad.

Been to 4 shops and AM dealership, all say "nothing wrong" with springs, struts/shocks. All focus on tires.

The ride is just not compatible with a daily driver. I'm more than willing to throw this car around, not treated with soft driving (fuse 22 removed). But this is just no fun, shaking 24/7.

I'm going to contact Bamford Rose in UK. There has to be a spring, shock set-up to make the car feel like it has some suspension. No wonder DB9's are sold after 3,000 miles.

I'll keep you posted if I find a solution. I'm sure every DB9 owner who can put ego aside will agree, the ride is horrible. I've had 911 C4S, SL65, M5. They all were easy to use as daily drivers.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:27 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry, my DB9 rides very good...no shakes, rattles or roll. It appears that Aston's are not for you.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:38 PM
Car is not for Canadian roads. Think that's the issue. Taking to Florida for the winter, roads there do not have to contend with winter.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:10 PM
Ride quality

Originally Posted by 07sportspack
My 2007 DB 9 with stock 19" & PSS is a ride I'm very pleased with (@ psi 38R & 36F )-I'm second owner and have 29K. I also have a set of 20" w/Michelin Sports that are a distinctly different ride, much more firm. Has your car ever had full alignment? The dealer can run the VIN to see if yours was affected by the recall. Good luck- Hope you find the issue and get it worked out! You've got my interest. Please let us know.
Hi. Brought car to Florida for winter, roads here much smoother than Toronto. Bought VelocityAP spring upgrade (they have so many goodies for AM, their brake kit is next). These are variable rate springs, lowers car about an inch. Not installed yet. Doing that once I get shocks recalibrated by Bilstein (15% softer). Going to be interesting. Think I might have a smoother ride and better handling. I'll get back to you once all done, sometime in January.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2007 DB9 Volante poor ride quality