Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

homelink garage door opener

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 05:56 PM
little nellie is on a distinguished road
homelink garage door opener

Anyone know how to turn off the power to the homelink garage door opener when the key is out of the ignition?

right now, with the key out, I can still open the garage door. If someone breaks into the car if park outside, they have access to the house. Seem like leaving the key to the house out were everyone can see.

thanks

Old 11-22-2015, 06:45 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Can't do it.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:59 PM
rats, that's not very safe..

Old 11-22-2015, 08:15 PM
Logannz is on a distinguished road
Seems like a fairly easy cable job, find switched power (behind the stereo is a good place to start) and run that up to the mirror. It won't be factory cabling but seems easy enough. A better way would be to track the power feed from the mirror (I assume homelink is in the mirror?) back to the fuse board and modify it there.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:56 PM
I like the idea of the fuse board. I been trying to find a wiring dia, but only able to find 2005 and nothing newer. Anyone know where I can get an more up to date version of the service manual?

thanks

Old 11-22-2015, 10:51 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Power to the homelink automatically shuts off about 5 minutes after you remove the key from the ignition. However, power is reapplied as soon as you open the driver door. If you want to test this, take the key out but remain sitting inside the car with the door closed. Wait a little over 5 minutes and then try to use the homelink. Of course, don't attempt this while your car is parked out in the sun or you'll know what all those kids and pets that idiots leave in locked cars experience.

Note, on some cars, you can even remove the key and leave the car door open and power will eventually cut off. You will know when this happens because the interior illumination will also shut off. It is the action of opening the door that re-establishes power. So, close the door and open it again to regain power to the mirror.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:07 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Doesn't solve the problem but I just installed an internet remote for my garage door this weekend. Can open and close from anywhere. And when the wife asks 'did you close the door' I can show her that indeed I did.

It also lets you set up so you get alerts when the door opens or closes. I suppose so you can then go to the remote cameras and watch the robbers make off with your stuff.

Chamberlain MYQ-G0201 MyQ-Garage Controls Your Garage Door Opener with Your Smartphone - Garage Automation Products - Amazon.com Chamberlain MYQ-G0201 MyQ-Garage Controls Your Garage Door Opener with Your Smartphone - Garage Automation Products - Amazon.com

Old 11-23-2015, 09:52 AM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Old phart
Doesn't solve the problem but I just installed an internet remote for my garage door this weekend. Can open and close from anywhere. And when the wife asks 'did you close the door' I can show her that indeed I did.

It also lets you set up so you get alerts when the door opens or closes. I suppose so you can then go to the remote cameras and watch the robbers make off with your stuff.

Chamberlain MYQ-G0201 MyQ-Garage Controls Your Garage Door Opener with Your Smartphone - Garage Automation Products - Amazon.com

Just installed one of these myself.. Great product. Can't tell you how many times I've turned around 5min after leaving the house to go back and make sure I closed the garage door.. Damn old age..

Old 11-23-2015, 11:10 AM
Karl,

it works.. I just splice into the homelink power and it shuts itself off after 5 min as you said. Looks like now I have power for the radar detector and DVR. Thanks

Old 11-23-2015, 11:31 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Happy to help.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:13 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Here's an easy answer for this whole problem with the garage door opener. Always put the car in the garage and close the garage door even if it's for just a few minutes
Ron