Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Cheap gas cap? Trying to fix Emissions message

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 08:25 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Cheap gas cap? Trying to fix Emissions message

So I have read on the forum a pretty good list of the things that can cause the Service Emissions System message I now have. (been on a week) Car runs fine otherwise. I'll go in end of the week to have my tech read the codes.

Meanwhile anyone know of a cost effective (cheapo Ford part?) gas cap that I could try out. So far I just see the AM $250 cap & filler neck assembly for sale. Don't want to buy that and find out its not needed. I have a 2006 so sounds like the most likely fault to check.

Thanks for any input!

Old 12-07-2015, 08:54 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Even if a cheaper option is $20..what's the point of throwing parts at it in hopes?..I mean, if you like throwing out money, I can pass you my paypal address to dump cash into freely! :-P ..j/k

Honestly...If the Emission's light is on, that means anyone with a OBDII scanner can read the codes and give a hint if a cap would be a great idea or not(Don't take this comment as anyone can diagnose..that's another story, but at least you would have a DTC code to go on).....ex: If you have O2 sensor faults, any money on a cap is completely a waste..

Old 12-07-2015, 09:36 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Definitely pull your fault codes first. I didn't and bought a new gas cap that I didn't actually need.

That said, if the codes point toward the gas cap, I have an extra one if you want to borrow it lol

Old 12-07-2015, 10:27 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by telum01
Definitely pull your fault codes first. I didn't and bought a new gas cap that I didn't actually need.

That said, if the codes point toward the gas cap, I have an extra one if you want to borrow it lol
So you went down the same path ... that I am trying to avoid... I feel better.

I plan to get the codes read first.... But fwiw... regular (albeit plastic) modern car gas caps are a $10-$25 item... For that I would have one just extra on hand and could pop it on Friday when I go to the shop if that were the code... code would be cleared and I could avoid a 2nd trip as it would probably trip again while I get a new cap.. Yes the OEM sure is pretty... but yikes! If it were exposed like a Viper I could make the connection.

Last edited by RolexDaytona1; 12-07-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:24 AM
EAP
EAP is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi, does anyone know of a specific generic gas cap that will work on a 2006 V8 Vantage (e.g. Volvo, Jaguar, Ford, etc.). My car has been serviced at the dealer, but but the emission code is still there, and the dealer cannot pinpoint it to a deficient gas cap as some suggest. Maybe it is; maybe it is not. I rather try a generic before I purchase an original replacement which may not be the problem. Thank you for your help.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:27 AM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
I sometimes get the emissions code when I adjust my driving style for a fun weekend. The message and CEL will show for maybe a day or 2 and then disappear - check this thread out

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-required.html

Old 02-01-2018, 10:48 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
catching up on the gas cap.

I don't have an emission issue or dash light, however my gas cap is bad and the metal part came off.

The Stealership quoted me 500 bucks for replacement.

i remember someone had a link with around 50% of the price and less for the copper color version (mine is silver) but I can't find it anymore.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:37 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zettinger
catching up on the gas cap.

I don't have an emission issue or dash light, however my gas cap is bad and the metal part came off.

The Stealership quoted me 500 bucks for replacement.

i remember someone had a link with around 50% of the price and less for the copper color version (mine is silver) but I can't find it anymore.
I wonder what a Mazda 3 and Mazda 5 fuel cap look like? Hmm..

Old 02-02-2018, 04:38 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
i bought my silver one from ebay for $150, much better than stealership prices. ambits i know for a while had some for around $300-350 as well. when i bought my car it came w/a generic black plastic one, not sure where it was sourced from but i think i still have it.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:57 AM
EAP
EAP is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you all, will share if I can come up with a solution.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:53 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hi EAP....maybe reading Irish07 reply would be the answer...
this guy is smart and knows his Astons...

Good luck...

Old 02-27-2018, 12:19 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
Is there a particular year needed for the Mazda caps?

x-chr

Old 02-27-2018, 04:59 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
$500 gas cap... When the time comes, I'm not going to sell my car, I'm going to part it out.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:15 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by blue2000s
$500 gas cap... When the time comes, I'm not going to sell my car, I'm going to part it out.

LOL - I hear ya -

chr

Old 02-28-2018, 06:24 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by era2076
Is there a particular year needed for the Mazda caps?

x-chr
You just need one from the Ford era of Mazda/Volvo/Aston that is threaded around. Here's one from a Volvo. You could in theory gut this plastic cap and carry over the internals. Aston also just came out with a cheap plastic cap for all it's models ...the metal cap is now an option. Don't think the part number is listed though yet

Here's the Volvo version:
https://www.ipdusa.com/products/4676...filler-gas-cap

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cheap gas cap? Trying to fix Emissions message